voigtlander,the best leica lenses in the world

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The brand is on fire with some spectacular performers.

35mm apo ,50mm apo, the new version of the 35mm f1.4 nokton to name just a few of whats available for leica or sony users.

I own the 40mm f1.4 sc which has been around for years but also the 21mm f1.4 aspherical nokton which features a floating element and amazing performance as well as top class build quality.

Comparison reviews on the leica v voigtlander APO  reviews? don't hold your breath on that as leica will not be offering any reviewers their  lenses for free.

My 21mm v the summilux ? nothing out there.

Is the voigtlander production line of sony/leica lenses good or bad for leica?

All the voigtlander lenses are easily available by the way at least in the UK [robert white] and others 

Why are lenses such as the noctilux reissue ,apo summicrom and even the 21mm sem hard to find when all voigtlander/cosina lenses can be purchased at the click of a button?

3 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

The brand is on fire with some spectacular performers...

Is the voigtlander production line of sony/leica lenses good or bad for leica?

I owned the Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton v.1 and sold it off many moons ago - maybe it's time to replace it.

With regard to Voigtlander lenses being good/bad for Leica, it seems to me that anything that encourages photographers to buy and use an M camera is a good thing. 

Voigtlander lenses are a steal compared to the prices of the M lens lineup; if that helps photographers get into the M system in an more affordable way, how can that be a bad thing?  I cant see Voigtlander lenses stealing many sales at all from Leica.

A new Voigtlander lens paired with a used M camera would get a photographer started in the world of Leica for an affordable price, which can only be good for Leica.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

While I recently sold my Voigtlander lenses (4.5/15mm and 4/21mm), I am tempted by their new 2/28mm. First results on the FM forum look very good. Would be a nice small lens to keep on the CL for most situations. I really like that they use silver chrome again for this lens (confirmed by Stephen Gandy), which Leica meanwhile seems to use for limited edition lenses only. I agree, more lens choice is good for Leica.

The 21mm f1.4 Summilux is my most used lens and I am sure is one of Leica’s best. I would like to try the Voigtlander to compare. From experience as a user of both brands I can say *in general* the modern slower aperture Leica lenses are probably more or less equal to the Voigtlanders and if they are “better” then not by much. The faster Leica lenses like the wide angle Summilux focal lengths have a “character” beyond just sharp and contrast. So I am interested in the 21/1.4 VC. My complaint about the modern f2.8, f2.5, f3.5, f3.8 Leica lenses is they are too sharp and high contrast unrecognisable from the Zeiss ZM and Cosina VM so I agree with the premise of the OP for those crop of lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The postman delivered my 15mm 4.5 just yesterday, so I can't say anything yet.
But reading Matt Osborne, Ken Rockwell a.s.o. I am confident in my choice.
Unbeatable price/performance ratio and optical excellence sometimes above Leica, they say.
Best.

Jos

I used to own Nokton 50 1.2 and still use my beloved Skopar 21/4. 

Nokton is IMHO inferior to Summilux ASPH 50. Not regarding sharpness, price, size, etc. but regarding "wow" effect. Relatives looking at our family albums tend to unconsiously prefer Lux photos...

As per Voigtländer lenses in general: I think they are making a marvelous job. The only thing that is holding them back is proper M mount "budget" camera. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cobram said:

As per Voigtländer lenses in general: I think they are making a marvelous job. The only thing that is holding them back is proper M mount "budget" camera. 

I agree, as a happy owner of the 15 V3;  but... making a camera is all another matter... they did a good job on film, indeed... but is really a tiny niche, today... make and maintain a digital device, with all that it means in terms of sourced critical parts, is a task not comparable to make fine manual focus lenses.

Example... how ended the project of the "Russian M" that was announced time ago ? 

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Hi, of my (currently) 31 M mount lenses  9 are from VOIGTLÄNDER with FL 12, 15, 15, 21, 28, 35, 40, 50, 75.

I am quite happy with most of them (my 1,4/40 screeches, when focussing). - My latest is the Apo-Lanthar 2/50.

I cannot say that VOIGTLÄNDER makes the best Leica lenses - I do not have all the ZEISS or Leica counterparts for comparisons - , but I can say that they offer good value for money.

(But - I also enjoy my ZEISS and Leica lenses ... ---)

23 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

I was thinking this↑ exact same thing recently - I'm glad you started a thread.

Voigtlander's QC is now quite impressive.  All the Voigtlander lenses I've purchased over the last few years have been flawless in their build.  They even get the details right: the aperture ring turning resistance and "clicks" are just right.

Moreover, the new line of f/1.5 and f/2 lenses genuinely strike a great balance between IQ and size:  perfect for rangefinder photography IMHO.

—Peter.

• Like 1

For leica i think its a good thing if more people can get on the leica m ladder and perhaps still really want a leica lens later on but on the other hand i feel voigtlander have played a big part in the summarit line being dropped from the line up.

Just my theory.

I guess?  Still, my v5 50 Cron feels significantly higher quality than my VC Nokton 35/1.4 II.  Especially in the focus tension and resistance feel.  All around, the Cron feels and works better, IMHO.  I would also rate my C-Biogon 35/2.8 above the Nokton for overall quality.  But at the end of the day, I love them all :-)

22 hours ago, jaeger said:

They are very good especially the 75/1.5, 21/1.4 & 35/1.2 IMO.  I'm not buying anymore leica products and slowly switching to vintages and probably VM down the road.

I just got the 75/1.5 last night and shot with it today for the first time. Definitely a keeper. It's my first non-Leica M lens in nearly 40 years of shooting Leica m cameras.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 10

34 minutes ago, Danner said:

I guess?  Still, my v5 50 Cron feels significantly higher quality than my VC Nokton 35/1.4 II.  Especially in the focus tension and resistance feel.  All around, the Cron feels and works better, IMHO.  I would also rate my C-Biogon 35/2.8 above the Nokton for overall quality.  But at the end of the day, I love them all 🙂

My nokton 40mm f1.4 is not as well made as my silver/brass 50mm summicrom v5 but my voigtlander 21mm f1.4 asph is at least as good as the summicrom in terms of quality build and tactile feel of the lens.

I just wonder if the other modern aspherical/apo design lenses are like my 21mm and the older design lenses are slightly below that level?

I hardly use my 50mm summicrom v5 because i much prefer the rendering  from my 40mm f1.4 sc nokton!! but thats just me.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:31 PM, steve 1959 said:

Why are lenses such as the noctilux reissue ,apo summicrom and even the 21mm sem hard to find when all voigtlander/cosina lenses can be purchased at the click of a button?

Another question is why are the Voigtlander lenses a fraction of the cost of the Leica lenses when the quality and performance is so high? It causes me to wonder if Leica are pricing themselves into oblivion. I love the Leica brand but I've grown very tired of paying $7K to $10K for new lenses.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 8