What is the ideal 35/50 lens pairing with the M10R and M10M?

KateStarr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you were advising someone who was going to buy two lenses from Leica's current M lens lineup (lenses that Leica is manufacturing today - nothing vintage) - a 35mm and a 50mm - for their M10R and M10Mono, which 35mm and which 50mm would you recommend? Assume that budget isn't an issue and that these are the only two M lenses and camera bodies this person will own.

Another way of thinking about it - what is the ideal 35 and 50mm lens pairing out of Leica's current lineup for the M10R/M?

vor 33 Minuten schrieb KateStarr:

If you were advising someone who was going to buy two lenses from Leica's current M lens lineup (lenses that Leica is manufacturing today - nothing vintage) - a 35mm and a 50mm - for their M10R and M10Mono, which 35mm and which 50mm would you recommend? Assume that budget isn't an issue and that these are the only two M lenses and camera bodies this person will own.

Another way of thinking about it - what is the ideal 35 and 50mm lens pairing out of Leica's current lineup for the M10R/M?

Apo35M, apo50M

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KateStarr said:

If you were advising someone who was going to buy two lenses from Leica's current M lens lineup (lenses that Leica is manufacturing today - nothing vintage) - a 35mm and a 50mm - for their M10R and M10Mono, which 35mm and which 50mm would you recommend? Assume that budget isn't an issue and that these are the only two M lenses and camera bodies this person will own...

I have asked myself this question more than once.  I keep coming up with more than one possibility,

APO 35mm & APO 50mm (for highest image quality);

Summilux 35mm ASPH & Summilux 50mm ASPH (for the more artistic rendering that is available at f/1.4);

- and -

Summilux 28mm ASPH & Summilux 50mm ASPH (because the 28mm focal length has its hooks in me, and for the more artistic rendering that is available at f/1.4);

-and-

Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 ASPH & Summarit 50mm f/2.4 (for high image quality, low price and feather lightness for travel), which I currently own with no complaints about either lens.  That said, there is just something about the APO and Summilux lenses that continues to haunt me.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, jaeger said:

At the end, you will get 20% Noct, 20% Summilux, 20% Summicron, 20% Any other Leica, 20% other made.  I guess it's the question about what type of images you're after and budget.

You might be right, but I tried to be clear in my original post that one should consider only Leica's current lineup and to assume that there are no budget constraints.

That said, your point about "what type of images" is a valid one for sure. I guess I would then amend the question to ask which current Leica 35 and 50 YOU would choose given your own preferences.

28 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

I have asked myself this question more than once.  I keep coming up with more than one possibility,

APO 35mm & APO 50mm (for highest image quality);

Summilux 35mm ASPH & Summilux 50mm ASPH (for the more artistic rendering that is available at f/1.4);

- and -

Summilux 28mm ASPH & Summilux 50mm ASPH (because the 28mm focal length has its hooks in me, and for the more artistic rendering that is available at f/1.4);

-and-

Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 ASPH & Summarit 50mm f/2.4 (for high image quality, low price and feather lightness for travel), which I currently own with no complaints about either lens.  That said, there is just something about the APO and Summilux lenses that continues to haunt me.

You've definitely got some interesting combos there for sure. I far prefer 35mm to 28mm, but that's just my personal preference. I've heard lots of folks rave about Leica's 28mm lens lineup.

I'm happy to see you suggest the 50mm Summilux. I thought everyone would say the APO.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

😉

For me, no 'ideal answer' possible.

We have our idea (or ideal) that would not be duplicated by someone else.

Even if budget is not limiting factor, size/weight may be next limiting factor.

We are lucky to have from Leica so many choices, why refuse to choose ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KateStarr said:

It isn't an ideal pairing. If you are only aiming for two lenses don't have them separated by the distance you can walk to get the alternate view. I can understand a 28mm and a 50mm, but not a 35mm and a 50mm. 

• Like 2

I can only tell you what I did. M10R + latest Summilux 35 + latest Summilux 50. The images they create give me great joy. I then added the latest Elmarit 28 as my third lens. Here's my reasoning...

• Lux 35: I call this my universal lens. I use it indoors, outdoors, wide open, and stopped down. It's my truck that can climb mountain roads and also get groceries. I could travel the world with just this lens and have no regrets.
  • Lux 50: This is my favorite people lens. I tend to prefer a bit wider focal length, but 50mm at 1.4 is just magical with people shots. This is the best 50 I've ever used.
  • Elmarit 28: I was missing 28mm and I really enjoy it as my lightweight walk around lens. It doesn't get talked about much, but it's a gem. It's so small (remove the hood), light, reasonably priced (for a Leica), and so much fun to use. Lately I've been bringing this as my primary lens when out waling around and keep one of the Lux's in the bag just in case. Usually the 50. 

I considered the 35 and 50 APOs, but decided against them. I simply can't give up the joy that a 1.4 gives me. I especially like having that 1.4 option when indoors.

Edited by Crem
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

It isn't an ideal pairing. If you are only aiming for two lenses don't have them separated by the distance you can walk to get the alternate view. I can understand a 28mm and a 50mm, but not a 35mm and a 50mm. 

Just because you can’t understand it doesn’t make it true for others.  Suited me just fine for many years. Perspective matters for many.

Jeff

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KateStarr said:

what is the ideal 35 and 50mm lens pairing out of Leica's current lineup for the M10R/M?

Depends for what purpose. To get sharp results indoor and outdoor in a yet compact package i would certainly take my 35/1.4 FLE and 50/1.4 asph. I have no experience with M10R/M though.

3 hours ago, jaeger said:

At the end, you will get 20% Noct, 20% Summilux, 20% Summicron, 20% Any other Leica, 20% other made.  I guess it's the question about what type of images you're after and budget.

I agree - "I guess it's the question about what type of images you're after and budget"

• Thanks 1

KateStarr,   I second Herr Barnack's comments at his post # 4.   As I tell my workshop students, the camera and lens selection are tools that will help transfer your creative vision and render it into a photograph.  I suggest your lens selection might well be based on your genre of photography and how you want to render your creative photographs.   Herr Barnack's comments capture the attributes of how the M lenses render.  Ultimately, it is your decision what will work best for your photographs.  r/ Mark   

Edited by LeicaR10

There is no universal "ideal". It all depends upon what you think is important. For example, size & weight vs "the very most expensive and prestigious" are going to result in completely different choices.  So, I think you have to ask yourself what's important to you.

For me, size and weight and "no-bad-manners" are of utmost importance.  So, for example,  of Leica's current 50mm lenses, only the 50mm Summicron comes close to "small and light" but it tends to flare so relative to it's cost it fails to meet the  "no-bad-manners" requirement. So, it's a very interesting lens but far from ideal for me. 

1 hour ago, BradS said:

So, for example,  of Leica's current 50mm lenses, only the 50mm Summicron comes close to "small and light" but it tends to flare so relative to it's cost it fails to meet the  "no-bad-manners" requirement. So, it's a very interesting lens but far from ideal for me. 

Shouldn’t be too difficult to find a 50 M Summarit, which is also compact, with less tendency to flare.

Jeff

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Shouldn’t be too difficult to find a 50 M Summarit, which is also compact, with less tendency to flare.

Jeff

Good point. I've kinda been looking for one, and you're right they are plentiful - even in like new-ish condition...I've just not gotten very serious about buying one.  I have a 5cm Collapsible Summicron that I really like....I'm trying to be happy with what I have. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KateStarr said:

one should consider only Leica's current lineup.

The point is that one shouldn't and most M photographers don't.  As "best" depends on the photographic use intended there are often better choices in discontinued lens types or other brands.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1