Is there any way of mounting the M Bellows (last type) on the SL?

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When mounted on my SL the M to L Adapter allows sufficient clearance but its lens release protrudes too far and fouls and so won't allow the bellows to mount. Does anyone know of a solution (a dumb adapter which fits or an M ecxtension tube or some M tube which I can modify)? Or another bellows which is mountable and which will take ltm threaded lenses?

Quick guess is any M42bellows, both ends? That way lens end all you need is the M42 to M39 ring. Camera end a simple M42 to L adapter or M42 to something like EOS,  then EOS to L? Would that work? 

Just re-read your post, what about another simple M-L adapter, with less protruding release button? 

Gary

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gbealnz said:

Quick guess is any M42bellows, both ends? That way lens end all you need is the M42 to M39 ring. Camera end a simple M42 to L adapter or M42 to something like EOS,  then EOS to L? Would that work? 

Just re-read your post, what about another simple M-L adapter, with less protruding release button? 

Gary

Because you won't be able to reach the lens release button to remove it from the bellows, or only with difficulty.

The M bellows works well on the Sony A7 and for various reasons it is my preferred option (and I have it already!). So what would be ideal would be a shortish M fit extension tube .....

26 minutes ago, pgk said:

Or another bellows which is mountable and which will take ltm threaded lenses?

This one might be a possibility (it works on CL and M10, but I have no experience with SL):

Alternatively, couldn't you add a Macro-Adapter-M between M to L adapter and M bellows? But probably more expensive than the M bellows.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

44 minutes ago, pgk said:

know of a solution

For the M10, I use a Visoflex II as the 'adapter'.

D-lux 6

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Studienkamera said:

Alternatively, couldn't you add a Macro-Adapter-M between M to L adapter and M bellows? But probably more expensive than the M bellows.

A perfect solution but 10x the cost of the bellows! Perhaps not.

2 hours ago, pgk said:

Has anyone tried the Leica OUFRO 16469 to see whether it is usable as it looks like another possible solution?

Just fitted 16469Y to bellows and would say yes, should work fine. If fitted to M body you could just get finger in between bellows back plate and camera to press lens release, but guess you will be fitting via M/SL adaptor. Can post pic if it would help.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, pgk said:

Please!

OK - hope these help!  If it dosn't show what you need please say.

On 6/19/2021 at 5:26 PM, pedaes said:

OK - hope these help!  If it dosn't show what you need please say.

Thanks again. Looking at the M-Adapter-L, the 'problem' is whether the lens release control will work with 16469. Whilst it does look as though there is sufficient cleanance, it is not a vast amount! Its certainly the 'cheapest' solution, if that is, I don't go for a 'copy' of the 16469 as these are available, but to me are of unknown quality.

30 minutes ago, pgk said:

the 'problem'

I am not familiar with SL adapter. The flange is about 6mm deep from the outside of throat of the M mount if that helps..

Unfortunately neither Red Dot or Ffordes seem to have one or they could have tried for you.

Happy to send you mine to try as not something you use every day if you PM me your address.

Last time I saw a 16469 advertised was surprised at how much they wanted - seem to have jumped in price or might have been a 'chancer'!  I have a Chinese M42 to M 'cheepo' adapter and have to say engineering not at all bad.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. No rush so I'll keep thinking about this but many thanks for the offer of a loan. I do have some other options; without using the bellows (I have a Leitz NY focus mount which might work with extension tubes from Corfield or similar), or I could go down the R route which actually gives more and very rigid options, or I could buy a cheaper extender/adapter, whatever. I can fit everything onto the Sony A7 (but I'd like to use the SL if I can), so its not as though I can't use everything!

• Like 1

Here are two more adapter combinations which work and bring the bellows 16 556 to the correct distance from the SL image plane:

1. M-Adapter L 18 771 + Visoflex lens to Leicina Special adapter 543 195 (the latter is very rare)

2. R-Adapter L 16 076 (or any R lens to L mount adapter) + Leica R / M adapter (for Visoflex lenses) 14 167

The latter choice is much more practical because 14 167 is easy to find and cheap.

- Matti

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2021 at 10:48 PM, pgk said:

Thanks again. Looking at the M-Adapter-L, the 'problem' is whether the lens release control will work with 16469. 

Late answer, but maybe it will be of use for someone else some day. 

Yes, it works. I use a a 16469Y between M-Adapter L and bellows II (with a digital CL). Looking at the first post in the linked thread below, the adapter will also work with a 16469. But I doubt it would work with the OUFRO, which has a larger release button. Unfortunately, the 16469 and 16469Y adapters have become very expensive. Much more expensive than a mint bellows II, which I find hard to understand. For this reason, I also tried a cheap Chinese adapter from K&F that is meant to replace 16469. It does not lock correctly into the M-Adapter L and is therefore useless for this purpose. Buy cheap, buy twice.