Best Film Presets for Capture One

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, 

I am using the Q for digital photography. Sometimes I also shoot analog. I was wondering what you would recommend in terms of film presets. 

I found those options: 

Curious to hear what you are using and if you can recommend one of the listed options or if you use a different one? Of course it is tricky to emulate the film look completely. I think it might be a good starting point with a preset to set a first direction for the edit.

Thanks

For B&W I’ve always cycled the file through SFX Pro and occasionally applied the film presets in there. one of the things I like is that you can dial down the effect  

I recently bought the Classic Presets to try out, not least to try and keep all my processing in C1. Not had much chance to experiment exhaustively though and not printed any out. Look ok on the screen though. 

I should stress though that I am not trying to emulate specific films accurately. I’m just applying a look that I think suits a particular shot. 

Thank you. I am also trying to go into this direction. Ultimately creating an own preset might be the way to go. Will loook into SFX pro. I have tested Classic Presets, which give great results and is an attractive offering. Also have the RNI Films presets. They do not support Leica natively yet but it works with the Nikon / Sony styles. The more you get into the color topic the more choices you have. 

Guest Nowhereman
On 6/22/2021 at 8:59 AM, Rokkor said:

I found those options: 

Curious to hear what you are using and if you can recommend one of the listed options or if you use a different one?...

Some people like RNI, but I've never found them useful because they essentially compress the highlights and I regret buying the package because, although I've often tried them, I've never ended up using them for a final edit. Actually, I've found the VSCO Portra 800 simulations a more useful starting point for color. The Mastin Labs don't have anything based on Leica camera profiles, and the colors are way off. For B&W, I sometimes use the Nik Collection.

Most recently, I've bought the new Cobalt-Image profiles (for Lightroom — Capture One versions are available) and find them very accurate, more so that the Adobe and embedded M10 profiles. I haven't yet tried the film and camera emulations, which look promising: you can read a long thread with lots of examples and comparisons on the Fred Miranda forum, where the developer has been answering questions. 

Edited by Nowhereman

• 4 weeks later...
Am 25.6.2021 um 14:56 schrieb Nowhereman:

Some people like RNI, but I've never found them useful because they essentially compress the highlights and I regret buying the package because, although I've often tried them, I've never ended up using them for a final edit. Actually, I've found the VSCO Portra 800 simulations a more useful starting point for color. The Mastin Labs don't have anything based on Leica camera profiles, and the colors are way off. For B&W, I sometimes use the Nik Collection.

Most recently, I've bought the new Cobalt-Image profiles (for Lightroom — Capture One versions are available) and find them very accurate, more so that the Adobe and embedded M10 profiles. I haven't yet tried the film and camera emulations, which look promising: you can read a long thread with lots of examples and comparisons on the Fred Miranda forum, where the developer has been answering questions. 

Thanks for sharing those. I have applied some RNI filters recently with decent results. The Classic Presets are also nice.