Q2 vs Q2M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a Q2M several months ago and liked it so much I got a Q2 to go along with it. After using the Q2 for a while I decided to try shooting some b&w jpegs with it and was really impressed. I set the Q2 menu for DNG & jpeg, then set the jpeg captures to Monochrom. After doing this for a while, I liked the b&w from the Q2 so much that I ended up selling my Q2M. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else? The two files posted below are from the Q2 and are straight out of the camera. The b&w image quality in the image below is very typical. I rarely have to make any kind of adjustments in post.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

i detest editing and thus i tweak the photo styles of every camera i own so i can come in from a walk and have my shots uploaded within just a minute or two. i've found the jpgs out of the panasonics like the gh5 and the s1 are superb and, if i frame correctly, rarely need any touchup. consequently i haven't shot raw in years although i'm current shooting it with the q2 to wring the most out of the 47mp sensor.

sadly, the jpgs out of the cl and q2 cannot compare to the panasonics. i've had to ram the sliders all the way up on all the styles just to get acceptable sooc jpgs and thus i'm shooting jpg+raw for now.

but the real stunner is the l.monochrome style in the s1 and as i cut my teeth on b&w and shoot at  least 50% in that mode it's amazing that i literally cannot improve on the ooc jpgs, even with the silver efex all the leitz users seem to prefer. 

/guy

vor 2 Stunden schrieb fotografr:

I bought a Q2M several months ago and liked it so much I got a Q2 to go along with it. After using the Q2 for a while I decided to try shooting some b&w jpegs with it and was really impressed. I set the Q2 menu for DNG & jpeg, then set the jpeg captures to Monochrom. After doing this for a while, I liked the b&w from the Q2 so much that I ended up selling my Q2M. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else? The two files posted below are from the Q2 and are straight out of the camera. The b&w image quality in the image below is very typical. I rarely have to make any kind of adjustments in post.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

didn't we read the same about M10 vs M10 monochrom or M246 monochrom. I must say that I have no idea about monochrom cameras but always read that in LR you can get/create the (near) same rsults. In my head today I have the understanding that a monochrom sensor is ideal for low light in the first instance.

Interesting that a simlar outcome is reported by @Overgaard.  He loves the monochroms but could not get any native B&W image printed in magazines.  So he reverted to color but can convert to B&W as needed.

I enjoy the M Monochroms immensely...  The idea of a Q2M is weird to me and the fact that many people get it shows one's assumptions are for one's own benefit first.  But, apparently you can now shoot native B&W movies?  Previously you could only do that with the MM 246.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

I love editing. It makes all the difference at the end. And it takes me a lot of time with Lightroom. 

For the quick shots I use the iPhone

let me rephrase slightly and amplify. i detest all the paradigms which have been used for editing so far--video far more than stills--and the resulting user interfaces. for just one example, photoshop was never meant for photo editing--it started as a tool to create advertising graphic art. and gimp has always been a disaster created by a committee of zebras.

for just one example, fcpx has light gray icons on only a slightly darker grey background. the icons are little more than pinpoints and they are scattered everywhere and many don't have tooltips when you hover over them. a picture might be worth a thousand words but that doesn't apply to icons which i call 'press and pray' screen mines. also, right click is not consistently used for a vast majority of actions you should be able to do with them. i have very little eyesight and i can't translate icons so i need most of the functions to be in the menus, and they're just not.

i use dxo photolob which i consider the best of a bad lot, but not only do they not have all the functions in menus, for some functions they're in there 3-4 times!

Edited by gteague
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, setuporg said:

Interesting that a simlar outcome is reported by @Overgaard.  He loves the monochroms but could not get any native B&W image printed in magazines.  So he reverted to color but can convert to B&W as needed.

I enjoy the M Monochroms immensely...  The idea of a Q2M is weird to me and the fact that many people get it shows one's assumptions are for one's own benefit first.  But, apparently you can now shoot native B&W movies?  Previously you could only do that with the MM 246.

Come on - Overgaard is not the judge of photography - as is hardly any photographer, pro or not - but a man more interested in lizard  skin camera bags, elefant skin camera half cases and straps made of crocodile - is hardly a person, I would ask for real photographic advice in creating strong images. 😉 He knows some about the Leica brand and cameras, but is for sure no Erwin Puts or the like.

Judging from his images, he’s a mediocre pro photog - at best. But that’s just my opnion.

He is for sure great fun to read and a Leica character with a lot of passion for the brand.

