Why I bought a Leica M246 Monochrom

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m currently in a digital limbo, considering either adding an M246 to my M240 for my love/almost full dedication to b&w OR selling the 240 for an M10 for both occasional color and b&w. It’s been nice to read other’s takes here. But I still haven’t decided :).

I love the thought of a dedicated mono camera, yet I’m craving the quieter shutter of the M10 plus the high iso for concert shooting (which is where the 246 would thrive too for me). 

This is all next to my film shooting as well (almost all b&w).

Edited by bdolzani
  • Like 1

@bdolzani

I'm long time user of M10 ( strange thing this one came first at launch 2017, then followed by ... ) M240/M246/etc.

In your place, I'd take M246 over M10 for the  "famous * B&W mindset" that I learn to have and use happily.

😉* famous for me B&W not so early adopter

• Like 3

5 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

@bdolzani

I'm long time user of M10 ( strange thing this one came first at launch 2017, then followed by ... ) M240/M246/etc.

In your place, I'd take M246 over M10 for the  "famous * B&W mindset" that I learn to have and use happily.

😉* famous for me B&W not so early adopter

Interesting that you started with M10 and worked backwards, and also recommend the older system. I appreciate your thoughts! 

On 1/23/2022 at 9:20 AM, bdolzani said:

Interesting that you started with M10 and worked backwards, and also recommend the older system. I appreciate your thoughts! 

I did something similar. Jumped into Leica in 2020 with the Q2, followed shortly thereafter by an M10. A year later I settled on what I consider to be my holy grail kit: SL2-S, M-D 262 and M246. Couldn’t be happier. Both M’s will be in tow on this weekend’s long hike, as they are every weekend. 

• Like 3

I must say that M10 is not worse or better than previous models of M240 family.

In use the files (24Mp) are mostly the same (for me and my modest need).

But the battery life is a concern for me, M-D is the best in this respect, I think for this (more than screenless thing) very long battery life "weeks long" that M-D became my ...prefered digital M when I don't need LV. Or the good grip with no rear screen?

I prefer carying another "light" lens in my pocket than another set of batteries ( needed for M10 ).

And M246 can do b&w with nice battery life; and more can show the effects of colored filters, if need be.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 3

On 1/23/2022 at 11:20 AM, bdolzani said:

Actually, the M Type 246 Monochrom competes well, with the original M10, in low light, using high ISO, so is not a “backwards” or retrograde step. I, too, started with an M10, then added a pre-owned Type 246. This makes for a wonderful “team” of what I see as equals.

Initially, I thought that the M10’s viewfinder would be the better choice, for me, as I wear eyeglasses while shooting, and that was not incorrect, but the M Type 240-series viewfinder is not as much of a problem as I had thought it would be. The slightly differing thickness and ergonomics are not a problem, either, and actually serve as a tactile reminder of which camera I am holding, in my hands. Sometimes, I shoot with a Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35mm ZM lens, on each camera, so, the slight difference in the camera bodies is useful. 🙂

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/22/2022 at 9:18 PM, bdolzani said:

I’m currently in a digital limbo, considering either adding an M246 to my M240 for my love/almost full dedication to b&w OR selling the 240 for an M10 for both occasional color and b&w. It’s been nice to read other’s takes here. But I still haven’t decided :).

I love the thought of a dedicated mono camera, yet I’m craving the quieter shutter of the M10 plus the high iso for concert shooting (which is where the 246 would thrive too for me). 

This is all next to my film shooting as well (almost all b&w).

I would think that truly, notably quieter shutter would require a leap to the M10-P, or, an M10 that has been to a Leica service facility, for the upgrades that make it much like the M10-P.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion after using these nice digital Leica Ms for many years:

- M10 is one step forward or many steps backward comparing to M240/M246/M262/M-D

- I see these as whole family when I look at their files, and most of time I don't even remember which is which ( exif can help but not important).

- some may see the differences in files, nice to know and nice for them

👇

- in use, they are of course very different : two units allow video, two/three have very good battery life, two can be quieter, three have LV/EVF, even one is monochrome only 😉, etc.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
Am 30.6.2021 um 13:21 schrieb pippy:

On the subject of rendering...

