The SL2-S is making people look... wide?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course one can ask and Leica will certainly give a reasonable and courteous reply, but don't expect any other answer than " this is perfectly normal for an electronic  shutter"  I agree that it would settle the matter. There is even a colloquial name for it: "the Jello Effect"   It might be possible that data readout slows down as the buffer fills -it is a reasonable hypothesis- , but I am not sure whether that  is really the case,  as the camera does not slow down shooting video. Another explanation might be that one moves the camera more during the end of a burst.

Still, it is not a specific Leica phenomenon. Just google "electronic shutter distortion" and your screen will fill up with Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, etc.  It is not for nothing that even mirrorless cameras have a mechanical shutter.

https://www.fujixseries.com/forums/topic/10043-electronic-shutter-distortion/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jaapv said:

Why should one do this? It is a well-known effect of electronic shutters in general - on all brands.  Perfectly normal on nearly all CMOS sensors.  Slow focal plane shutters will do the same, known since the early 1900-rds.

I've been shooting weddings silently for years, starting with the Sony A7r2, then the Sony A9 and now the Leica SL2 (not the S model).

Outdoor photos are completely fine with the SL2. As I said earlier the only time I see a warped image is if I accidentally press the shutter as I'm swinging the camera down to my belt clip to grab my other SL2. When shooting couples outside I never get any rolling shutter. I'm sure if I handed them a golf club and asked them to swing it around we'd see some but for normal shooting it's fine. Even shots of them walking to/from me are 100% ok.

With the A9, you can extend that & do the same indoors. The sensor is literally designed to be run in silent the whole time and the only time you'd use mechanical is for flash/ studio strobe.

I know what you are saying is technically correct but in real life - it's fine.

Edited by Gavin Cato

Well, it is the first time we had this issue reported on an SL model - I guess it has to do with individual usage.  Each of us, pro or amateur,  uses a camera slightly differently. Or maybe the way Leica set the camera up (possibly slower readout  to improve video performance? Video cameras are especially prone) makes the effect more pronounced on this model. Who knows? I guess Leica does ;)