Contrast=focus...

Bob Riess

As far as they tell me, it's the cataract which greatly reduces the contrast of your vision. Once the contrast has become too small for you to be able to discern important things, the cure consists of replacing the fogged lens by a new, clear one.

Depending on the quality of the original lens, not being able to focus might become a challenge with an artificial lens. However, no amount of training will be able to overcome that. Varifocal lenses might, if you can accustom yourself to using them. Wisely choosing the fixed focus of the articial lens (before it is installed) might be essential.

The apparent distance of the image in the Leica range finder is set to 2m, I believe.

Philipp, thanks for your thoughtful reply. I had the first eye done two weeks ago, the second two days ago. The difference is stunning. I hadn't loaded the iiif for the past six months, even with the orange filter I could only guess at focus (with a digital at least there's AF or focus assist). I had extended depth of focus lenses put in, left (dominant) straight up, right with -0.5D myopia to make reading the dials, phone, etc a tad easier. I'm about load a roll of FP4+ and I feel like I just met the camera I knew years ago. 

I put the question out after reading a 2011 article describing a study where computerized visual cortex training led to statistically significant improvements in contrast sensitivity (https://www.healio.com/news/ophthalmology/20120331/visual-cortex-training-boosts-acuity-contrast-sensitivity-after-iol-implantation). As good as it is now with my eyes recovering, how great would it be to perhaps improve it some...we don't get younger, after all!

A member on the fujix-forum posted about EDOFs+offside myopia and I asked my doc about it. He called it "mini monovision" and agreed it could deliver what I was after – solid intermediate and distance, good enough near for camera dials, watch, phone, etc. Could require readers for books, we'll see. All good and my experience recommends it...

Bob

Exactly. I had my right (shooting) eye done about a year ago. The surgeon wanted to use a reading strength lens, 50 cm, but I insisted on 2 m. I couldn't be happier, I only need glasses for very fine print or very bad light and for seeing super-sharp in the distance. An optometrist friend warned me off "varifocal" implants. They seem to cause big trouble for a number of patients, glare and  halos.

Excellent, Jaap, I'm glad you had a good experience also. I stayed away from multifocal lenses as their basic design, concentrically etched focal zones, seemed to me to be designed as well for halos. With the EDOFs I perceived sunstars or halos at point sources in the first day or so after surgery, and probably more due to the dilation. Testing what I can see so far, computer, phone, watch, camera dials ok in normal light. Brighter light needed for the smallest lens markings, but haven't had to put readers on yet. I think many ingredient lists will be a challenge, but menus should be ok – important now that restaurants are opening!