Avid M10 user buys the M10-R

LBJ2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know the new M10-R excitement has come and gone for most of you and I have not been shy about my impressions about the excellent capabilities of the Leica M10 at 24 MPs and my first rangefinder camera. I still feel the same and will continue to recommend. However, after some time reviewing reviews ha ha and chatting with others who went with the -R , I decided the time was right and here I am a Leica M10-R shooter. Hip Hip 🤩

My few initial, right out of the box thoughts include:

-I finally figured out how to open a Leica box with the actual tab so the whole box falls open as it should. Clearly I must have slept through that class in University. In the past, that Leica box tab thing and me didn't really get along very well. The accomplishment feels great. Oh and about the M10-R...

-The shutter sound is not only shockingly quiet, even though I was prepared, but also feels hesitant to even make a peep if that description makes any sense. There is a slightly gradual almost hesitant shutter movement with the M10-R compared to the definitive movement I feel on other cameras, like the M10--just enough to let me know I fired the shutter I suppose. I really like it much more than I thought I would

-Really happy with the touch screen. Something I always missed on my M10 but could of course live without. But now I don't want to

-Very pleased the M10-R is the exact same form factor as the M10. Same batteries and same Leica M10 Grip which I use 100% 

-As usual I was able to update the M10-R with no issues and am eager to try out the new features

-Today I took the M10-R for a first outing and test photos. As I already mentioned, very happy to be holding my  very familiar M10 once again albeit with a few new upgrades under the hood.

For those of you that have gone before me and are so inclined, please post/any details/lessons learned about new -R features that you may have discovered and if you think your lenses look any better or just about the same on the -R . I did not buy the -R for the bump to 41MPs, rather for the other upgrades, I do however have an idea some of my Leica M lenses might look a smidge better on the new 41MP sensor, but will need much more time to compare.

For now my three-year M10 honeymoon continues with the M10-R and already I know I feel compelled to try the new 35/2 APO on the -R at some point as I do like technical advancements in cameras and optics.

Thanks in advance for any M10-R tips and tricks.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Hope you like the new sensor/higher MP, as all the other benefits you mention apply to the less expensive M10-P.

Jeff

Thank you, so far I do. In my case and coming from the M10, I didn't think it practical to spend this kind of money on the M10-P when for a relative little bit more buy the latest sensor tech too found in the -R. I need more time to see if I made the right decision. E.g.,  a bit more dynamic range in the highlights and potentially cleaner long exposures and of course a little more resolution and from early experience and as expected, the 41MPs does not hinder my ability to get tack sharp images. 

But yes, if someone already owns the M10-P they might not consider the -R a significant enough upgrade.