Firmware Update 4.1 For Leica CL

Interesting. You wouldn't expect Leica to update firmware in a camera that has no future (as some other posts here have suggested) - maybe there is a new model coming, but delayed, and this is to keep current users engaged till then. 

Not that I've noticed any bugs that need fixed.  

Edited by LocalHero1953

Here we go again, dancing around maintaining camera settings and photo sequence numbers.  Can anyone remind me of the steps or shall I search the forum ... or just ignore the update - I have not noticed any problems!

As Paul says, it is encouraging that Leica continue to suppor the camera.  Maybe the firmware includes preparation for some future announcements not yet disclosed?  One can but dream 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rob_w said:

Here we go again, dancing around maintaining camera settings and photo sequence numbers.  Can anyone remind me of the steps or shall I search the forum ... or just ignore the update - I have not noticed any problems!

As Paul says, it is encouraging that Leica continue to suppor the camera.  Maybe the firmware includes preparation for some future announcements not yet disclosed?  One can but dream 🙂

I don't bother with maintaining image sequence numbers, but I always export my user profiles before updating (to the same SD card that I use for the new f/w, but it's never caused problems before).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, rob_w said:

Here we go again, dancing around maintaining camera settings and photo sequence numbers.  Can anyone remind me of the steps or shall I search the forum ...

The steps i don't know but my modest ones are as follows. 

Assuming your last pic file is 1030746.
Remove the card having that file on it and insert a blank card instead.
Main menu 4 > Reset Image numbering > Yes. Then take one pic and the camera will create a 1000001 file.
Redo the process three times until the camera creates a 1030001 file. 
Now switch your camera off, remove the blank card, insert your original card, switch the camera on and the numbering will follow 1030746 exactly.

• Like 4

I updated mine and don't notice any difference.  Maybe it just fixes the bugs you can't see or didn't know you had.  It must do something.  I don't know think Leica would just put an update out there for the heck of it.  

I don't understand the "camera that has no future" comment.  Leica has always updated their camera models.  That doesn't make older models obsolete.  They're just not the latest model anymore.  Maybe they stop supporting it after a while but not everyone will run out to get the latest model every time a new one comes out.  

• Like 2

In step with everyone else, I can't see what bugs are fixed in this either. It might be useful if the information from Leica were more explicit, in case the update produces any unintended effect(s).

Again, I hope that this does mean some commitment by Leica to the future of this camera model. I haven't liked any camera so much, since the days of my Nikon F series (F2AS, F2SB and F3) film cameras.

• Like 1

I can see no changes and wonder whether it is just a statement that the CL is a camera with a future. Or maybe users are beta-testers for the groundwork for some significant changes to come in the future.

A bug fix release might fix some edge conditions in the use of the TL/SL lenses rather than any of the basic functions of the body, or it might have updates for the lens profiles that are not particularly obvious if you don't have those specific M or R lenses. Or it might improve operation with Leia FOTOs app on your smart device. Or it might improve battery power management... 

I dunno. I haven't noticed any particular problems that needed fixing. That said, I don't use SL or TL lenses at present, nor have I seen any issues using Leica FOTOs on my iPhone 11 Pro or iPad Pro 11". None of the lens profiles for my existing set of M and R lenses seem to have any issues either. 

I'll decide whether to install it when I see some more reports on what it actually fixes, I guess. :D

G

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

Won't be rushing to do this..firm believer in if it ain't broke..... would much prefer to know what these bugs are exactly.

yes   ...

MESSAGE TO LEICA CUSTOMER SUPPORT 

Issuing a firmware update with the statement "Bug fixes" as the only description of its content begs the question from every thinking user, "What is being fixed?" and "Did the update do what it is supposed to do?" There are, we understand, many minor fixes that really aren't worth drawing attention to, but to issue a firmware update with nothing other than the words "bug fixes" simply makes us all wonder, "What the heck is wrong with my camera that they're fixing?" as well as "... And what will go wrong if I install this update?"

G

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, ramarren said:

yes   ...

MESSAGE TO LEICA CUSTOMER SUPPORT 

Issuing a firmware update with the statement "Bug fixes" as the only description of its content begs the question from every thinking user, "What is being fixed?" and "Did the update do what it is supposed to do?" There are, we understand, many minor fixes that really aren't worth drawing attention to, but to issue a firmware update with nothing other than the words "bug fixes" simply makes us all wonder, "What the heck is wrong with my camera that they're fixing?" as well as "... And what will go wrong if I install this update?"

G

Couldn't agree more!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Updated my CL to firmware version 4.1 and comparing the DNGs to those that were taken with version 4.0 I have the impression that auto white balance is much closer to what I saw on location. Auto white balance with version 4.0 tended to be cooler than in reality. Now I do not have to make (as many) adjustments during post-production as before at least with regards to adjusting white balance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, amd said:

Updated my CL to firmware version 4.1 and comparing the DNGs to those that were taken with version 4.0 I have the impression that auto white balance is much closer to what I saw on location. Auto white balance with version 4.0 tended to be cooler than in reality. Now I do not have to make (as many) adjustments during post-production as before at least with regards to adjusting white balance.

Thanks! I'll do some test captures immediately before and after I do an installation so I can test for such differences. :D

G

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

Thanks! I'll do some test captures immediately before and after I do an installation so I can test for such differences. :D

G

Haha, and I'll sit on the fence and wait for your report if you don't mind 🙂.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Boojay said:

Haha, and I'll sit on the fence and wait for your report if you don't mind 🙂.

I hope it's a comfortable fence. You might be sitting there a good while. ;) 

G

• Haha 1