Noctilux SL users

trickness

9 hours ago, trickness said:

I’ve heard good things about the CV 1.2 - you certainly save a fair bit of coin buying that lens. Question is, wide-open does it blow out the background and turn everything into an instant impressionist painting like the Nocti?

It’s completely different. Yes there’s a 2/3 stop difference in DoF. OTOH the CV 50mm 1.2 is always usable wide open and it focuses closer. Can’t say that about the 0.95.personally I think it’s magical to crap ratio is about 20/80. It can shine but too often it’s lousy CA control and god awful corners make it a difficult beast to tame. I can shoot the CV wide open all day and night and it always does nice things.

Gordon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

It’s completely different. Yes there’s a 2/3 stop difference in DoF. OTOH the CV 50mm 1.2 is always usable wide open and it focuses closer. Can’t say that about the 0.95.personally I think it’s magical to crap ratio is about 20/80. It can shine but too often it’s lousy CA control and god awful corners make it a difficult beast to tame. I can shoot the CV wide open all day and night and it always does nice things.

Gordon

These issues are indeed prevalent on the 50 .95, usually the fringing is easily solved in post. Also the colors can sometimes be a bit desaturated wide open. The 75 1.25 is a different universe in terms of optics imho, it has none of these problems to my eye.

16 minutes ago, geddon_jt said:

These issues are indeed prevalent on the 50 .95, usually the fringing is easily solved in post. Also the colors can sometimes be a bit desaturated wide open. The 75 1.25 is a different universe in terms of optics imho, it has none of these problems to my eye.

The 75 SL is so impressive I just can’t mentally make the leap to the cost of the 75 Nocti. It’s one of those lenses that blows you away with the most mundane of pictures, incredible color and 3D pop, painterly bokeh, and you can get a used copy for just a bit over 4K.

• Like 4

SL2 + 50 Noctilux 1.2

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve own a Nocti V4 1.0 and after using it and loving it ( on a M8, M9 and SL ) ,I upgraded - or so I thought to a Nocti 0.95 new.

As someone said here, was the first Leica lens that I sold ( the 0.95 ) that I have ZERO regrets. Itched scratched, done. Wont ever buy one again.

The v4 ? Probably my biggest error in selling it in my lifetime Ive done - and I’m talking to a seller to buy another. 

There is nothing like it , period.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, proenca said:

There is nothing like it , period.

What are the main features of 1.0 you prefer over 0.95?  I have both, and 1.0 is clearly a vintage look lens with heavy vignette wide open…. @Overgaard has a whole write up how he upgraded from 1.0 to 0.95 and never looked back.:). And he’s renowned for the 0.95 shots.

• Like 2

I also owned the .95 and rarely liked its output, I eventually sold it. I own the F1 as well and that won’t ever be for sale. The F1 isn’t technically as good as the .95 but it turns mundane into magic at times.  The .95 just never did it for me. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned the 0.95 nocti for some time (years). I used it with not great success on my M10 and SL. Having purchased an SL2, I can say that my Nocti went from eh to awesome because I have a higher hit rate (thank you IBIS). I also believe the higher MP count along with dynamic range improvements help tremendously. I won’t part with it. The CV 1.5/50mm is my next favorite 50 (M mount). They both have intriguing renderings. 

With that said, the SL 1.4/50mm is EXCELLENT. I can’t put into words how awesome this lens is (colors and sharpness across the frame). I can’t wait to get out with it. In fact, the SL 2/35mm and 2/75mm are fantastic too. The SL lenses are the best lenses I’ve ever used in that focal range. 

However, I will always use M glass along side my SL glass because the rendering and MF experience are not easily replicated.

I hope to purchase the 1.25/75mm for my SL2 this year. 

(I’ve never shot the Nocti 1.0). Sounds like I need to find one to shoot or buy. 

• Like 1

If you have photography in your blood I believe you owe it to yourself to own and use the Noctilux 50 0,95 at least once in your life. Whenever I pick it up I am assured, I'll walk away with at least one special shot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Odd man out. So far I prefer using the 0,95 on the M10's OVF instead of the SL2's EVF. But that could just be my muscle memory and I need more SL2 + 0,95 EVF practice time. 

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Am 16.6.2021 um 16:31 schrieb trickness:

I previously had an M 50 1.4 Lux and I agree the rendering was very different, especially in the out of focus areas. I do believe that the SL Summicron lenses are quite superior to M glass in terms of color rendition, and I am always amazed how 3-D the photos are vs. M lenses. In my personal experience I feel that the SL Summicron glass delivers that “Leica look” even more so than M lenses. But I do enjoy the lighter weight and manual focusing of the M glass.

do you have a link to a photo gallery of images you’ve taken with the SL2/Nocti?

Not yet but I will provide it

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

If you have photography in your blood I believe you owe it to yourself to own and use the Noctilux 50 0,95 at least once in your life. Whenever I pick it up I am assured, I'll walk away with at least one special shot.

Odd man out. So far I prefer using the 0,95 on the M10's OVF instead of the SL2's EVF. But that could just be my muscle memory and I need more SL2 + 0,95 EVF practice time. 

And yet this image, which is excellent, doesn’t really lean into the (cliche?) Nocti shallow DOF look, it looks like it could have been taken with almost any fast Leica lens. So why pay the weight and size (and price) penalties if this is the look you’re going for? I’m curious.

On 6/16/2021 at 1:36 AM, Gavin Cato said:

I borrowed a 50/0.95 and shot it in a park for 45 mins.

