NEXT S SENSOR.. CCD OR CMOS??

Carmelo Labadie

It is not really a choice at this point...I don't believe there are generally available CCD sensors, certainly not ones like the Kodak CCD in the S2 and S006. As much as I love the color and image character from those cameras, I think few people these days would be willing to give up the ISO flexibility, live view and video potential of CMOS cameras. Furthermore, the next S quite possibly might be an EVF camera, in which case a CCD would be incompatible. Most of the experts I have come across seem to indicate that it is more about color tuning than it is about CCD vs CMOS at this stage. CCD does certain things better, but apparently even astronomy sensors are converting over to CMOS, as the technology has matured to the extent that it is comparable or better than CCD in nearly all applications. I am sure part of this is that it has simply had so much more research and investment due to the smartphone and camera market which has been transitioning away from CCD since the early 2000s. I think when people want a CCD look (I am among them), what they really want is richer color and contrast.

So...all that said, what I would like is a modern, very well tuned CMOS camera, but with a color palette and/or setting for applying some filmic curves. I would still like the DR, but it would be nice to have a more film-like highlight rolloff and color similar to the S2/S006. Right now I think the closest Leica to this is the SL2...the color is great, but the highlights can get away from you if you are not careful.

I can't say I've ever seen a Leica digital image that has poor color.  Lightroom is powerful at changing color  The sensor, whether Ccd or cmos has not effected my images as lighting does.  So, for the advancements that cmos affords I would choose it over Ccd.   For me, lighting is primary, lens secondary, sensor tertiary.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darylgo said:

I can't say I've ever seen a Leica digital image that has poor color.  Lightroom is powerful at changing color  The sensor, whether Ccd or cmos has not effected my images as lighting does.  So, for the advancements that cmos affords I would choose it over Ccd.   For me, lighting is primary, lens secondary, sensor tertiary.  

Indeed. The best summary I've heard is: One is Light. Two is Composition. Three is Everything Else. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Indeed. The best summary I've heard is: One is Light. Two is Composition. Three is Everything Else. 

Yes, couldn't agree more, two is composition.   It gets very muddy when creating a hierarchy.  

6 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

Then, Leica is not needed :) 

Scary conclusion, logic is overrated.  🙂

56 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Yes, couldn't agree more, two is composition.   It gets very muddy when creating a hierarchy.  

Scary conclusion, logic is overrated.  🙂

I don't disagree with your conclusion. Don't know how to rate them in order but light and composition certainly important, so are color, pattern, subject...

Now back to OP. I don't expect any future CCD based cameras at all. Personally, S006 brought the most enjoyment to me over all S body used (I never touched S3, though it is a 007 but sensor). The real physical speed dial is big big for me in field, Nowadays, I almost never use any auto (exposure or focus) with S. I also happen to like its color the most out of any cameras. (with or without edit/process) 

The old school shutter sound/delay perfectly complement old tech as well, it is a camera I enjoy to use. bar none.  

Edited by ZHNL

Am 1.7.2021 um 08:22 schrieb Carmelo Labadie:

Hi all,If you had a choice of CCD or CMOS (with live view) in the next S which would you prefer ?

CCD. But ......

The CCD sensor can only be used up to ISO 400. Above that, the noise is too high.

Now you have to decide .....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Besides what some said about not being available, the S006 has a CCD for those that prefer it.  I had both a Leica M8 and M9, which were CCD and play with my M9 now and then, but I found the Leica SL2-S to be the closest yet to the S007 in terms of dynamic range and color.  I have always been able to tweak a CMOS photo to look a lot like a CCD photo, but I don’t do that often.  Here is why, even if CCD were available, I would still choose CMOS.

I print a lot of my work on paper.  Paper prints, even with the newest ink sets, don’t have the ‘saturation’ range of the CCD.  The colors fall outside what is printable.  So, even with some prints using my S007 files, I have to de-saturate some colors to get good details on a print.  All of this is not true with a digital image because those saturated colors are more easily reproduced with technology.

I’m ot saying it cannot be done, but for me, the CCD can take more work to get great prints.  The CMOS does not…

What I worry most about is dynamic range.  The S007 has great dynamic range, and while the S3 is listed as just a little more, I take landscape images on the coast and sunrise/sunset images test dynamic range to the point that my SL2 doesn’t cut it.  I moved to the Sl2-S to get most of that back, but the image size is 24mp instead of 47mp.  So, I’m not sold yet on the high density CMOS sensors.

Good question! @Carmelo Labadie

• Like 2

8 hours ago, frame-it said:

nice..id like to see that if you can post a before and after pic

You might be interested in this 3 part series published by David Farkas six years ago.  (Part 3 includes links to the first two parts)…

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2015/03/the-great-debate-ccd-vs-cmos-part-3/

The better test, of course, is to make one’s own prints, under more varied conditions.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, setuporg said:

I really hope it won't be Malevich's Black Square...:). At this point any kind of next sensor will do.:)

Never heard of Malevich's Black Square.  Google says it's pre-art, and that it has religious implications in Russia with it's placement.  

Given that google is correct :-), wouldn't a black square be exactly what a sensor is?  

• Haha 1