Will the new UK "Right to Repair" force Leica to restart selling spares to third party repairers?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

The argument that only Leica know how to repair, can very quickly be shot down in flames. They would have to admit that they have sent some of their most valuable museum exhibits to Malcolm Taylor for repair, e.g. Oskar Barnack's cine camera and the 24V electric motor drive aviation 250GG. Leica UK sent the cameras they were going to present to Queen Elizabeth to Peter Grisaffi at CRR to be checked over prior to the presentation. 

Wilson

Dr Kaufmann has admitted that Leica AG had lost skill sets which had to be reinstated among his staff. The Camera Rescue program should in time provide a ready supply of people with such skills for the market as a whole. However the question of spare parts is a separate issue. Establishing the existence of an obligation to supply such parts is not a straightforward matter and in many cases it would be beyond the scope of the right to repair legislation. No constitutionally or internationally sound law could force manufacturers to hold supplies of parts for cameras that were made say 30-90 years ago. This is not a straightforward matter.

As I have said before, the solution to this lies outside the law.

William 

I have asked the LHSA if they can apply pressure on Leica to resume supply of spare parts to repairers. Maybe Leica should set up an authorised repairer scheme, which would benefit all of us Leica owners, along the same lines as Apple has, where you can look up online, find your nearest repairer and see a list of what devices they handle. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

24 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

I have asked the LHSA if they can apply pressure on Leica to resume supply of spare parts to repairers. Maybe Leica should set up an authorised repairer scheme, which would benefit all of us Leica owners, along the same lines as Apple has, where you can look up online, find your nearest repairer and see a list of what devices they handle. 

Wilson

Wilson, I am on the Board of LHSA and have recently been nominated for election as Vice President. I intend to pursue this with Leica AG, but I will be looking at workable practical solutions for such issues. The big issue just now is the shortage of skilled repair people. I will be looking after the European membership of LHSA in regard to such matters from now on.

William 

• Like 2