Leica 24-70mm f/2.8

ralitza

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I've been following the forum for a while, but this is my first post here. I have a question about the anodized metal used to build the new Leica 24-70. Upon close inspection of the lens, I found it may contain dust or what it looks like dust to me. I am not sure if it is the metal or some particles managed to get in. I don't live near a Leica store and they want me to send the lens for inspection, so I decided to ask here before I return it. 

I am aware that lenses have dust, even brand new ones, but this seems a bit too much, if it is dust. See attached photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfxqajgq4dbdklp/IMG_6289.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmofm9eouvut67f/IMG_6293.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advance,

Ralitza

Edited by ralitza

Have you used the lens yet?
The lens is protected from dust. That doesn't mean it's 100% tight.
Leak tightness is always defined by a leak rate. By moving the lens out and in, air is always exchanged. There will never be a zoom lens completely free of dust. This is due to the design.

The way the grains are distributed suggests dust.
Metal is typically not widely distributed. It is more likely to be clustered and has a different surface structure

Edited by JimKnopf

10 hours ago, JimKnopf said:

Have you used the lens yet?
The lens is protected from dust. That doesn't mean it's 100% tight.
Leak tightness is always defined by a leak rate. By moving the lens out and in, air is always exchanged. There will never be a zoom lens completely free of dust. This is due to the design.

The way the grains are distributed suggests dust.
Metal is typically not widely distributed. It is more likely to be clustered and has a different surface structure

Thanks. You confirm my suspicion of it being dust. I don't expect a completely dust-free lens, especially a zoom, but this seems to be too much for a brand new one. B&H tech told me it is indeed very unusual and I should send it back. Just thought I'd share my experience with others on the market for the same lens.

• 2 months later...

Hi ralitza,

i had the very same problem with my new 24-70mm after 3 days and using it for only 30 shots. Showed it to the guys here at the Leica Store in Berlin and the immediatley gave me a new one. Guess what, i now have the same problem with the new lens.… I did a bit of research and found out that a certain Sigma 24-70 has a very simliar problem with internal dust (check youtube)… 

Not sure what to do now, i love the lens and don't want to return it…

Best Guido

If possible, grade up to the 24-90. It‘s an unique Leica lens with everything that makes Leica special: dimensionality, sharpness, focus fall-off and the missing compromise on keeping the same f-stop on all focal lengths. What‘s more, the 90mm long end is particularly useful. 

I had worked with the traditional 24-70 competition from Canon am Nikon. The 24-90 is in another league. Seriously.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, steenkamp said:

Hi ralitza,

i had the very same problem with my new 24-70mm after 3 days and using it for only 30 shots. Showed it to the guys here at the Leica Store in Berlin and the immediatley gave me a new one. Guess what, i now have the same problem with the new lens.… I did a bit of research and found out that a certain Sigma 24-70 has a very simliar problem with internal dust (check youtube)… 

Not sure what to do now, i love the lens and don't want to return it…

Best Guido

Hey Guido,

Thanks for sharing your experience. This seems to be a common problem and I hope Leica addresses it soon. I returned the first copy, but the replacement had the same issue. The third one was no different. I decided to keep it despite the dust. It doesn't affect the image quality and it is mostly on the barrel. The glass itself has a few specks that don't bother me. I may sell it some time later, but for now I am testing the waters with my first zoom (age is a factor ha!).

Ralitza