I ordered the m10-r black paint

JimmyCheng

17 minutes ago, huntca said:

The key on the bottom plate does not stay flush against the body. It flops up/down on its own.

Same here. On my first m10rbp, which I returned because of a shutter issue, it was fine. On my second, the shutter was fine but the bottom plate had the same issue. 
Leica ordered me a new top plate, which three months later has never arrived. 
In the meantime, I found a quick fix. I ordered a roll of transparent double sided tape. Cut a small piece and left it under the key that moves. It’s strong enough to hold it in place. Also, even though I’ve removed the plate countless times, I haven’t changed the piece of tape in over two months and it still works perfectly. 

it seems like a detail, but it used to drive me mad and ruin my shooting experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, huntca said:

I've been using Leica film bodies for a while and just picked up an M10BP because it's beautiful... but one minor thing has been driving me nuts. The key on the bottom plate does not stay flush against the body. It flops up/down on its own. The plate has not un-locked itself (yet?), but the film bodies have much more solid engagement and I'm curious if this is normal for a digital M or if my key is loose. 😆

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yeah, definitely not normal. This should be fixed. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Steven said:

In the meantime, I found a quick fix. I ordered a roll of transparent double sided tape. Cut a small piece and left it under the key that moves. It’s strong enough to hold it in place. Also, even though I’ve removed the plate countless times, I haven’t changed the piece of tape in over two months and it still works perfectly. 

it seems like a detail, but it used to drive me mad and ruin my shooting experience. 

I had a similar idea, although my tape is black instead of clear, but I'm likely going to just pick up a grip and toss the bottom plate back in the box for now.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Curious of the shutter issue you had?

Shutter didn’t work. It started fine. After a couple days it starting getting stiff, and i would have to push stronger and stronger on it to take a shot, which would introduce shake. Eventually, it just stopped working, within less than two weeks of owning it. Many others have had the same issue, as seen on the forum, and confirmed by the Leica store to me. This episode shall be remembered as the Shuttergate.

26 minutes ago, Steven said:

Shutter didn’t work. It started fine. After a couple days it starting getting stiff, and i would have to push stronger and stronger on it to take a shot, which would introduce shake.

Aaaah, you mean the shutter BUTTON. Shutter is something else. I was curious  how I missed the shutter issues case lol.

• 3 weeks later...

To all my detractors, you should know that there is a famous Hong Kong leica dealer (his name starts with an F, ends with an I, and is three letters long)  that saw my sandpaper brassed M10R on Instagram. Since then, he’s been harassing me to buy it from me, day after day, for more money than it costs new. 
He would probably, in turn, sell it for even more money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:21 PM, Steven said:

Shutter didn’t work. It started fine. After a couple days it starting getting stiff, and i would have to push stronger and stronger on it to take a shot, which would introduce shake. Eventually, it just stopped working, within less than two weeks of owning it. Many others have had the same issue, as seen on the forum, and confirmed by the Leica store to me. This episode shall be remembered as the Shuttergate.

Funny story, I was in Wetzlar on business the other day and gave my M10-R to Customer Care at Leica HQ in Leitz Park to check the infamous sticky shutter button which eventually became not really sticky, but would refuse to fire every 30-50 frames or so The very kind staff said "it will be half an hour to check, we will call you" and after 4 hours they finally did call. "Sorry it took so long, we had to replace the ENTIRE release mechanism. A known problem with M10-R Black Paint."
At least I got the coupon for a non-alcoholic drink in Cafe Leitz. The shutter feels like a well worn M2 now - awesome.

I agree with posts that say the owner can do what they want to their camera. There is no right or wrong, just opinions.

I appreciate an organic change of appearance more than manipulated and accelerated change of appearance. The time and travel stories that accompany a worn camera body are what appeals to to me and feeds my appreciation for organic COA.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 11:36 PM, Steven said:

To all my detractors, you should know that there is a famous Hong Kong leica dealer (his name starts with an F, ends with an I, and is three letters long)  that saw my sandpaper brassed M10R on Instagram. Since then, he’s been harassing me to buy it from me, day after day, for more money than it costs new. 
He would probably, in turn, sell it for even more money. 

To all the naysayers and haters of the artificially brassed M10-R black paint - Peter Karbe, head of Leica optical design team and the man personally in charge of your awesome APOs and summiluxes loved mine. Here we are, Mr. Karbe & me, both happy & bubbly in the newly opened Ernst Leitz Museum in Wetzlar.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

To all the naysayers and haters of the artificially brassed M10-R black paint in general - Peter Karbe, head of Leica optical design team and the man personally in charge of your awesome APOs and summiluxes loved mine. Here we are, Mr. Karbe & me, both happy & bubbly in the newly opened Ernst Leitz Museum in Wetzlar.

You look so happy to be with him ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pixeleater said:

I agree with posts that say the owner can do what they want to their camera. There is no right or wrong, just opinions.

I appreciate an organic change of appearance more than manipulated and accelerated change of appearance. The time and travel stories that accompany a worn camera body are what appeals to to me and feeds my appreciation for organic COA.

Of course people can do what they like with their cameras, and others can express opinions about them - whether appreciating the look, or not so much.  There is only a small group using the word “haters”.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, blackpaint-R said:

Is it an early batch problem?

Seems like it. I bought three from the first batch. Two out of the three had this issue right out of the box. At first I thought it ruined my summer. But then it changed my life. Because it forced me to shoot film for two month. And then I never looked back. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2021 at 2:32 AM, Steven said:

And I think I’ve already posted that, but LeicaFai is trying to buy me mine. The man who can source any rare leica product you ask him for wants my artificially brassed M10R! Too funny. 

This is a pretty bizarre thread... In most hobbies, custom mods might not add value, but it will always find a buyer who appreciates it. I don't think I've ever seen a brand new motorcycle kept stock off the line... bits are changed, paint is modified, holes are drilled... you can't ride all the time so you tinker with it in the shed and make it look different to all the others on the road just for the hell of it and no-one bats an eye. I can't see a single reason why anyone would be against someone modifying a camera to suit them be it aesthetically or otherwise. You've got to carry this thing every day you might as well make it a little bit more interesting to look at.  

I love the brassed look, not because it looks old just because it looks interesting. There are enough pristine Leicas sitting in drawers or up on a shelf somewhere for those who want to buy a bone stock camera on the used market and you're not spitting in anyones face by modifying it. 

It's a digital camera, you've got MAYBE 7-8 years of use before it's well and truly outdated, and within that time it will probably be used less and less as newer cameras take over your shooting time. You're not going to be handing this down to any grandkids like a mechanical film camera, electronics date fast that's just how it is. Good on you Steve for sticking to your guns, keeping it respectful in your replies, and for what it's worth I think you did a pretty decent job with the cosmetic mods. I can absolutely see why you might have interested buyers.

• Like 1

It's true that folks are always modifying cars/motorcycles BUT, having been in the car/moto mod/performance business, regardless of the mod, it inevitably reduces the resale value of the vehicle - often considerably.  With rare exceptions, folks don't want/trust "YOUR" modifications; they want to do their own.  Most of us make whatever mods because we want to and don't care about resale value.  BUT to me the interesting part of this is that apparently, if I read right, the artificially-brassed new camera is worth more than an out-of-the-box (pristine) new one?  Now THAT is definitely in the bizarro world!  Of course, nowadays the bizarro world seems to be the one we live in.

Anyway, as has been pointed out, if you own something, it's your business what you do to it.  For me, I have never cared for the brassed camera look. I might be thinking about finding some matching black paint and get out my air brush!  :)  

• Like 1