M8 and color filters for b/W conversion

rtai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a happy user of an M10M and wish I can have two because when I start travelling again I would like to have a back up. Unfortunately my wallet says no but I have an M8.2 I use occasionally for color with a 21mm Super Elmar-M with an uv/ir filter. If the shot looked better converted to b/W I would do so. So why not use it for b/W as my M10M back up? 

My question is: all my lenses have a yellow filter on them all Summilux models from 21mm to 50mm and if I use them on the M8.2 it would have a color cast of course but I’ll covert it to b/W anyway. Do color filter use help or hinder the conversion of does it matter at all?  While I can certain remove the color filter when using the M8.2 it is a hassle I want to avoid.

I preferred using my M8.2 with a UV/IR cut filter, for both color and b/w, even though some preferred no UV/IR filter for b/w. I never used colored filters on my M8.2, relying on color channels in PP, judiciously as desired, for DNG b/w conversions. I definitely wouldn’t want colored filters on when shooting color. If your M8.2 is a back-up rather than a companion second body, I wouldn’t think that you’d have much need for it, or for removing/exchanging filters.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Using a yellow filter on a color digital camera will not necessarily "hinder" a B&W conversion - but it may produce artifacts.

Keep in mind that every individual pixel of a color digital camera (except those with Foveon sensors) ALREADY has a color filter over it. Red, Green or Blue. That is how they are able to "see" in color in the first place.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter

If you then put a yellow filter over the lens, the blue-filtered camera pixels will essentially be blind (blue filters block yellow light, yellow filters block blue light - nothing gets through). Those pixels will just be pure black (or nearly so) and you will be losing ~1/4 of your potential brightness data.

That will likely result in "patchy" or excessively "noisy-looking" conversion of blue things (smooth blue skies in particular).

Since you already have the filtered lenses and the M8.2, you can experiment for yourself. But I suspect that you'll get cleaner results by removing the yellow filters on the lenses, and doing your "yellow-filtering" with conversion controls in post-processing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Basically the only filters that cannot be replicated in postprocessing are ND filters and Pol filters.  - and some effect filters like Star.  For the rest using the  colour options in converting will produce better results.