I ordered the m10-r black paint

JimmyCheng

3 hours ago, Steven said:

I’m currently having an m7 BP being modified. Drilling into the metal chassis to change the film rewind knob to switch the m6/m7 style for the classic MP knob.

You could then have the best of both worlds by adding a winder. The real Leica one, not the copy (although probabaly better) one. I haven't seen a Leica one for sale in years. It must be quite rare.Came in a box with a little Leica branded screwdriver IIRC.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

My experience of brassing after 16 years of using my MP regularly is that the process of lacquer wear is quite slow and very localised.  

I guess mine is similar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Made in 2002 with Leica using the delicate 'black lacquer' tree sap finish. It's never had a half case or anything and it's been bumped and knocked but not abused. There is some scuffing where the strap rubs which doesn't show in the photo. I can't remember where any of the scratches came from (so no fond memories of use), but I suspect are from stuffing it into my Hadley Pro with lenses and other cameras.

• Like 7

On 6/26/2021 at 10:45 AM, pippy said:

...which also (IMO) look utterly ridiculous. WAAAYYY over the top.

Fender's CS has made some seriously good relic'd guitars - their 'Blackie' and 'Black Strat' editions were superb - but the Road Worn Series are (IMO) a joke.

Philip.

It's more the violin makers who do this - treating their new instruments in a way that they look like 300 years old Stradivaris. Old violins sell much better then new ones. But sanding a digital Leica M to make it look like HCB's very own camera is a ridiculous fake. 

Edited by zupfgeiger
  • Like 5

Guest BlackBarn
On 7/27/2021 at 5:26 AM, Steven said:

Any suggestions before I continue ?

You may be interested in seeing Leica’s version of ‘getting out the sandpaper’ 

https://en.leica-camera.com/Company/Press-Centre/Press-Releases/2015/Press-Release-Special-limited-edition-LEICA-M-P-‘CORRESPONDENT’-SET-CREATED-BY-LENNY-KRAVITZ-FOR-KRAVITZ-DESIGN

There’s one currently for sale on eBay with a few more photos. 

5 hours ago, 250swb said:

I guess mine is similar

Made in 2002 with Leica using the delicate 'black lacquer' tree sap finish. It's never had a half case or anything and it's been bumped and knocked but not abused. There is some scuffing where the strap rubs which doesn't show in the photo. I can't remember where any of the scratches came from (so no fond memories of use), but I suspect are from stuffing it into my Hadley Pro with lenses and other cameras.

Wot - no brassing on top edge of base-plate!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zupfgeiger said:

It's more the violin makers who do this - treating their new instruments in a way that they look like 300 years old Stradivaris. Old violins sell much better then new ones. But sanding a digital Leica M to make it look like HCB's very own camera is a ridiculous fake. 

But it can be the same for Fender Custom Shop Relic guitars, where Fender use better wood than their mainstream production guitars, far more attention to detail, each really is hand made, and some say the authentic paint finish also adds to the sound if a period sound is what you want. But the Custom Shop guitars can also play better than an off the shelf guitar whatever the specification is. In a string quartet playing baroque music nowadays the performance also means the vibe, and period instruments are often unavailable or too valuable for gigging. Now if relicing a camera or buying a Kravitz edition made it make photos like HCB then there would be every reason to do it.

Edited by 250swb

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

I think Lenny Kravitz's screw is bigger than HCB's.

I couldn’t possibly comment about that. But it does make me wonder if we aren’t all very lucky that Jimi Hendrix one day reached for a Strat rather than a Leica. Would he have used it upside down? 🤔

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ianman said:

I couldn’t possibly comment about that. But it does make me wonder if we aren’t all very lucky that Jimi Hendrix one day reached for a Strat rather than a Leica. Would he have used it upside down? 🤔

No but he might have shot it with his teeth...

19 minutes ago, ianman said:

Wood differs in quality even with the same species of tree. Trees are living things and are as different to each other as any other living thing. We look all the same to them.

And different types of wood are specified for different guitar types and brands, and quality guitars use different wood types for different parts of the same guitar…for sound, for durability, etc.  Some wood species are extinct, making replica sounds difficult or impossible. 

Jeff 

I was not going to order the M10-r as I am really happy with my m10-p. When I saw the m10–r black paint I fell in love again.

I previously owned a M6 black paint which I kinda regret trading. My M10-r black paint is arriving tomorrow and I am so happy!

• Like 1