I ordered the m10-r black paint

JimmyCheng

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure if it is a wise decision especially when the m11 is just around the corner. But what more could I wish for. It’s almost a perfect Leica m for me. I’ve always wanted the m10r to be of similar design to the m10p, and black paint is a huge bonus. 

I’m just preying that the m11 won’t come with bp as a standard option or it will be drastically different in terms of design language, so that this camera can retain its value better. (Call me selfish :p)

Edited by JimmyCheng
  • Like 7

It does look nice, in my eyes nicer than red dotted standard one.

For 5% markup over regular M10R it is interesting sales strategy.  Previous M9 / M9P and M240 /M240P were black paint, P versions were sans-red dot and top plate script plus few other cosmetic/functional extras. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mmradman said:

It does look nice, in my eyes nicer than red dotted standard one.

For 5% markup over regular M10R it is interesting sales strategy.  Previous M9 / M9P and M240 /M240P were black paint, P versions were sans-red dot and top plate script plus few other cosmetic/functional extras. 

The BP on those earlier models were not the same lacquer based BP like the MP Film Camera, M246 Monochrom "Your Mark", Andy Summers, etc - they were more "enamel" based BP. The new M10-R Black Paint looks to be the more of the lacquer based.

Tae

Beautiful camera! I didn't think the silver shutter/switch would appeal to me but I admit it is a nice touch. The M10R BP might well end up being a "future classic", if the rumors are to be believed that the m11 will have a Q-styled battery and there's an EVF-M in 2022..

I think BP will be a limited edition thing for Leica bodies moving forward (M246 your mark and then this one give me that impression). Suspect they'll be pushing more black chrome bodies to go with those black chrome lenses they have been releasing over the past few years (which don't go so well with black paint). Maybe future bodies from the m11 will have a different sort of black chrome which is a bit more resistant i.e. whatever they were doing with the reporter, but in black? I like the matte look and it has grown on me (the M10M is sexy with its clean aesthetic) but the bodies mark way too easily for my liking though the brass doesn't show. The odd patchy-ashy look of the m10s isn't pretty compared to black paint cameras showing brass right under the black paint coat.

Anyway I digress. Enjoy your camera!

Edited by chasdfg
  • Like 3

It is a beautiful camera, definitely.  I already have two M2Rs (and an M10M) and should really wait to see what the M11 might offer but this  M10-R(P?) paint version is tough to resist.   

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two at home as we speak ! It looks gorgeous. 

when I put it next to my MP BP, they look almost identical! The most notable differences (aside from film vs digital details such as the lever, etc...) are the extra engraving on the top of the R, and the black hot shoe on the R vs silver on the MP. 

Do you want a side by side photo ? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Steven said:

when I put it next to my MP BP, they look almost identical! The most notable differences (aside from film vs digital details such as the lever, etc...) are the extra engraving on the top of the R, and the black hot shoe on the R vs silver on the MP. 

Yes

I put in a preorder to trade my regular M10-R and a lens for the black paint, despite reading some people calling the black lacquer clammy/sticky in high humidity environments.

I’m leery of the M11 with the heavier battery, which made a big difference to the Q2 weight/feel versus the original Q. Also unknown sensor and design with who knows how many months of time for Leica to shake out the inevitable hardware issues (if any).

So M10-R(P) black lacquer w/top plate script — and — the last baseplate digital M body will be something special I think.

• Like 3

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Vielen Dank, Steven, für den direkten optischen Vergleich von MP und M10R in der BP-Version. Wirklich sehr aufschlussreich.

Ich liebäugle schon länger damit, mir eine Leica M in BP zuzulegen, und da gabs ja bis jetzt in neu nur die MP. Und jetzt die M10 R...

Welche soll ich nehmen? Benützen würde ich wohl beide nicht viel, weil mir für "immer dabei" bzw. als Arbeitstier einfach die CL mit dem sagenhaften Nah-Adapter von 7 Artisans am liebsten ist.

Film-Fotografie ist für mich ein nostalgisches Abenteuer, und dafür gibt es bei mir auch noch eine alte M6, und für den Alltagsgebrauch wären mir die Dateien der M10R auf Dauer bestimmt zu riesig. Es bleibt also der ästhetische Genuss, so eine Schönheit in der Vitrine stehen zu haben. Wie schätzt ihr den Wiederverkaufswert z. B. nach 10 oder auch 20 Jahren ein? 

Meint Ihr, eine Filmkamera wäre nicht werthaltiger? Und sie würde natürlich nur ein halb so großes Loch in mein Budget reißen. Auf der anderen Seite ist die M10R auf 2000  limitert...

Ganz persönlich gefragt, Steven, wenn Du nur eine dieser Schönheiten behalten könntest / wolltest - welche wärs?

4 hours ago, FDS said:

It is a beautiful camera, definitely.  I already have two M2Rs (and an M10M) and should really wait to see what the M11 might offer but this  M10-R(P?) paint version is tough to resist.   

Haha, that should read  two M10Rs (not M2Rs!).  

7 hours ago, Steven said:

Yes, please! Wow can’t believe you’ve already got your hands on it, so lucky!

6 hours ago, hdmesa said:

I put in a preorder to trade my regular M10-R and a lens for the black paint, despite reading some people calling the black lacquer clammy/sticky in high humidity environments.

I’m leery of the M11 with the heavier battery, which made a big difference to the Q2 weight/feel versus the original Q. Also unknown sensor and design with who knows how many months of time for Leica to shake out the inevitable hardware issues (if any).

So M10-R(P) black lacquer w/top plate script — and — the last baseplate digital M body will be something special I think.

Let’s hope this will be the last classic haha!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, chasdfg said:

Beautiful camera! I didn't think the silver shutter/switch would appeal to me but I admit it is a nice touch. The M10R BP might well end up being a "future classic", if the rumors are to be believed that the m11 will have a Q-styled battery and there's an EVF-M in 2022..

I think BP will be a limited edition thing for Leica bodies moving forward (M246 your mark and then this one give me that impression). Suspect they'll be pushing more black chrome bodies to go with those black chrome lenses they have been releasing over the past few years (which don't go so well with black paint). Maybe future bodies from the m11 will have a different sort of black chrome which is a bit more resistant i.e. whatever they were doing with the reporter, but in black? I like the matte look and it has grown on me (the M10M is sexy with its clean aesthetic) but the bodies mark way too easily for my liking though the brass doesn't show. The odd patchy-ashy look of the m10s isn't pretty compared to black paint cameras showing brass right under the black paint coat.

Anyway I digress. Enjoy your camera!

Yeah the silver shutter will match with the mp bp I guess, which is my only concern. Thank you!