M6 Shutter Problem - Expensive Quote!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, 

My Sunday just went downhill as I received a quote from Leica Germany to repair my Leica M6.
I posted somewhere in the forum, at the end of April the camera started showing problems with the shutter at high speed (only 500th and 1000th) where the pictures would come half black (see attachment)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After waiting 5-6weeks, I finally got a quote for repair: £976!! I almost fainted.

I got the breakdown and I feel like they listed a huge amount of repairs where the only problem I had was this with the shutter. The last item it's literally "Repair leather / leatherette" and I'm like what?!

I dont know, I'm actually shocked how expensive is to maintain those equipments, is it worth for me just getting the camera back and probably hear someone else? I'm gutted, I already been more than 1 month without the camera and now I don't even know if I can repair this bad boy...argh!!

It is well known Leica will not 'just' repair a problem, their quote will be for a full overhaul of the camera. Any repair will require leatherette to be striped.

Unfortunately the best alternative, Will van Manen https://www.kamera-service.info/index.php/en/ is no longer accepting work from UK because of Brexit rules. If you know someone in Europe who could act as a post box maybe way to go. Will and Cathy are highly regarded.

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, pedaes said:

It is well known Leica will not 'just' repair a problem, their quote will be for a full overhaul of the camera. Any repair will require leatherette to be striped.

Unfortunately the best alternative, Will van Manen https://www.kamera-service.info/index.php/en/ is no longer accepting work from UK because of Brexit rules. If you know someone in Europe who could act as a post box maybe way to go. Will and Kathy are highly regarded.

Thanks. I have family in Italy so I can easily bypass the brexit stuff. I guess I still have to send them the camera for a quote or they can give a rough estimate via mail?

They quoted me for a service on my M2, and then when they had the camera came back with the final quote indicating the shutter curtains were in need of replacement.

It was not cheap and I expect yours will cost more if the shutter needs a repair. So you might not save very much vs Leica. At the end of it, I have an M2 in absolutely beautiful condition.

Ever thought of trying a UK repairer instead? They are generally slow but less costly.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Charles Morgan said:

They quoted me for a service on my M2, and then when they had the camera came back with the final quote indicating the shutter curtains were in need of replacement.

It was not cheap and I expect yours will cost more if the shutter needs a repair. So you might not save very much vs Leica. At the end of it, I have an M2 in absolutely beautiful condition.

Ever thought of trying a UK repairer instead? They are generally slow but less costly.

Yeah, ideally I don't want to go all the way around to spend a figure which is close to Leica. I should have tried Aperture before contacting Leica...I don't know, usually I always had a great experience for works on my digital Ms, this was my first time having a problem with a film camera...

3 hours ago, pedaes said:

Are you saying M6 is different from vulcanite covered film M bodies? 

Those have camera shell removable without of vulcanite stripping.

15 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Are you saying M6 is different from vulcanite covered film M bodies? 

Those have camera shell removable without of vulcanite stripping.

Do you see any screw heads on front of M6?

3 hours ago, plaidshirts said:

Pardon my ignorance but is sending it to Don Goldberg, Sherri Krauter or Youxin Ye in the US an option? If it’s a simple shutter adjustment, a CLA from them would be $2-400.

as much as that price it's appealing I think with shipping, import charges etc it will probably get expensive as well. I will call them just to clarify what's all those repairs they have listed. I literally just had the problem with the shutter and here's their breakdown:

Disassembly
Repair light seals
Repair shutter mechanism
Repair shutter brake
Repair shutter curtain 1
Repair shutter curtain 2
Repair film transport
Repair receiver
Clean range finder / view finder
Repair shutter mechanism
Adg. VF mask / frame line mirror refl.
Repair rewind mechanism
Autocollimation
Adjust range finder
Repair friction
Repair control elements
Adjust electr. / mech. assembliesCleaning
Final inspection
Repair frameline / mask selector

I count 12 repairs!!😓

7 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

as much as that price it's appealing I think with shipping, import charges etc it will probably get expensive as well. I will call them just to clarify what's all those repairs they have listed. I literally just had the problem with the shutter and here's their breakdown:

Disassembly
Repair light seals
Repair shutter mechanism
Repair shutter brake
Repair shutter curtain 1
Repair shutter curtain 2
Repair film transport
Repair receiver
Clean range finder / view finder
Repair shutter mechanism
Adg. VF mask / frame line mirror refl.
Repair rewind mechanism
Autocollimation
Adjust range finder
Repair friction
Repair control elements
Adjust electr. / mech. assembliesCleaning
Final inspection
Repair frameline / mask selector

I count 12 repairs!!😓

Two thoughts. I think Wetzlar work off menus ( they once included a film wind lever service in a quote for a digital M of mine) and when they say 'repair' they mostly mean 'check and adjust if necessary'.

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1

I can't recommend Aperture but my local camera repair person camaratiks in Edinburgh fixed a M4p where the shutter was totally seized for £150 a few year ago, the last repair they did for me was on a Canon New F1 with a faulty shutter which I would imagine is a much bigger job than working on an M6 for £130 with 6 months warranty, they normally only need a couple of weeks not months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Frase said:

I can't recommend Aperture but my local camera repair person camaratiks in Edinburgh fixed a M4p where the shutter was totally seized for £150 a few year ago, the last repair they did for me was on a Canon New F1 with a faulty shutter which I would imagine is a much bigger job than working on an M6 for £130 with 6 months warranty, they normally only need a couple of weeks not months.

10 hours ago, erniethemilk said:

Try Alexander at Camera Obscura Repairs. He’s pretty good with M bodies. I’ve recently had a lens refurbished by him and have been very happy with the results. 

https://cameraobscurarepairs.co.uk

Thanks both! Those are excellent options and if I don't use them now I will definitely do in the future. I'm just waiting for a response from Leica to clarify all the repairs they listed once we assess the real cost of the service I will valuate my actions - as for now, their quote it's off the roof.

I'm banging my head on the wall I should have sourced a quote from independent repairs before contacting Leica...

• Like 1

well, according to Leica they cannot split the labor so everything listed in the quote must be carried away in order to bring the camera back to all its functionality (i swear I had no problem beside that fast shutter speed curtain).
I'm gutted. I would just hate to get the camera back, bring it somewhere else and have a similar quote tho.. advices are welcome!  

That Leica quote is hysterical. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that they would complete a successful repair on a film Leica.  Times have changed.  Third party repairers are now a better option.  It’s not 2005 any longer, when Leica was still a film camera Mecca.

I had a full rebuild (disassemble, refurbish and then reassemble) new shutter curtains, replacement frameline mask on my M4 for the equivalent of around €600 at Kanto Camera in Japan. They are probably at the more expensive end for this kind of service, too, but their work is perfection.  

You can do better, IMHO. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

Thanks both! Those are excellent options and if I don't use them now I will definitely do in the future. I'm just waiting for a response from Leica to clarify all the repairs they listed once we assess the real cost of the service I will valuate my actions - as for now, their quote it's off the roof.

I'm banging my head on the wall I should have sourced a quote from independent repairs before contacting Leica...

Good luck, really hope you get it sorted for a sensible price!  I’d be gutted if I lost my M6 to a ridiculous cost repair.