Yesterday (as it happens) I was printing out a dozen or so A3 monochrome 'fine art' photographs. Each of the images had been snapped on either my M Monochrom or my M-D Typ-262 (which shares the sensor with the regular Typ 246) and these latter ones had been converted to B'n'W when processing-out the files in Photoshop. Once the images were laid out do you think it was possible to tell which pic had been snapped on which body? Not a chance. When shooting I was swapping between a 1959-ish 21mm f4 Super-Angulon and a 28mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH on both bodies and whilst I could tell which lens was used for any particular image I had to check the original DNG files to confirm on which camera the photograph had been captured.

I am, of course, fully aware that there are 'distinct differences' between the rendering of the CCD and CMOS sensors and the lack of a Bayer Array on the Monochrom bodies makes yet another difference (etc...etc...) and am also fully aware that these differences can be noticed when the files are viewed at 100% on a monitor but, seriously, once the images were printed-out (I favour Canson Infinity Baryta) it was absolutely impossible to see any tell-tale differences whatsoever even when inspected at very close-range.

By the time the prints were framed behind glass and hung on a wall?.......

Philip.

I agree.

Did the same thing myself, no way you can technically distinguish.

It s just a different mindset while shooting, because you will start with a B&W file from the beginning. for myself, I use a monochrome because of that reason

and a better low light capacity. The mindset can make the difference on the photographers output.

• Like 4

Bought a used MM 246 earlier this year for several reasons: Technically, I don't need high ISO performance in my style of shooting - ISO 3600 as max is fine with me (and the MM 246 can deliver even more!). Higher resolution of sensor and DR is not a mistake to have, but I simply find M 240-based cameras currently have the best price/performance ratio for me. I already own and continue to use a M-E 240 camera which uses the same battery and the same VF-2 external EVF. The bit bigger camera body of M 240 based cameras is not a deal breaker for me at all either. Another benefit at least for me: both of my cameras can take videos if needed. Later M10 and M11 models lost this capability. I don't use video often, but IMO it is a nice-to-have just in case. 

Another reason for me to get the MM 246 was to become a bit more independent from continuously rising film prices in my B&W photography (often done with my film M based cameras). Of course digital is never the same as the medium film, but for travel for example it is indeed easier to use the MM 246  instead of carrying rolls of film. And so far I haven't taken or missed out on a shot which I could have only taken with B&W film. I will continue to shoot film, but less often at this point and only in specific situations. 

I have used the MM 246 for a while now, and I really enjoy the photos from it. I have no intention to upgrade this camera to a newer monochrome based M10 or M11 model. The MM 246 does everything what I need it for in my photography. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 5

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Martin B:

Another reason for me to get the MM 246 was to become a bit more independent from continuously rising film prices in my B&W photography (often done with my film M based cameras). Of course digital is never the same as the medium film, but for travel for example it is indeed easier to use the MM 246  instead of carrying rolls of film. And so far I haven't taken or missed out on a shot which I could have only taken with B&W film. I will continue to shoot film, but less often at this point and only in specific situations. 

On the other hand, I shoot way less frames on film (especially when traveling). I think more, be more selective on the spot. This is also a mindset, and this is one reason I mostly grap my M6 with HP5 or TX400 instead of my M246. I just hit the shutter more often with the M246 (I don't say its bad, just say its a different mindset and I enjoy the M6 more)

Thats why I have more keepers relative to the amount of pictures I make with the M6...

Ist it beautiful, we have choices so both are excellent in their own ways.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 1:12 PM, shinobi2012 said:

On the other hand, I shoot way less frames on film (especially when traveling). I think more, be more selective on the spot. This is also a mindset, and this is one reason I mostly grap my M6 with HP5 or TX400 instead of my M246. I just hit the shutter more often with the M246 (I don't say its bad, just say its a different mindset and I enjoy the M6 more)

Thats why I have more keepers relative to the amount of pictures I make with the M6...

Ist it beautiful, we have choices so both are excellent in their own ways.

Agreed. I also shoot more frames of the same subject with my MM 246 than I do with e. g. my M6. Shooting with film is a more thoughtful process to get as much as possible right in one shot.