As nice as it was, I currently have the SL 50 1.4 which is still extraordinarily shallow DoF wise, and it's quite a bit sharper and has AF.

On the other hand, the 75 Nocti definitely has my curiosity :)

Agree 100%.  Swapped my SL 50mm f1.4 for the SL 75mm f2.0.  As much as I love the 75, the 50 has a certain quality that I haven't seen in any other lens.  

I recently bought the M 50mm Noctilux f1.2, which I really like, and it has it's own signature look, but I will probably use that more on the M camera.  No problem focussing wide open because it isn't sharp anyway!  

I too would love to buy the M 75 Noctilux, or even the M 90mm Summilux, but I question whether they are GBP 6,000 better than the SL 75 mm.  Of course, the sure fire way to find out is to buy, but that becomes a very expensive experiment 😩

Perhaps the best option is to buy the SL 50mm Summilux again, although it's longer, wider and heavier than both the 75 Noctilux and the 90 Summilux, and it was the size and weight that made me sell it last time.

• Like 2

I've written this elsewhere on the forum a few years ago; I've had the 50/1.0 Noctilux for more than 10 years and it's my 'cold, dead hands lens' but I had the opportunity to buy the 50/0.95 Noctilux for a reasonable price so I had them side by side for six months or so.

Mechanically the 0.95 seemed a little better - buttery smooth focus ring compared to my 1.0's very slightly stiffer focus ring.  I didn't notice much difference in weight or other handling on my (at the time) M240 but I come from many years of schlepping the massive Pentax 67 medium format rig plus a necessarily heavy tripod etc up and down mountains at silly o'clock in the morning so I probably don't notice or think about the weight of 'heavy' M lenses as much as others might. 

There was no sense in keeping both Noctiluxes so I returned the 0.95 'back into the wild' and kept the 1.0 and the decision was straightforward and based solely on the comparative rendering of the lenses.  The rendering of the 50/10 Noctilux is unique in my experience and there is no other lens that delivers in the way that it does.  The subtle pastel tones, the delicate vignetting wide open, and its ability to see detail in the dark well beyond what I can see are what entranced me in the first place and its ability to isolate subjects is superb yet gentle in some way.  Of course any fast lens offers subject isolation but the way the 1.0 does it appeals very much to me.

On the other hand, the 0.95 has more contrast and captures slightly more detail wide open but its 'signature' was almost indistinguishable from my 50/1.4 Summilux asph; also an excellent lens but, again, I couldn't see the point of having two such similar lenses.  Some people have described the look of the Summilux and the 0.95 Noctilux as "clinical" or "harsh" but I think this is unfair.  Both are astounding lenses manufactured and performing to several degrees of excellence in faithfully reproducing what it's pointed at - but that's not what I'm really looking for so the 0.95 Noctilux went. 

My metier is not to produce completely faithful representations of objects so I'm quite happy to have, and sometimes prefer a lens to have a little character, hence why I kept the 50/1.0 Noctilux and moved the 50/0.95 Noctilux on.  My reasons and preferences might differ from yours but I hope the above is of some help.

I've recently acquired a 75/1.25 Noctilux and, although Covid lockdown has severely restricted my using it, already I can see that it is an exceptional lens which renders differently from either the 50/1.0 Noctilux and the 50/0.95 Noctilux and appears already to have its own wonderful signature.  

Pete.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

What he said (though I don’t have the 75 Noctilux).

I have, and have had a number of 50s - Summitar from 1948 (has the same swirly bokeh of the f/1.0 Noctilux); the 50 Summilux-M ASPH (glued to my Monochrom); the 50 Summillux-SL (sold); 50 Noctilux 0.95; and APO 50 Summicron (on my M10-D).  No question, the 50 Summilux-SL was the best of the bunch - lovely smooth out of focus treatment, tack sharp and that very fine plain of best focus the SL lenses are known for.  But it is big and heavy … I decided some time ago to rationalise my SL gear (down to just the 24-90 zoom).

So, with the SL I will stick with the one zoom, and then use the M primes when needed.  I confess this has left me missing my 75 Summicron-M and wondering about other SL lenses … However, the larger M lenses (21 & 75 Summiluxes and 0.95 Noct) are nice in the hand with the SL, and while they probably don’t have the performance of the SL lenses, the finer differences aren’t important to me (not being a pixel peeper).

On the SL, the purple fringeing with the Noctilux is pretty much non-existent, the focusing is easy (I like the long throw) and the images have something special.  I’m not sure I agree with Pete that they are almost indistinguishable from the 50 Summilux-M ASPH.  There is similarity, but I find the Noct has a different finger-print I can’t quite explain.  Not sure this helps …

• Like 6

22 hours ago, trickness said:

And yet this image, which is excellent, doesn’t really lean into the (cliche?) Nocti shallow DOF look, it looks like it could have been taken with almost any fast Leica lens. So why pay the weight and size (and price) penalties if this is the look you’re going for? I’m curious.

Maybe more the "Nocti" cliche you are looking for?

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

just to be clear. You can shoot the Noctilux quite clean with lots of details too..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Photoworks said:

just to be clear. You can shoot the Noctilux quite clean with lots of details too..

I agree. I paid demasiado dinero for Leica 0,95, and want to use it at 0,95. But this beautiful lens also sings at F5.6. 

• Like 3

Had the Noctilux, but it was too slow to attain focus for my shooting. Quite often, I only have a split second to get the shot, and the Noct, as beautiful as it is, was just took too long to attain accurate focus. So it's the SL 50mm Lux for me, and its stellar.

• Like 15