Lens for CL 18-56 and Bokeh

I find "good" Bokeh hard to define -  but I have no complaints. Note  that due to the sensor format and limited aperture you will have to get in close to get a shallow DOF.

In the absence of reports of poor bokeh from forum members, I would assume every user is happy with the results from the standard zoom. In my experience, the results are very good indeed. Remember, the starting aperture is f/3.5; so the background is never wildly unsharp, just sufficient to provide visual isolation.

I find that when doing my automotive shots with the 18-56mm it's a fine line between getting some bokeh and enough depth of field to get the entire car in focus.  Typically I have to be about 8 -10 feet away from the car and at f/4 to f/5.6 the car will be separated from the background with a moderate amount of blur.  My main objective is to get the car to pop from the background and I can usually accomplish that.  

With a smaller subject the closer you can get the better the bokeh will be, obviously.  I wouldn't say the 18-56mm is a bokeh monster, but for the most part it's pretty good and enough to get that separation.  

• Like 1

It is a surprisingly good lens - at least, it always surprises me in good way - but not the lens I would choose for shallow depth of field and good bokeh effects.  There is nothing wrong with the bokeh, it's just hard to get a shallow depth of field without being very close to the subject.  I would use the TL23 instead (I have both) although in all other respects the zoom matches it easily.