Lightroom default raw setting

Lightroom probably shows you the embedded JPG first and then it is forced to render a new one when you browse.

it is one of the workaround they have implemented to speed up the program. I know super annoying, especially when you are trying to finish a job and the thumbnail don't update the correction you have applied.

I can of course - do a universal selective cut and paste to apply the camera preset.  However - a) its annoying to have to do b) I would think that each photo would have a slghtly different preset as the "in camera corrections" are lens dependent.  I have the LR setting set to "use camera profile" but it doesn't seem to work.  I believe I have the same issue with my EOS R as well.

Don´t blame LR. The M10 has no camera profile. Leica never gave ones to the M cameras. What You mean (and what You can choose manually) is the embedded profile, that the camera uses to creat jpg and what LR only uses, when there is no Adobe standard or Adobe color profile for a new camera.

39 minutes ago, elmars said:

Don´t blame LR. The M10 has no camera profile. Leica never gave ones to the M cameras. What You mean (and what You can choose manually) is the embedded profile, that the camera uses to creat jpg and what LR only uses, when there is no Adobe standard or Adobe color profile for a new camera.

Adobe (at least in LR Classic) provides support for all M cameras, generally not too long after camera release. Occasionally they even revise them, as they did by adjusting the tone curve for the M10 Monochrom.  I prefer using my own profiles, presets and/or default import settings, in addition to image specific adjustments, but Adobe does provide other choices or starting points.

Jeff

13 hours ago, elmars said:

No, you can change from one of the default Adobe profiles to the Leica M10 profile in the drop down menu in ACR and ACR will process the image (to a TIFF for example, not just a JPEG) according to the profile you set. Personally I don't like the standard M10 profile, it looks very amateurish and over saturated especially with Summer colours.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Leica embedded profile is almost certainly the base the camera uses to make jpegs, but the mechanics of how Leica creates an in-camera jpeg are not part of that profile.

The Leica embedded profile (as LR/ACR sees it) is two Color Matrices (one for each standard illuminant)

The Adobe profile for Leica (and other cameras) is (in my 2012 LR6 anyway and they do change from time to time) is 2 color matrices, 2 forward matrices, 2 hue/sat/delta tables and a LUT

The color matrices are connected to the camera's WB setting (the matrices are static, but the AsShotNeutral DNG tag varies), the forward matrices map the standard illuminants to the D50 wp (using the Bradford chromatic adaptation method), the hue/sat/delta tables are much like the HSL tool in LR/PS/etc and the LUT provides tonality and hue changes.

The lack of the above entries in the embedded profile means that LR effectively has to guess (sic) things like the D50 wp, which is why for example the "M10 embedded" profile can look OK in natural light but often looks too orange under artificial lights. (Because a guessed chromatic adaption from D65 to D50 isn't such a stretch, but from StdA to D50 it would greatly benefit from a forward matrix)

Whether or not one likes 'adobe colours' is of course subjective, but make no mistake - the adobe .dcp file for your Leica is a way more finished and complex product than the one that Leica embeds into its DNGs

• Like 1