Thinking of going back to SL2 from GFX100S

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/12/2021 at 11:48 AM, Anakronox said:

I bought almost fully into the GFX system as well before COVID with a GFX 50R and all lenses except the 250mm and 23mm.  I put them all up for sale in November and haven’t looked back (if you don’t count gassing over the GFX 100S a bit).  That paid down a bit on my SL2, 50mm and 35mm Summicrons, which if you go by pure specs alone can’t compete with the Fuji system.  However, I found that I really love the rendering of the Leica glass so much more than the Fuji, which was overly harsh and didn’t have any real magic to it.  Is the SL2 great in very low light, where I find myself often?  Nope.  Does it have the best autofocus available?  Not even close.  Do I want to pick it up and make photos with it?  Damn right I do.  At this point I’d much rather shoot film medium format instead of the GFX.

There’s always the question of “what if?” but as long as your gear inspires you to get out and shoot and makes the photos you enjoy, why regret your choices?

You wrote, " Is the SL2 great in very low light, where I find myself often?  Nope.  Does it have the best autofocus available?  Not even close.  Do I want to pick it up and make photos with it?  Damn right I do." 🙌 

I'm on my SL2 honeymoon so enjoying much the same emotions. FWIW, unedited low light images still look like low light images to me, regardless of any slight advantages some sensors might have measured over others. Regardless, I don't shoot a lot of low light and when I do, there are some nice apps out there to take care of ugly noise,  just like I do with my Sony BSI sensors. So for me not a practical issue to worry about and we've all seen what the SL2 can produce outside of the sensor compares/measurements--which causes me to wonder if those comparative differences in popular sensor measurement results we all like to pass around are as significant in real-world as the forums would have us believe. 

I've seen some beautiful images produced by the Fujifilm Digital Medium Format cameras on the various forums. To my eyes however, not seeing a clear advantage to the smaller digital medium format images over equally high end full frame cameras for personal use, at least online and in general, unlike some of the film Medium Format images I've seen posted. But because I haven't seen many digital medium format wow-factor images yet, I really have not investigated/scrutinized as much as I would normally. So a very real chance I don't know what I don't know. 

Of course for commercial use where seems today many single images become the foundation for many more images and composites, the larger than FF digital format sensor will in general have an advantage. 

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Peter on the enjoyment of using the Leica over the GFX 100 S, I also sold my GFX100S kit and I’m currently building an SL2S kit, I’m really enjoying the 50 APO but definitely would like to try some M lenses.

Edited by keepsabeat
  • Like 1