M6 Bubble Question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear M6 Owners,

Good day. I am looking at purchasing a new M6 and actually just did so online. I received the camera in excellent condition but noticed some small bubbles on the backdoor. This was not made known to me at the time of purchase. The camera is bought from a reputable dealer who has confirmed that the camera is fully functional and given a 6 month guarantee.

I understand that this is a common issue. My question to M6 owners, especially long term owners, is that is it likely that this worsens with time and that I would have to replace the back door? Or should I just overlook this matter. I have done extensive google searches and have seen answers from users who have used their m6 with this issue with no problems and people mentioning that the zinc will corrode into dust(could not find much pictorial evidence of this though).

Thank you very much for all your answers in advance.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's fine. The back door is not zinc like the top plate, so that is just an issue with paint most likely.

I feel the corrosion issue is over-stated because it can be avoided and/or controlled. There are M6s which are "cutaway" to raw zinc and not rotting away.

Don't worry about it. It is not an issue. It is not contagious and the bubbles in the paint will not show on you films. Use that lovely camera and enjoy it!   If you really can't deal with this minuscule imperfection, send it back for a refund and buy a new Leica MP.

Edited by BradS
to correct spelling errors

Hi all, I found this in the viewfinder. I’m planning to return this but was wondering if this is fungus and can be sorted by a CLA? Thank you. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

the greasy haze or the white specks?

but seriously, you are obviously not thrilled with this item. I imagine it was hideously expensive (that seems to be the going rate for used M6 these days). It seems like you're forever going to be second guessing the purchase. Do yourself a favor and send it back now while you still can...you will feel a relief - like you dodged a bullet.

• Like 1

Looks to me like the white specks are dust. 

The haze in the viewfinder could be taken care of during a CLA - but if it is not tolerable to you, why should you have to spend the extra money for a CLA?? 

I am inclined to agree with @BradS

...Do yourself a favor and send it back now while you still can...you will feel a relief - like you dodged a bullet.

Edited by Herr Barnack

The camera IS fully functional. The issues you are concerned about are cosmetic. Be clear, this is a 30+ year old camera. Check the metering is working perfectly, the slow speeds are exposing correctly,  and you are getting proper exposure at 1/1000. That’s what counts.  Check film winding and return. Do you get accurate focus with known to be properly adjusted lenses?

Leicas are not for fashion, they have a purpose. Use it.

If you don’t like the cosmetic issues, return it. Bear in mind any replacement will be at least the same age with the same potential issues.  I would get a CLA myself so I KNOW it has been done properly. However, unless you have problems with function, it does not NEED a CLA.

Try to enjoy your beautiful M6 :)

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 3

There is no correlation between perfection and price in the the case of the M6. If one can't live with imperfection one definitely shouldn't buy a used M6 - a camera that was already flawed by mediocre material choices from the beginning. The current pricing is beyond me, but then again so is the fact that people pay €500 for a Yashica T4.

It is as simple as has already been said; if you want the right to complain, buy a new MP and get the license to drive your dealer crazy.

3 hours ago, nitroplait said:

a camera that was already flawed by mediocre material choices from the beginning.

It has to be remembered that the choice of material was to answer the problem of distorting brass top plates. The bubbling affected a relatively small number of M6s and was quickly resolved. CNC machining allowed the resumption of the use of brass top plates in later M6 models.

2 hours ago, Matlock said:

It has to be remembered that the choice of material was to answer the problem of distorting brass top plates. 

Well, distorting after a knock, brass top plates didn't just distort on their own given brass top plates had been around for the M since 1953, and earlier if you count LTM as well. The Zinc top plate was to offer a material that could offer a bit of 'bounce' and didn't need the complex dies used in creating the brass top plate. So on one level it was a cost saving exercise, on the other a practical response to keeping Leica in the 'pro' category of hard working cameras.

9 hours ago, 250swb said:

Well, distorting after a knock, brass top plates didn't just distort on their own given brass top plates had been around for the M since 1953, and earlier if you count LTM as well. The Zinc top plate was to offer a material that could offer a bit of 'bounce' and didn't need the complex dies used in creating the brass top plate. So on one level it was a cost saving exercise, on the other a practical response to keeping Leica in the 'pro' category of hard working cameras.

Fully agree Steve, but I was only quoting the Leica statement at the time. A number of top plates had been found to distort, probably questionable quality control during a rather difficult time for the company.

• Like 1