M6 Shutter Problem - Expensive Quote!

On 6/20/2021 at 1:49 PM, jonnyboy said:

Yeah, ideally I don't want to go all the way around to spend a figure which is close to Leica. I should have tried Aperture before contacting Leica...I don't know, usually I always had a great experience for works on my digital Ms, this was my first time having a problem with a film camera...

I’ve used Black and White camera s in Bristol for years - meticulous work. Worth asking for a quote? 

On 6/22/2021 at 7:40 AM, jonnyboy said:

I came to the conclusion I will take the hit this time and go ahead with Leica, simply because the camera is already there and also it was my mistake not to liaise with local repairer in London and UK. We learn from our mistakes, I noted down all these suggestions here in the thread and I most definitely reach out to the next time.
I thought my M6 was in pretty good conditions but if they feel like all these repairs should be carried away then...I'd rather have it back and not worry about it anymore instead of finding light leaks or any other problems which may occurs.

Films becoming so expensive...repairs even more... ah, is becoming really a tough business to shoot film! 😕

Look forward to your thoughts (and photos) when you get it back. 

Do you have an ETA for return. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, edstock said:

Seems like Leica follows the same rule of repair, that Rolex does with a watch you send in. Along with the original fix, they will look at everything including cosmetics.

Yes I think this is a big part of the cost difference. As I mentioned above a simple repair on M2 was carried out for a fraction of the cost but they only repaired what needed fixing (and cleaned the dust out of the viewfinder).

I guess it's a bit like if you take your car to the garage for an oil change and return to find that they have in fact rebuilt the engine, retrimmed the leather seats and given it a respray.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, earleygallery said:

I guess it's a bit like if you take your car to the garage for an oil change and return to find that they have in fact rebuilt the engine, retrimmed the leather seats and given it a respray.

I can't imagine any garage doing that - though charging for such a service is not beyond the realms of possibility :)

• Like 1

Some observations:

1) As has been pointed out, when Leica does a repair, they re-warranty the whole device (lens or camera). Therefore they will fix anything else that is less than 100% and might fail (or simply be discovered) under the warranty period, to avoid having to fix it after 6 months or a year without compensation.

I don't have old M film cameras, but I sent in a couple of older lenses for 6-bit-coding in 2020 - and Leica charged for adjusting the focus tension, replacing the notorious "Leitz Canada breakable plastic connectors" that cause rotary misalignment of the aperture ring/index dot/rectangular lens hoods, relubrication, and general cleaning "while they were in there." That roughly doubled the cost from the nominal $300.

2) Is Leica "milking" repairs? Maybe. They lost some production in the Covid Year, that they no doubt want to make up. But in addition to that, any manufacturer has a vested interest in selling new products over simply maintaining old products. I expect there is a certain desire to nudge customers: "Why get your 1980 28mm Elmarit lens 6-bit coded - when you could just buy a nice brand-new 28mm Elmarit ASPH?" At the very least, they would probably like to earn approximately comparable income per hour from either choice.

3) And Leica is giving you back a very valuable commodity. I don't know about the UK, but Leica M6 values here in the States have doubled in the past 5 years or so. From $1200-1500 to $2500-3000. At some point, getting an older camera fixed is going to transition from "camera repair" to "restoration of a valuable antique."

(During our 1967-68 academic year to the UK, my parents picked up a couple of Victorian (or earlier) tilt-top tables. For £10 each. Today I notice they are worth about £600 each - and getting the broken brass spring-latch on one of them repaired is likely to have escalated accordingly.)

4) Finally, Leica is a German company that does their accounting and costs (and figures their profits) in €€€€. And then converts that price to ££££ or $$$$ at whatever the current exchange rate is.

Additionally, at this point, they have to deal with more - complex - cross-Channel interactions (for reasons we don't discuss - politics). Even if that ultimately may not cost more per se, it is still a headache that someone at Leica has to spend time (and salary) on.

• Like 4

As I already tried to point out: the quote is basically just about more or less a full day of work considering German wages, some (potentially expensive) spare parts plus shipping & handling.

Edited by Helge

I sent in my well used 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH for repair due to a loose focus ring some months ago. But at the same time they also adjusted and cleaned all parts and have probably also carried out a complete re-paint of the lens. When I got it back, I actually had to check the serial number twice to make sure it was the same lens, because it looked like brand new.

The repair was expensive, but I think it was worth it. Now I have a lens that I'll probably keep for the rest of my life.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, evikne said:

I sent in my well used 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH for repair due to a loose focus ring some months ago. But at the same time they also adjusted and cleaned all parts and have probably also carried out a complete re-paint of the lens. When I got it back, I actually had to check the serial number twice to make sure it was the same lens, because it looked like brand new.

The repair was expensive, but I think it was worth it. Now I have a lens that I'll probably keep for the rest of my life.

How long did it take?

Don't you have an insurance? I have all my camera gear insured and this also covers repairs of them. At least in my country there are special camera insurances available. And finally yes, Leica services are expensive, but if you insurance company is paying, why settle for something less:)?

4 minutes ago, mmx_2 said:

At least in my country

I think there is in most countries. However, those Policies are expensive and it depends how many bodies/lenses you have. In my case the theft/total loss and accidental damage  cover is viable, but it pays me financial to act as my own insurer for routine repairs and servicing.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 8:52 AM, erniethemilk said:

Look forward to your thoughts (and photos) when you get it back. 

Do you have an ETA for return. 

I dont know when it will be ready but from my previous experience with them usually in 7-10 from the quote approval they get it done. I will keep you guys posted once is back ..

Loads of interesting contacts for analog repairs in this thread now this will surely come back handy...

• Like 1

Am 20.6.2021 um 14:19 schrieb jonnyboy:

Hello everyone, 

My Sunday just went downhill as I received a quote from Leica Germany to repair my Leica M6.
I posted somewhere in the forum, at the end of April the camera started showing problems with the shutter at high speed (only 500th and 1000th) where the pictures would come half black (see attachment)

After waiting 5-6weeks, I finally got a quote for repair: £976!! I almost fainted.

I got the breakdown and I feel like they listed a huge amount of repairs where the only problem I had was this with the shutter. The last item it's literally "Repair leather / leatherette" and I'm like what?!

I dont know, I'm actually shocked how expensive is to maintain those equipments, is it worth for me just getting the camera back and probably hear someone else? I'm gutted, I already been more than 1 month without the camera and now I don't even know if I can repair this bad boy...argh!!

I have the similar problem with my beloved M4 (50 years anniversary edition) and I experienced this a fairly cold winter day up here in northern Scandinavia for the 1/1000 shutter setting. However, I didn´t experience quite as much dark a section on the developed and scanned b/w image, and on the left side on the contrary compared to ´jonnyboy´above. 

Please see two image examples below, film scanned and unedited.

I have recently found out, that there is a third party service workshop in Hamburg, as follows:

Wiese Fototechnik
Fachwerkstatt- Präzisionstechnik
Leica - Rollei - Sinar
Danziger Str. 47-49
20099 Hamburg

Does anyone here have had their Leica M serviced (CLA) and or repaired there? Are good recommendations for them the case? 

I will possibly be in Hamburg within short, and then I could bring the M4 body to have them take a look on it and quote me a specified price. After a service/repair, will I get a detailed "repair certificate" and/or a guarantee on the work done there? 

I also do have a name and address for a repair shop here in Sweden, Stockholm area, and I might also have them to examine my M4 and make a quote. 

I would appreciate to receive your replies and recommendations!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...