Quick question, how can I set the non-6bit lens for M-D? or totally unnecessary because M-D has no in-camera processing at all.

Jia

One of so many "manipulations" that M-D (typ 262) doesn't allow.

After using a while, I appreciate those limitations which liberate the picture taking process.

Then some percents of "uncertain results" add spice to the process.

If we want to, we can still use other more friendly (?) M with less limitations.

As a fellow new owner of an M-D I have been wondering this too.

Apparently it is possible to code the lens yourself -- using marker pen, or paint, or a replacing the mount with a special one that has recesses for each bit.

But I wonder how much processing the M-D does. The M-D manual says only this: "They (lenses) can be used regardless of the lens features, and whether it
does or does not have 6-bit coding in the bayonet. In the case of lenses with coding, the camera uses the information transmitted to optimize exposure and image data.
Even without this additional feature, i.e. when using Leica M lenses without identification, the camera will deliver excellent pictures in most situations."

That would seem to imply that the only benefit with the M-D would be slightly more accurate EXIF data. Even with coding the aperture data is only a 'guess'.

However, I have seen reference somewhere about M240/262 in general applying vignetting and distortion correction, but perhaps that is only for jpgs?

I'm not bothered about distortion or vignetting with my Voigtlander 50mm 1.5 MC type 2 as those effects are so minor I never notice them.

Better EXIF would be handy but I can always use a pen and paper to record what aperture I used ... or be consistent in my aperture series ie always start 1.5, 2, 5.6,11 which I have been doing recently to see what sharpness and DOF I get with the various settings as I learn the lens character ...

The M-D will apply correction to 6-bit coded lenses and no correction for uncoded lenses.

As mentioned it is possible to manually code lens mounts. One other option is to use lens-correction software tools when processing-out the DNG files (such as that provided in Photoshop).

My own observations (FWIW) is that the main difference between using an uncoded lens on the M-D is regarding vignetting and this is really only noticeable with some uncoded lenses and, furthermore, really only when fast lenses are used wide-open or thereabouts.

Personally I feel the differences are not worth bothering about. In point of fact in many situations the lens' natural vignetting can actually add something to the image...

Philip.

As I do use lenses of different period, some from 1930's ( Elmar, Summar, Summarit, Summaron, Canon, etc. ) I never care of coding or when the M camera permits ( M240-246/10/9 ) set the closest lens in manual.

Happy to have done this, as in my thousands of non-coded lenses pictures, I appreciate more the real subtle character of each lens in use.

Yes the corrections for coded lenses applied/embedded on DNG files (my M-D takes only non-settable lossless compressed DNG, that is fine for me).