M6 Shutter Problem - Expensive Quote!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think it's my loss on this occasion, it's probably better for me to just Leica crack on with the repair and soak it up - although I'm totally in shock. In the end, I just thought the camera has served me absolutely amazing for the last 6-7 years...never had a problem, never CLA so I guess it was going to need a bit of a refresh at some point...aaaahhh, what a painful situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone suggest Alan Starkie at Cameraworks in the UK.  I'd certainly give them a call and see what they quite you for the repair. 

https://www.cameraworks-uk.com

Cameraworks are great and their work is second to none. However they are snowed under with work and no longer answer queries, I have been trying to get a response from them for over a year now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonnyboy said:

I think it's my loss on this occasion, it's probably better for me to just Leica crack on with the repair and soak it up - although I'm totally in shock. In the end, I just thought the camera has served me absolutely amazing for the last 6-7 years...never had a problem, never CLA so I guess it was going to need a bit of a refresh at some point...aaaahhh, what a painful situation.

You will end up with what is, in effect, a brand new camera. In my experience Leica have never done "just a repair" but will completely overhaul the camera. It seems to be a German thing, A friend sent in his Montblanc fountain pen with a cracked cap and received back a completely new pen except for the nib and clip (which carries the serial number). 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

as much as that price it's appealing I think with shipping, import charges etc it will probably get expensive as well. I will call them just to clarify what's all those repairs they have listed. I literally just had the problem with the shutter and here's their breakdown:

Disassembly
Repair light seals
Repair shutter mechanism
Repair shutter brake
Repair shutter curtain 1
Repair shutter curtain 2
Repair film transport
Repair receiver
Clean range finder / view finder
Repair shutter mechanism
Adg. VF mask / frame line mirror refl.
Repair rewind mechanism
Autocollimation
Adjust range finder
Repair friction
Repair control elements
Adjust electr. / mech. assembliesCleaning
Final inspection
Repair frameline / mask selector

I count 12 repairs!!😓

so you're getting a new camera for 976 quid..good deal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Matlock said:

Cameraworks are great and their work is second to none. However they are snowed under with work and no longer answer queries, I have been trying to get a response from them for over a year now.

Oh, then that's not a viable option at the moment. 

33 minutes ago, frame-it said:

so you're getting a new camera for 976 quid..good deal.

That is the only way to look at it imho.

£976/$1357 USD is a costly repair, no doubt.  But it will reset the calendar for your M6.  With the complete overhaul that Leica will give it, it will run like a Swiss watch for 10-12 years.

The only other option that I can see would be to send it across the pond to Sherry Krauter or Don Goldberg, which would involve insurance & shipping costs.  As I understand it, the camera is already at Leica; if you let them repair it, that would save you the cost of shipping it to the U.S.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

I think, Leica service is including all those activities in order to adjust the camera at the end correctly. Some other service might disassemble the camera, repair the shutter only, not looking left or right and re-assemble the camera without any verification of correct alignment.

Yes, that is probably a lot cheaper, may be have of Leica‘s quote.

Please also consider that this quote might be about 150-200€ material (shutter parts, vulcanite etc.) and something around 10-12 hours labor total. Sounds still reasonable.

A tested and mint M6 might be available at dealerships with a good reputation like Foto Görlitz for about 3000€/2600£/3500$ maybe minus taxes plus shipping and insurance.

Edited by Helge

6 hours ago, logan2z said:

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone suggest Alan Starkie at Cameraworks in the UK.  I'd certainly give them a call and see what they quite you for the repair. 

https://www.cameraworks-uk.com

+1 for CameraworksUK.

Once they start on your camera the communication is first rate. 
Back in 2018 my M6 went in, 3 months later they started work. Out of the blue, Alan phoned me to discuss a replacement body covering because the original has to be removed to reveal 2 screws for access. A replacement added £60 to the bill and well worth it.

Unfortunately their ability with a Leica Ms has meant they’re snowed under with M’s, turning up from around the world.

• Like 1

I agree that shipping it now over the pond is not reasonable, how reasonable that ever could be for a European product anyway.

It is already in Germany, so why not just getting it repaired.

And how much another repair shop would charge for the same work is not known, the OP did not ask yet for a second quote. So the assumption of „a fraction“ is just a blind guess and most probably anyway an exaggeration.

Edited by Helge

I came to the conclusion I will take the hit this time and go ahead with Leica, simply because the camera is already there and also it was my mistake not to liaise with local repairer in London and UK. We learn from our mistakes, I noted down all these suggestions here in the thread and I most definitely reach out to the next time.
I thought my M6 was in pretty good conditions but if they feel like all these repairs should be carried away then...I'd rather have it back and not worry about it anymore instead of finding light leaks or any other problems which may occurs.

Films becoming so expensive...repairs even more... ah, is becoming really a tough business to shoot film! 😕

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

I came to the conclusion I will take the hit this time and go ahead with Leica, simply because the camera is already there and also it was my mistake not to liaise with local repairer in London and UK. We learn from our mistakes, I noted down all these suggestions here in the thread and I most definitely reach out to the next time.
I thought my M6 was in pretty good conditions but if they feel like all these repairs should be carried away then...I'd rather have it back and not worry about it anymore instead of finding light leaks or any other problems which may occurs.

Films becoming so expensive...repairs even more... ah, is becoming really a tough business to shoot film! 😕

After I passed my driving test I told my father I would one day own a Porsche, his wise response was anybody can buy a Porsche but can they afford to keep it running! I just wish he warned me about Leica’s in the same way and the increasing cost of Portra before I bought my M7.

I think you are doing the right thing and will be interested to hear your opinion on the service and condition of the camera when it returns.

Footnote: I never could afford a Porsche!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, dgc said:

After I passed my driving test I told my father I would one day own a Porsche, his wise response was anybody can buy a Porsche but can they afford to keep it running! I just wish he warned me about Leica’s in the same way and the increasing cost of Portra before I bought my M7.

I think you are doing the right thing and will be interested to hear your opinion on the service and condition of the camera when it returns.

Footnote: I never could afford a Porsche!

Ah, that's a brilliant comparison, it does resonate with me! Yeah of course I will share the result once the camera come back. I opted for payment on collection - this alone should alleviate my urge to get it back 😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Helge said:

So the assumption of „a fraction“ is just a blind guess and most probably anyway an exaggeration.

No, just going on my own experience when I asked Leica about the cost to repair a shutter fault on my M2, which was repaired locally for a fraction of the cost (about a quarter to be more accurate).

Of course each quote will be different.