SL2-S with the Zeiss 35mm f1.4 ZM

BSG1977

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

Has anyone used the SL2-S with the Zeiss 35mm f1.4 ZM. 

I had this lens a couple of years ago on a M10, but sold the kit due to being furloughed. I've recently got a SL2-S and a novoflex adapter. 

I thought the Zeiss 35mm f1.4 was very good on the M, but just want to see a few samples of what it's like wide open and stopped down a couple of stops on the SL2-S.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. 

I am using a Contax Yashica Zeiss 35 F1.4 Distagon on my S1-R.  It is excellent and for the time being my most used lens.  I like the CY Zeiss vintage ;lenses because the glass is superb and, for manual focusing,, they handle exceptionally well.The aperture setting have full stop adjustments, making the wide open to stop down movements easier and faster. I think the ZM lenses have half stop clicks.  Focus ring movements are smooth with just the right amount of residence, meaning there is less chance of accidental focus errors.

If I am using manual focus I prefer these lenses to the Leica SL zooms or Summicrons, as I don't like the manual focus by wire method they use.

Thanks anyway. I like like the rendering of this Zeiss 35mm f1.4 ZM. The sun stars it produces are lovely, due to it's 10 straight blades. It's designed for the slightly curved sensor on the M bodies.

The sensor filter on the SL range is slightly thinner than most other mirrorless bodies, so in theory it should be a little sharper wide open in the corners, but still not as good as on the M series. 

I guess I'll have a hire one before buying!

Edited by BSG1977
  • Like 1

The lens is a Distagon design, so it should perform better on a wider range of sensors. I used one on a Nikon Z6, and it was brilliant, with the only shortcoming being the vignetting wide open. 

Leica Ms do not have curved sensors. They have micro lenses specifically designed to make the rangefinder lenses look good.