Leica's service on "seller refurbished camera"

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone knows if Leica's service would be different on a "seller refurbished camera"? I am not asking the warrantee.  

On the one hand, if a Leica camera was repaired or something by a non-Leica maintenance experts, I would expect no problem. But if a camera was "refurbished" to some degree, could it make difference?   

"seller refurbished camera"

If the seller is Sherry Krauter, Don Goldberg or Youxin Ye - you would be safe in buying the camera. 

Other than Leica Wetzlar, I cannot think of anyone besides these three that I would want to have worked on an M camera I was considering buying.  Before buying, I would also want to see a e-copy of the receipt from the repair person that lists the specifics of the repairs, and I would want the receipt to be included in the sale.

Otherwise, it could too easily end up like going to "Cooter's Discount Muffler Shop & Open Heart Surgery" for a Mitral valve replacement.

Edited by Herr Barnack

6 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Anyone knows if Leica's service would be different on a "seller refurbished camera"? I am not asking the warrantee.  

On the one hand, if a Leica camera was repaired or something by a non-Leica maintenance experts, I would expect no problem. But if a camera was "refurbished" to some degree, could it make difference?   

I would first want to know what "seller refurbished" means. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I would first want to know what "seller refurbished" means. 

I take it to mean the seller has had a fiddle. If they are a reputed Leica repairer it will be obvious. If the seller has had it serviced recently by an independent repairer they will say so. So the absence of any confirmation that it's been done to any external verifiable standard, it means absolutely everything and nothing. Treat as though not serviced*

* On certain SLRs tasks like changing light seals is hardly onerous, I have even done some myself with the camera working properly afterwards. But a Leica, as we know, is not for the amateur bodger.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I cannot think of anyone besides these three that I would want to have worked on an M camera I was considering buying

There are a few this side of 'the pond'. It is a fact Leica have sent their Museum cameras to Malcolm Taylor to fix, Camerworks and van Manen to name three.

• Like 1

I bought a Leica M2 Motor "in excellent condition" from the Leica Store in San Francisco.  It took a 3/4 overhaul from Don Goldberg to get it working.  You have to assume any of these old cameras you buy will need attention from one of the trusted repairman before it is reliable.  Consider it to be part of the price to be paid.

2 hours ago, zeitz said:

I bought a Leica M2 Motor "in excellent condition" from the Leica Store in San Francisco.  It took a 3/4 overhaul from Don Goldberg to get it working.  You have to assume any of these old cameras you buy will need attention from one of the trusted repairman before it is reliable.  Consider it to be part of the price to be paid.

Most Leica stores guarantee the proper functioning of their used gear.  Did Leica Store San Francisco cover the cost? 

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Most Leica stores guarantee the proper functioning of their used gear.  Did Leica Store San Francisco cover the cost? 

I didn't even ask.  1.  Where else would I get an M2 Motor camera.  2.  I always request a CLA from one of the repair shops when I buy a camera this old and plan to use it; so I anticipated the extra cost.

• Like 1

In this case it is Leica D-lux 109.  The body seems, according to other buyer’s post, having the LUMIX LX100 back with Dlux 109 front. Not sure it’s LX100 with a hacked DLUX 109 front or a DLUX 109 with a hacked LX100 back. The seller has sold probable close to 100 of this and not one complaints yet. I guess its firmware, user interface, etc. behaves as a Leica, 

I think the hybrid cosmetics is not a big deal, as long as it works as assumed. It is also priced so low that even not serviceable by Leica might be OK. 

I am just curious about the story behind it (might never find out) and what’s the Leica’s policy in the similar situations.