I ordered the m10-r black paint

JimmyCheng

On 8/1/2021 at 11:59 AM, dsetiono01 said:

A couple of us did, if you scroll  a few pages back.

Was able to send it back to my local service centre and they were able to fix it without sending them back to Wetzlar. Basically it involved them opening up another brand new regular M10R unit to grab some components and replaced the defective M10R BP one.

Not sure if all service centres have the same approach/ autonomy (others in the threads say they were able to fix it by tightening some loose screw), but i got mine back working perfectly now (hopefully forever). It sucks but yeah it is what it is...

Just got my mine, only to charge up the battery and find that the shutter would only fire through FOTOS or intervalometer.  Leica NJ walked me through a reset the involved removing the SD card (didn't help), quoted me 3 weeks for repair, and recommended that I just return it to the dealer.  The dealer said (hopefully) 3 weeks for replacement.  Sigh...

Edited by Paul925

7 hours ago, Paul925 said:

Just got my mine, only to charge up the battery and find that the shutter would only fire through FOTOS or intervalometer.  Leica NJ walked me through a reset the involved removing the SD card (didn't help), quoted me 3 weeks for repair, and recommended that I just return it to the dealer.  The dealer said (hopefully) 3 weeks for replacement.  Sigh...

Apparently the shutter issue of early BP models can be fixed easily in any repair shop. It’s just a lose screw inside the shutter mechanism. 

4 minutes ago, Steven said:

You're calling for it! But it's all right! bring it on ! 

No no, please do not get me wrong, nobody is calling for anything. It is just an observation, and an interesting one. I have zero hate for anything, nor am I looking for some. I did what you did to my M10-R too 😉

• Haha 1

Just now, Al Brown said:

No no, please do not get me wrong, nobody is calling for anything. It is just an observation, and an interesting one. I have zero hate for anything, nor am I looking for some. I did what you did to my M10-R too 😉

I know ! I was just joking ! 

I just find the whole idea baffling.  When I saw Brian Brake’s battered M4, now held in Te Papa Tongarewa (our National Museum), I thought it was fascinating, with its black paint worn off and scratched; not because it was beautiful, but because it reflected the realities of his journeys through China, in the grips of the Cultural Revolution, and other interesting places.

I just don’t get taking sandpaper to an expensive, beautiful new black paint Leica.  But each to her or his own.  Hate?  No.  Mockery, well sometimes it is too tempting!

49 minutes ago, Steven said:

Third most dangerous human behavior i can think of, right after hate and judgement. 

Selfishness, anger, jealousy, etc. They all derive from ignorance. Judgement is ok depending on the intent. For example - and without wishing to reopen the debate - when a while ago I mentioned the red edges I and others could see on some or your photos, there was no ill intent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Third most dangerous human behavior i can think of, right after hate and judgement. 

Then you will go through life misinterpreting the intentions of others, and being needlessly hurt by the interactions of people who mean you no harm.  For someone who posts so prolifically, sharing opinions and passions, do you really expect others to universally applaud your contributions?

I have zero reasons to “hate” you, or what you post.  But, to be honest, some of it I struggle to take seriously.  Sanding a brand new camera is a case in point.  You post, anticipating praise (which you get), but surely you can cope with others looking askance …  The black paint finish on the M10-R and other Leicas is beautiful.  It’s a badge of honour, I guess, to see it worn, like an old scarred war-horse, probably matching the cameras’ owners.  What does sanding the lovely lacquer paint off achieve?

Most of us here can laugh at ourselves (this distinguishes this forum from so many others).  Can you?

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 3

Guest BlackBarn
On 8/24/2021 at 8:52 AM, Steven said:

Of course ! It looks 60 years old now, except for the screen. I love it. 

‘But it’s alright, bring it on’……ok bait taken!

I can see why you love it - as a decorative object - it stands up because for my eyes it’s creative,  sensitively done with the black against the applied discreetness of the gold - all visually appealing.

Its the ‘looks 60 years old now except for the screen’ bit which doesn’t quite fit and implies tapping into the ethos of the hard travelled photographer/s. When a camera is made with the intent that it looks 60 years old then its easy to perceive it’s not simply the visual impression of the camera that is being replicated/faked but the camera and its associated use. A camera which has aged naturally has seen life and I would suggest that life matters as it does to those photographers using their cameras consistently as well as to appreciative collectors.

I think the sand papered camera falls between being artistic yet - based on the comment -  the attraction is also in carrying the aged , leaving it open to falling into the faked category with all that implies. We are not looking at a camera with a Picasso dove painted on it nor one with a Banksy’s girl and red ballon. It looks attractive  because it looks old and that implies a  transfer of ‘meaning’. This is where the intent becomes fuzzy and for me  overrides its artistic qualities. The doing can be interpreted as trying to shortcut and highjack the meaning.

Concluding this friendly banter - Keeping  and using a 2021 BP ‘digital’ camera for 16-60 years for it to acquire its natural patina is a hard thing for anyone to imagine and almost impossible to imagine when considering a collector photographer of the rare, greatest and try the latest. As the look was so appealing, there was little choice but to go for it….Bravo!

ps.

The  sinister side of me suspects that the  marketing boys at Leica knew a 2021 BP digital would unlikely have the time to naturally age…their success is based  on producing the next bit of romance to sell. Likewise, when we got the  M10 we were certain we didn’t need or want the  M11 and when we get the M11 we know we will never need or want the M12 or M13… Unfortunately Leica knows we will.

5 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

do you really expect others to universally applaud your contributions

Why not !! 

About the rest, chill. I don't care about what you say, what you think, or what anyone on here thinks! I'm just having a good time. Only love, no stress. Everything is ok 🥰🥰😘

• Like 5

There is an element of fashion to these cameras.  Some of the appeal is similar to that of a mechanical watch.  The feel and texture of the material is what makes the camera a great object to hold, as is its heft.  I find this even more so with the film-based versions, which can also be held more easily without smudging a screen.  Jeans can be fashionably torn and weathered.  Why not cameras?  There seems to be a fine line between the Lenny Kravitz bling and something more elegant and it has something to do with how natural the unnaturally obtained result looks.  It works not only for jeans, but coffee shops too.  The tension within something that can both last and fades with time is particularly appealing: both diamond and snowflake.