M10-P to Q2M to M10-P again?

jackbaty

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last summer I bought an M10-P and loved it. I have a few M lenses (from my M6) and it felt really great to use a digital M. I shot a friends wedding and was surprised by the results and the number of in-focus keepers. Maybe my eyes aren't so bad after all.

However, I sometimes tire of manual focus and limits to how close I can get with M lenses, so I bought an SL2-S with the APO 35 L (wow!).

I figured I was all set, but then I started looking at the Q2M and have always loved the idea of the Leica B&W only sensors. I owned and loved the original Q, so this seemed like a great idea. I couldn't afford both the M10-P and Q2M so I sold the M.

You can probably guess what happened: I've started to really miss the M10-P. Just handling the M10-P made me happy. While the Q2M is fine, it doesn't have that same tactile effect on me. 

So here I am thinking of trading the Q2M for an M10-P. Some top-of-mind thoughts:

1. For flexible auto-focus and ability to use both M and L lenses I have the SL2-S
  2. For the joy of shooting and an amazing tactile experience I'd have the M10-P
  3. The M10-P with M lenses is much more compact than the SL2-S. However, if concerned about portability, I have a Ricoh GRIII.
  4. The Q is just so damn handy. Will I regret not having it (again)?

I realize that no one can tell me what's "right for me", so I'm basically just thinking out loud here, but I would love to hear from anyone who's gone through something similar.

Thanks for listening.

Jack

Edited by jackbaty

Sure. I have done similar but wish I had kept all of them because given the instant depreciation they were not worth selling. If your digital toy has already lost 30% of it value the minute you drive it off the lot as the saying goes then using it for another few years won’t make much difference resale value goes.

• Like 1

or sell the Q2M for the M10M,   for color you have your SL2S and Ricoh and you get to keep a black and white only sensor?

Whilst some love it, been there myself with the Q  (a Q-P) and felt the same 'it doesn't have that same tactile effect on me' and ended up replacing it with another M.

Yes finding what works best on all levels for oneself in Leica land can be an expensive journey but hopefully in the end you will have your ideal kit that will last :)

If this can help ...

I tend to keep Leica gear, only sell what I think (sometimes wrong) would not be used again.

Over time, two things happened, I didn't regret the gear sold, but other times some regrets happened.

(this would not help much, I know)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Phil_P said:

or sell the Q2M for the M10M,   for color you have your SL2S and Ricoh and you get to keep a black and white only sensor?

Yes, that's what I first thought about doing, but they are still quite expensive. One reason I got the Q2M was to help me "see" in B&W, and it does that, but I'm finding that I don't mind doing B&W conversions myself. Also, I take a lot family snapshots with the Q2M and often later hear, "Nice, but could you send me one in color?". Aargh! :).

Even though I love the idea of the Monochrom version, I think the M10-P might be a better fit.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps you can use the SL2 in DNG+JPG mode and set JPG to monochrome. I am sure the EVF will be in black and white. If the lighting is good and exposure is correct the b/W jpgs will be quite nice or you can convert the DNG files. If that works for you then you can decide on an M10M or M10R.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rtai said:

Perhaps you can use the SL2 in DNG+JPG mode and set JPG to monochrome. I am sure the EVF will be in black and white. If the lighting is good and exposure is correct the b/W jpgs will be quite nice or you can convert the DNG files. If that works for you then you can decide on an M10M or M10R.

Yes, that's a reasonable alternative, thanks. My brain knows that there's a color version in there, but maybe I can learn to trick myself :)

3 hours ago, trickness said:

Given how close we must be to the release of the M11, I wouldn't buy any M body camera new right now. As soon as the M11 is announced 2nd hand prices on all the 10-body cameras save maybe the M10M will plummet.

That's an excellent point. I think I can hold out for a bit :)

9 minutes ago, jackbaty said:

That's an excellent point. I think I can hold out for a bit :)

I think the rumors of a non-detachable base plate, USB-C connectivity, perhaps a tweak to the ISO dial, + 36mp resolution seem very likely. I just hope they can effectively tackle the heat management issues that sometimes the M10 body cameras have.

I would indeed wait until 11/11/21 and see what Wetzlar comes up with. Until then, I would just shoot with what you have (taking photographs is far more satisfying than thinking about camera options).