All this spiced up with Scientology and a Trump boasting wife. Which can be either a plus or a minus depending on the audience.

3 hours ago, setuporg said:

I suppose the one primary advantage to having the native b&w is that you can use the traditional contrast filters for a better effect than is possible (for me, anyway) in post.

Also, the b&w video is pretty cool.

Somebody should tell Overgaard about B & W Magazine. They don't accept color images. ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, M10 for me said:

didn't we read the same about M10 vs M10 monochrom or M246 monochrom. I must say that I have no idea about monochrom cameras but always read that in LR you can get/create the (near) same rsults. In my head today I have the understanding that a monochrom sensor is ideal for low light in the first instance.

I think the M10 story is a bit different, at least it is for me. I can get decent b&w conversions from my M10-P files, but they don't have the tonal range I get from my M10M files. The M10M is in a class by itself, in my opinion. You are correct about the low light capability of the monochrom sensors.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, mcpallesen said:

Come on - Overgaard is not the judge of photography - as is hardly any photographer, pro or not...

Judging from his images, he’s a mediocre pro photog - at best. But that’s just my opnion.

I agree with you about his obsession with fancy bags and camera covers, however,  I would not characterize his work as mediocre. He's no Robert Frank, but he clearly knows how to shoot and manages to get hired all around the planet.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, M10 for me said:

I love editing. It makes all the difference at the end. And it takes me a lot of time with Lightroom. 

For the quick shots I use the iPhone

I also don't mind editing and the photos above might be the first two I've ever posted without doing some post processing. On the other hand, I appreciate having a camera that gets me close to what I want prior to editing. The less time I spend editing, the more time I have to shoot.

The new iPhones are fine if all you want to do is post online. I've had the not so pleasant experience of having to make relatively decent prints from iPhone II images. They're okay up to about 8x12. After that, forget it.

ok, can't resist weighing in here as i have some recent data having taken advantage of a recent 'fire sale' and bought what overgaard sells for about $8k for $99. i for sure didn't need any of the photography tutor books or videos, but i wanted the q2 and cl material included and i thought i might look through some of the more advanced ebooks.

but first let me say that before this, i bought one of his camera straps. i agonized for nearly a year over the price of well over $300 for the longer one. during the transaction i met one of or maybe his only representative---a super friendly canadian (aren't they all!) and was much impressed. as i was with the strap with which i could find no fault whatsoever and only praise. perfect length for sling carry, doesn't 'stick' to your neck and shoulders but slides perfectly as a sling strap should--i have one from 'rock island'? in greece which is nearly a clone, but is too short and sticks like glue and thus is nearly unusable. the material of the overgaard one is super high quality cowhide and imminently flexible to fit into any camera bag along with the camera. and there's nothing to mar up the finish on your camera as the leather protects the rings.

now, having got the praise out of the way, i read a couple of the books--especially the q2 one--and watched 4-5 video classes. the books really said nothing that he hadn't already written in his hugely detailed and extensive review and that's free on his page. so, $100 for the q2 ebook would be a foolish purchase imo. the cl book was the same--review was actually better and in the books he throws in basic photo filler.

the videos were pretty pathetic. masterclass is a huge misnomer. the ones i watched could easily have  been covered in the first 3 chapters of any decent photography book. just for one instance, he goes to a park where the first thing he does is police the area and photographers changing the scene they're about to shoot are one of my sore points, but i'm a journalistic hcb style photographer, not an art photographer. then he spends like 10-15 minutes telling us how to white balance using a $300 tool for the job and, imo, literally not improving the shot from the auto white balance. he's lucky that bench didn't move. also, his presentation is droning and accented and i've found the scandanavian accents are natively sort of sing-song--at least to my ear.

the haul also included dozens of presets for leica models for lightroom and capture one, neither of which i own or have the least interest in owning.. but i haven't written off the purchase yet because there are at least a half-dozen books which look promising and although i've been shooting for 55+ years now, i can always learn something new--especially since most of my experience was with film.

/guy

Edited by gteague
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Gteague--you'll get no disagreement from me about anything you wrote. My comments only pertain to the quality of his images. Sorry for your bad experience.

it wasn't really that bad an experience when you consider i didn't waste $8k on the package! :) :) /guy

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, setuporg said:

He loves the monochroms but could not get any native B&W image printed in magazines.

Which probably stems from offering them in greyscale instead of RGB.

• Haha 1