M240 / Voigtländer lens: How to bring up correct framelines

Casual

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to Leica M in particular.

I recently bought a M240 M-P and while I'm waiting for a Voigtländer Nokton 35mm to arrive, I'm using a 40mm Nokton f 1.4 instead.

Under Manual Lens Detection I have selected 35 f/1.4 asph 11874/11883 but I seem to be getting the wrong framlines, those of 50/75mm.

How can I bring up the framelines for 35mm?

I am on firmware 2.1.0.0

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Casual

• Casual changed the title to M240 / Voigtländer lens: How to bring up correct framelines
1 hour ago, Casual said:

How can I bring up the framelines for 35mm?

I seem to recall that the flange of the lens can be filed down to bring up 35mm instead of 50mm frame lines. I did it easily on a Summicron 40/2 but i have no experience with the CV 40/1.4. 

This is expected behaviour. The lens menu just makes sure the files are tagged with the correct metadata, and appropriate digital corrections are applied. For framelines, even the digital M cameras use a version of the mechanical frameline selection system that dates back to the 1950s. The only Leica with a 40mm frameline is the original film CL from the 1970s, and this frameline is always visible rather than selected by the lens (you'll see both 40mm and 50mm framelines when a 40mm lens is mounted on that body). I've always been slightly horrified by the idea of taking a file to the mount to get a different frameline; it's a fairly common modification, but will devalue your lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

... will devalue your lens.

It will not. Owned, filed and sold Rokkor 40/2 latest, CLE version.  Nokton is nothing special lens, either. 

Film CLs and R3M(A) are very small market sector comparing to film and digital Ms and all kind of mirrorless, which not using framelines at all. 

Edited by Ko.Fe.

8 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

It will not. Owned, filed and sold Rokkor 40/2 latest, CLE version.  Nokton is nothing special lens, either. 

Film CLs and R3M(A) are very small market sector comparing to film and digital Ms and all kind of mirrorless, which not using framelines at all. 

It would to me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Not everyone wants to buy a modified lens, and some of the photos offered as online guides to the procedure show awful hack jobs, filing off far more than is necessary. Some people prefer the narrower framelines with these lenses in any case, especially if they have an older camera made before Leica shrunk the 50mm frame. And that Rokkor will no longer be compatible with the CLE it was made for, since (due to its unique frameline configuration) you'd now only see the 28mm frame.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anbaric said:

It would to me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Not everyone wants to buy a modified lens, and some of the photos offered as online guides to the procedure show awful hack jobs, filing off far more than is necessary. Some people prefer the narrower framelines with these lenses in any case, especially if they have an older camera made before Leica shrunk the 50mm frame. And that Rokkor will no longer be compatible with the CLE it was made for, since (due to its unique frameline configuration) you'd now only see the 28mm frame.

You could always request mount picture to see how it was filed.

I won't buy CLE these days (too old electronics and next to none service, parts)  and nor I'll by 40mm lens for film M with normal 35mm framelines. Here is 35 1.4 CV VM Nokton II just for 150 USD more

The only reason I have purchased 40mm lens for my digital M was because it is more accurate on squished "35" framelines.  

Thank you, everyone!

I can only post one message a day here, since I'm still new, but I'm not going to file away on my 40mm, it belongs to my Minolta CLE 🙄

So anyway, the problem should solve itself by tomorrow, as my 35mm arrives.

Once again, thank you and don't forget to go out and take a lot of photos, where ever you are!

- C