Audio issues on SL2S - help!!!

greenormal

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi I had to do a professional video shoot this week and ended up recording using the onboard mic (not ideal but actually sounded okay) plus backup audio with a proper mic recorded into my phone.

Here's a breakdown of my testing so far:

1. SL2S onboard mic works fine for recording internally and also records fine to atomos ninja V via hdmi

2. external mic plugged into camera records fine internally to sd card

3. however several different mics/inputs or even just a bare cable plugged into camera creates loud static noise, clicking and buzzing through HDMI channels to atomos

On 3. I have tried a Rode video mic, an xlr mic through a preamp and also several cables different. Even just a jack plugged in generates this noise. I've only tried TRS jacks (no TRRS).

My workaround would have been to record via the analogue input to the atomos. Problem here when I tried this on the day with the rode mic is I got the noise of the atomos timecode whirring and I've no idea how to silence that. After playing today with gain staging I managed to get this working without an audible timecode sound with a mic + preamp. But it is not as hot a signal as I would like. Which kind of defeats the point of using an external mic & preamp.

Has anyone else succeeded in recording into camera and then out to atomos via the microphone jack?
(That's how I always worked with Sony cameras because I then have the option to record in camera or out to atomos or both)

It could be a faulty socket but its super weird that it works perfectly if I record internally to SD card? And the HDMI signal is digital so it shouldn't be a ground loop type of issue?

Btw the footage in SLOG is gorgeous and if I have to I will record external audio old school style. But I'm hoping the Leica gurus here know that I am doing something simple wrong. Or even hearing someone else succeeded in audio in > HDMI out without noise issues would lead me to get both the camera and the atomos unit checked.

On 6/19/2021 at 3:01 PM, greenormal said:

3. however several different mics/inputs or even just a bare cable plugged into camera creates loud static noise, clicking and buzzing through HDMI channels to atomos

I'd think of a faulty HDMI cable. When I connect the Atomos via HDMI to the SL2-S and record sound via the SL2-S' audio input jack, I get the same sound quality as the internal recordings. 

On 6/19/2021 at 3:01 PM, greenormal said:

Has anyone else succeeded in recording into camera and then out to atomos via the microphone jack?

Should be working on the Leica's side. I hear sound when using a headphone.

Unfortunately it's not the HDMI cable (I tried a different one and got the same issue). It's just whenever anything is plugged into the microphone jack and then audio sent over HDMI. I might get the camera looked at by my Leica dealership but it's also possible that it's the atomos unit where the fault lies. My workaround is that I ordered a good quality audio recorder and I will capture audio externally (like many do) but also use the line out from this to capture a (quiet) reference track on the atomos.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 8:38 PM, greenormal said:

Problem solved. It was the Atomos. I tried a new unit and all audio issues gone. Just noting this here in case anyone researching SL2S it really is an awesome hybrid camera!

This is very odd. 

I have an SLS-2 and a Ninja V.

If I record on internal mic into the camera or the Ninja it's fine. If I record the shotgun mic into the camera (internal recording) it's fine. 

When I use the shotgun mic and record into the Ninja I have high distortion levels - if I lower the gain on the mic - I just get lower audio but the same level of distortion. I've tried this on two different Ninja V units with the same results (and two different HDMI cables). 

If I plug the shotgun mic directly into the Ninja it's fine, but that's besides the point -- I want to have the mic plugged into the camera and send the audio into the Atomos. I haven't worked it out so far...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had the exact same issue two weeks ago Dael. So I just recorded from the external mic straight into the Ninja and then the audio was good. I tried two different mics, one needing phantom power through a preamp with good gain controls, but no joy. I assumed it was something I was missing in SL2S settings to lower the sensitivity on camera, but if you have the same issue maybe it is something Leica need to address? I'm happy recording on the Ninja (rather than the camera input and then through HDMI) so not a huge issue for me in practice.

3 hours ago, greenormal said:

I had the exact same issue two weeks ago Dael. So I just recorded from the external mic straight into the Ninja and then the audio was good. I tried two different mics, one needing phantom power through a preamp with good gain controls, but no joy. I assumed it was something I was missing in SL2S settings to lower the sensitivity on camera, but if you have the same issue maybe it is something Leica need to address? I'm happy recording on the Ninja (rather than the camera input and then through HDMI) so not a huge issue for me in practice.

Hmm. Thanks for this, I'll contact Leica and see what they say. 

I'd like to my mic hooked up to the camera so that I only have one cable to consider when placing my monitor - I shoot mainly handheld and need to limit the number of cables that I have flapping around. In addition, the Leica isn't cheap so needs to function correctly -- particularly as the do advertise the camera working with the Atomos. I'll call Leica Mayfair (who likely won't know) and see if they can send some questions to Germany for me. 

I'll let you know what they say...

I found out this issue that appeared when testing the Beta firmware for SL2 (it was nammed FW2.7.3) this summer, and let the relevant authorities know about this... I havent recorded audio on the Atomos throught the HDMI since v3.0 came out.... in addition to this, outputting sound throught HMDI gives a 5images delay so it's a bit annoying for moving action if you frame with your atomos (or any other monitor.... which is a shame because it's nice to have proper audio meter displayed in a SWIT, SmallHD or Atomos....). I will test it again this week.

Last time I shot with my Rode VideoMic NTG directly plugged wirelessly into the Ninja via a RodeGo . It's great because you are not tied to your boom operator and best of all, the mic is far away from the noisy atomos and closer to your subject.... and as a bonus you get 24bit recording on the atomos... whereas SL2 processes it in 16bits internal. However it is not clear how sound is output through the HDMI, although I suspect its already processed, hence the 5images/sec delay you get when outputting sound via HDMI.

On a side note, the internal stereo mic is great for ambiant soundscapes.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:59 PM, Slender said:

I found out this issue that appeared when testing the Beta firmware for SL2 (it was nammed FW2.7.3) this summer, and let the relevant authorities know about this... I havent recorded audio on the Atomos throught the HDMI since v3.0 came out.... in addition to this, outputting sound throught HMDI gives a 5images delay so it's a bit annoying for moving action if you frame with your atomos (or any other monitor.... which is a shame because it's nice to have proper audio meter displayed in a SWIT, SmallHD or Atomos....). I will test it again this week.

Last time I shot with my Rode VideoMic NTG directly plugged wirelessly into the Ninja via a RodeGo . It's great because you are not tied to your boom operator and best of all, the mic is far away from the noisy atomos and closer to your subject.... and as a bonus you get 24bit recording on the atomos... whereas SL2 processes it in 16bits internal. However it is not clear how sound is output through the HDMI, although I suspect its already processed, hence the 5images/sec delay you get when outputting sound via HDMI.

On a side note, the internal stereo mic is great for ambiant soundscapes.

Thanks a lot Slender.

I'll let you know when I hear back from Leica