Silver Efex

To my knowledge SilverEfex is not a stand-alone product but a plug-in for LR/PS. So you import DNG to LR and then go to edit in external editor (you should set up SEP before that in LR settings) and LR creates (depending on your presets) for example a TIFF file with color room settings as you wish. Then Sep opens and you can edit.

vor 34 Minuten schrieb Casakleinhuis:

I bought Silver Efex, but when i wanted to load the first DNG files from my Q2M, i found out it was not possible, because the program doesn't support that camera yet (i think). Any more people having this problem?

Silver Efex ist a great plug-in - hofo 100  is right. Whats's your raw converter? And silver-efex is in a bundle called Nik Collection. What is with the other plug-ins? Do they work? Do other plug-ins work with your host raw - converter?

Perhaps try it with a jpg or another raw from a diffrent brand or another Q - download a sample from dpreview an test it.

Edited by TeleElmar135mm
ergänzung

Silver Efex definitely works with Q2M, as a plug-in for Lightroom and Photoshop.  I have had a few problems with the file failing to load and the screen just freezing.  I'm using an iMac and I just use 'force quit', then load the file again and it runs fine.  This happens only occasionally and it's not specific to one camera.  

Here is one Silver Efex edit from the Q2M that my granddaughter hates, together with the original, which she likes!  You can have fun with this plug-in . . .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

vor 6 Stunden schrieb T25UFO:

Silver Efex definitely works with Q2M, as a plug-in for Lightroom and Photoshop.  I have had a few problems with the file failing to load and the screen just freezing.  I'm using an iMac and I just use 'force quit', then load the file again and it runs fine.  This happens only occasionally and it's not specific to one camera.  

Here is one Silver Efex edit from the Q2M that my granddaughter hates, together with the original, which she likes!  You can have fun with this plug-in . . .

As I started more and more shooting b/w I wonder if the above shown result could be achieved just with LR. 

I am actually quite happy with my results but I do not know what I miss without the plugin.

Lots of issues with the latest versions of Nik software from what I am reading. If you use an older Version like Silver Efex 2 it should work. The issue you might be having is that you try to read monochrome files into Silver Efex which does not work without a little detour: you have to change the profile to "RGB" mode first, for example in Photoshop. Silver Efex 2 only reads files with color information because it assumes that a B&W file is created from a color file - which often isn't true. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hofo100 said:

To my knowledge SilverEfex is not a stand-alone product but a plug-in for LR/PS. So you import DNG to LR and then go to edit in external editor (you should set up SEP before that in LR settings) and LR creates (depending on your presets) for example a TIFF file with color room settings as you wish. Then Sep opens and you can edit.

Didn't know that, but now i do, and it works just fine. Thank you very much!

the nik collection 3 i got from dxo seems to run standalone on the mac.

7 minutes ago, gteague said:

the nik collection 3 i got from dxo seems to run standalone on the mac.

Same here - I think it’s just that it can’t deal with a raw file. It needs a RGB TIFF or jpeg file. Personally, I use it as a plug-in for C1 rather than in stand alone mode

12 hours ago, Casakleinhuis said:

I bought Silver Efex, but when i wanted to load the first DNG files from my Q2M, i found out it was not possible, because the program doesn't support that camera yet (i think). Any more people having this problem?

Convert the image from grayscale to RGB. Then work on the file in SE. When you've finished working on it, convert back to Grayscale and save it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, T25UFO said:

I agree with your daughter and think the second (more normal) one is better. Nice portrait, by the way.

• Thanks 2

Guest Nowhereman

^ Both in Lightroom and in SilverEfex, it's important not to overdo on the sliders, particularly on Structure in SilverEfex. One may want a bit more than in the original photo, but not to the extent of the SilverEfex edited photo: for example, look at what's happened to the T-shirt.