Best Photo Sharing Site 2021

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm at the point where I would like to create an online gallery of my favourite images. I've been researching various sites but it appears they have undergone a lot of changes and recommendations in articles vary to the point where I don't know which direction to go in.

I'm looking for something I can share with just a few people who are interested in my shots for now but maybe gaining some exposure in time. 

What do you think is the best photo sharing site in 2021 and what makes it stand out from the rest?

Edited by Harvard Kiwi
Clumsy typing

3 hours ago, Marc B-C said:

I cannot give a definitive answer but I use Flickr with pro membership. I like the way it presents the photos on screen. You can also create / select groups to share the photo’s with.

+1

Flickr Pro account is a good value. PRO users can share JPG files in native size, also video clips, there is time limit.  If you post less than 1000 images you can use free version, at least for now.  Again form memory it could be that free account users have somewhat limited file size, maybe 2000 pixel on long edge. I wouldn't use Flickr as backup storage rather as online exhibition platform.

User can set up access, copyright level, allow viewing to selected few, known as "friends & family" or make it viewable to all. 

Edited by mmradman

I've been using SmugMug for a long time.  It meets my needs of mostly sharing semi-private galleries with extended family members.  I also store some images posted on social media in public galleries.  Like Jeff S, I don't know about 'best', either.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/28/2021 at 10:09 AM, Harvard Kiwi said:

.......but maybe gaining some exposure in time. 

The dream for a lot of people is to have lots of followers providing thousands of likes and this is what Instagram caters for. But the people who get recognition on Instagram have to work really hard on the social side of social media even to become a very minor star. But otherwise it is easy to live the dream on Instagram, who knows what could happen.

I use Flickr Pro, it's efficient, and friends and family don't have to join if they just want to see your pictures. Some people use it competitively adding photos to as many relevant groups as they can, and then hopefully get lots of likes and comments, but you can also just use it to help with editing to see how your photos feel in the public gaze.

Alternatively you could have your own website, but then you lose any casual interactivity and the ability to make friends with other photographers and if you are not careful it can be a bit of a vanity project.

As has been said before, don't use any platform as a backup for your photos even if you can distribute or sell them from the platform.

All of these are awesome responses so thank you to you all. I didn't realise they were here until 250swb quoted my comment so I apologise for the delayed response. 

Zenfolio looks interesting and I believe I may have set up a SmugMug account at some stage as I remember seeing some emails from them. 

What's "best" as with most things is subjective and I'm grateful that you each gave an opinion as opposed to just stating that it is up to my preferences.

I was leaning towards Flickr and read a lot of reviews. While most were positive, I always look for critical reviews with 2, 3, and 4 star ratings as well to see what potential issues I may face. Some suggested it was good back in the day but wasn't as good now but I am comfortable with giving that a shot.

My photography is a very private passion of mine and opening it up to others is a gradual process.

I'm quite critical of my images (and most things I do), and find that pushes me to do better next time. I do have a fear that external criticism that isn't constructive and isn't aimed at helping me improve (and which appears to be common in many areas of the internet) may reduce my enjoyment of this fantastic hobby.

I do this for pleasure (although, I have received payment from two organisations for commercial projects) as opposed to making a living from it, so it's important I keep that passion alive.

• Like 1