Where is the M240/M-D Film Plane?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M-D has no film plane indicator, and I can't see one on the M240 either. Anyone know even roughly where the film/sensor plane lies? Or do I have to put the shutter into sensor cleaning mode and poke my tape measure in there? 😜

Thanks,

Thanks for your super speedy reply laowai_

I think that puts it just where the '"A" of the 'LEICA' on the hot shoe finishes. Or halfway through the Wetzlar Germany line if you have an engraved top.

Now I can make the measurements I wanted.

Edited by Datsch
enahncement and clarification
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Datsch said:

My M-D has no film plane indicator, and I can't see one on the M240 either. Anyone know even roughly where the film/sensor plane lies? Or do I have to put the shutter into sensor cleaning mode and poke my tape measure in there? 😜

Thanks,

Yes, just left of the "A". You can see it on the M-E version I have at least. Here is a picture of the top plate of the M-E 240 with the plane indicator clearly marked.

I am not sure why they have removed the marking on some M cameras? I think it should be standard on all of them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by martinot

2 hours ago, martinot said:

Yes, just left of the "A". You can see it on the M-E version I have at least. Here is a picture of the top plate of the M-E 240 with the plane indicator clearly marked.

I am not sure why they have removed the marking on some M cameras? I think it should be standard on all of them.

That’s not the plane indicator. It’s well behind that.

See Post #2.

Edited by jdlaing
  • Thanks 1

a.noctilux  I just like to imagine where the sensor is lurking inside there, doing it's photo-sensitive business for me. And I can toy with the idea of drawing the little plimsoll line symbol on the top plate there, so my camera looks all professional like a nikon or something .... 😉

Also, if I am ever crazy enough to try an Elpro 52 with my M-D, I can measure off the new shorter focus distance with a piece of string going between the sensor plane mark and the subject. Of course it would have to be special red silk Leica string, not just any old piece of string, mind ...

pippy I did what you suggested and there was a funny 'clunk' noise when the tape measure hit the sensor. Now I have stripes on all my pictures. I think this is what other manufacturers like Sony call 'Zebra stripes' so I am pleased I now have this advanced facility on my minimalist camera. Then I wondered if I could get a more accurate measurement using a laser measuring tool. Now I have charming little dots of light in my images too, sort of like the Star Wars star field simulation. I soon realised that this was all much too high-tech an approach, so I took the stub of a candle, pointed the M-D up to the sky and popped it in there whilst timing how long it took to burn down. About an hour as it happened which is of course 27.79999914mm as we all know. Now my images have a 'dreamy' look as a result of the molten wax adhering to the sensor. Finally! The true leica feel without having to buy a nocti or a sonnar ...

Seriously though, as a new M user it's been fun to check infinity focus (trees on the horizon) do match up in the rangefinder patch and on the lens infinity marker. Likewise a subject at 70cm measured from the film plane also focuses the same in the patch and on the lens marking. So now I know any blurry photos are definitely down to operator error ... 😆 Not that I have had any blurry photos of course (ahem ...) and I am loving the whole M-D experience so far.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Datsch said:

...I took the stub of a candle, pointed the M-D up to the sky and popped it in there whilst timing how long it took to burn down...

No! No!! No!!!

You did it Wrong, Datsch! If you took the snaps when the candle was still alight you would have been able to capture the ephemeral Leica Glow!

Philip.

Edited by pippy

So I tried the lit candle method but smoke seeped through the viewfinder and stung my eye. In surprise I dropped the camera and as it weighs about 39.8kg it made quite a dent in my toe. Now I walk with a squint and a limp but this has encouraged me to try shooting with my right eye instead and to take things very slowly, which has actually improved my photography. Bravo!

And the impact of dropping my nearly-mint M-D has caused some of the paint to rub off, showing a brassy glow which has made even further improvements to the image quality, as is widely understood.

What great things one learns on this forum ...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Datsch said:

What great things one learns on this forum ...

Something that I learned here is to be "light" :

- not taking things too seriously

- use the light we have or be able to create

- have light touch

- be light flare for newbies

- turn every conversation light

- etc.

On 6/13/2021 at 9:20 PM, jdlaing said:

That’s not the plane indicator. It’s well behind that.

See Post #2.

My fault looking at my M-E 240 too quickly without thinking about the Leica M flange distance.

It should of course have a dash in a small circle to point to the plane as well. Like the marking on my X-E3 to the left of the hot shoe:

Thanks for correcting me!

28 minutes ago, martinot said:

My fault looking at my M-E 240 too quickly without thinking about the Leica M flange distance.

It should of course have a dash in a small circle to point to the plane as well. Like the marking on my X-E3 to the left of the hot shoe:

Thanks for correcting me!

Those markings are long gone.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:43 PM, jdlaing said:

Those markings are long gone.

Thinking about it, I do not think I have seen them on Leica cameras. At least never on M bodies. Have I missed some?

On Fujifilm and some other cameras, they are still used even today.

Yes, it was on the M5.

Also on the Canon rangefinders. Interestingly, the early ones in this photo seem to use a red dot rather than a line? Is that my imagination?

• Thanks 1

Well it is true, early canons did use a red dot. I think that would look smart on a Leica. Maybe a tin of red enamel paint and a tiny paintbrush are in my future ...