M6 Shutter Problem - Expensive Quote!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would imagine that 6 weeks would be the minimum time for any repair at Leica. So you'll have to have a little more patience. I would expect 2 months, then I'd make a phone call. 

The up-side? When you do get your camera back, you'll have one of the mechanically nicest M6s on the planet, with a warranty! 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and there it is!! Finally, after so many months my M6 came back! I just went to pick it up at the Leica Store in London - wow when I opened the box it definitely looked like a brand new camera! My leatherette was so hard and rugged I never realised how old it was until now - with this brand new soft leather all around the body. Viewfinder is crystal clear, the re-cock is absolutely smooth!! Even a brand new film winder, yes!  I never realised how knocked out and battered was my M6 until now.

On the bright side, it will come back good as new.

Some observations: 1) As has been pointed out, when Leica does a repair, they re-warranty the whole device (lens or camera). Therefore they will fix anything else that is less than 100% and might fail (or simply be discovered) under the warranty period, to avoid having to fix it after 6 months or a year without compensation. I don't have old M film cameras, but I sent in a couple of older lenses for 6-bit-coding in 2020 - and Leica charged for adjusting the focus tension, replacing the

Posted Images

14 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

one month went by and I didn't hear anything from Leica. I sent the camera to Germany on May 10th, agreed to carry on with the labour one month ago - still no news...wow this is taking a bit now...

This is why a second body is a good idea.  It always takes weeks to get a Leica serviced, regardless of who does it, IME.

• 4 weeks later...

and there it is!! Finally, after so many months my M6 came back! I just went to pick it up at the Leica Store in London - wow when I opened the box it definitely looked like a brand new camera! My leatherette was so hard and rugged I never realised how old it was until now - with this brand new soft leather all around the body.
Viewfinder is crystal clear, the re-cock is absolutely smooth!! Even a brand new film winder, yes! 
I never realised how knocked out and battered was my M6 until now.
A bittersweet Saturday, obviously after the excitement of my camera the bill was hard to swallow. This was my first time the camera had problem since I bought it 10 years ago for £500...so after such a long run I guess I can't complain much. 

In 2013 I sent a M6 TTL Millennium to the factory when they were still in Solms. Mostly I wanted the finder upgrade and had considered sending it to a US based technician but decided to spend the money for a more complete service. It took about six weeks and when it returned, I forgot about the cost. In addition to the finder upgrade, there were new shutter seals, a multicoated finder window, a full CLA and a new cover. The finder was bright and clear, over all it felt like a new camera. Even being half way around the world the repair department would answer my communications quickly and in detail. I used the camera regularly for four years but it was sold to fund some much needed home repairs. I had a great experience with the factory service and it's good to hear your happy with yours.

11 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

and there it is!! Finally, after so many months my M6 came back! I just went to pick it up at the Leica Store in London - wow when I opened the box it definitely looked like a brand new camera! My leatherette was so hard and rugged I never realised how old it was until now - with this brand new soft leather all around the body.
Viewfinder is crystal clear, the re-cock is absolutely smooth!! Even a brand new film winder, yes! 
I never realised how knocked out and battered was my M6 until now.
A bittersweet Saturday, obviously after the excitement of my camera the bill was hard to swallow. This was my first time the camera had problem since I bought it 10 years ago for £500...so after such a long run I guess I can't complain much. 

Fantastic news. Looks beautiful, I guess you can look forward to many more years of M6 use without any nagging doubts of if/when it could potentially fail. 

Enjoy.