M10 and Visoflex with eyeglasses

Monty1952

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have been considering an M10-r but on trying one in the store today, the optical viewfinder with eyeglasses was difficult. I have aQ2M and don’t have issues seeing the entire image with glasses on. Anyway does the Visoflex 020 give you a broad enough view with glasses on to see the whole image? 

You do not need to see everything in the rangefinder, unless you are shooting with a 28mm lens.

I wear glasses and can see the 35mm frame using the rangefinder, but I have trouble seeing the 28mm frame. I have no issues with the Visoflex.

I assume you would be fine with 35mm and 50mm frames and use rear LCD or Visoflex for anything wider than 35mm. Another option is an external 28 or 21 optical viewfinder that you mount on the hot-shoe. In that case, you would focus using the rangefinder and frame with the external finder.

• Like 4

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Monty1952:

Have been considering an M10-r but on trying one in the store today, the optical viewfinder with eyeglasses was difficult. I have aQ2M and don’t have issues seeing the entire image with glasses on. Anyway does the Visoflex 020 give you a broad enough view with glasses on to see the whole image? 

Yes, I can see the entire image looking through my glasses and the visoflex.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Helge said:

Why not using the rangefinder without glasses and using a Leica correction lens instead?

I'm using most of my cameras without glasses and using correction lenses/diopter correction instead.

I use both, simultaneously, as glasses correct for distance and astigmatism (and sun protection with sunglasses), while diopter optimizes RF focusing with aging eyes. Having thin, flexible frames with scratch resistant lenses aids in viewing wider frame lines.  I don’t get along with contact lenses. No Visoflex for me.

Each person has different vision requirements, viewing preferences and comfort levels.  Sometimes experimenting with options can be beneficial. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The RF correction lens does all the correction except astigmatism.

Only if you‘ve got a significant astigmatism, the correction lens might not work.

Otherwise, no glasses are required to use the RF.

Edited by Helge

I wear glasses and had used a diopter before.  It was inconvenient to take off and on of glasses when taking pictures.  Ultimately,  I sold the diopter and wearing glasses all the time. When shooting with wider or longer lenses, I use EVF instead.

Edited by Infantasy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Helge said:

The RF correction lens does all the correction except astigmatism.

Only if you‘ve got a significant astigmatism, the correction lens might not work.

Otherwise, no glasses are required to use the RF.

Astigmatism and sun protection (my eyes are sensitive to daylight).   Plus RF focusing with my aging eyes improves through use of +.5 diopter, despite otherwise appropriate (comfortable) distance correction via glasses.  In younger days, this was not needed.

Additionally, I need glasses for when my eye is not against the viewfinder, and I would find it very annoying to have to take them on and off when shooting and walking around.  

Each person is different, with different requirements and preferences.  Math is only part of the story.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Infantasy:

I wear glasses and had used a diopter before.  It was inconvenient to take off and on of glasses when taking pictures.  Ultimately,  I sold the diopter and wearing glasses all the time. When shooting with wider or longer lenses, I use EVF instead.

I was at the same point, however the „naked“ usage of the camera was so tempting.

So I got a strap for the glasses, now taking them off and back on (to check sometimes the picture on the screen) is just a small move.

I use the EVF only for R lenses.