Use an ELMAR-M 50mm F2.8 on a M10-R

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found an old ELMAR-M 50mm F2.8 (about 1963) collapsible lens.  Before spending money having it cleaned and repaired, I  wanted to know if it could be used on a new M10-R? It looks like it will everything but the depth appears to be very tight. 
Will collapsing the lens while on the camera cause damage to the camera?

thanks

It should be fine to collapse.  I had a more modern elmar M which worked fine.  Image quality on the modern version was contrasty and sharp - but not as subtle as the summicron.  Hope that helps...

If this is about a 1963 lens it would be an "Elmar  50mm f 2.8" in M mount.  Leitz made the 50mm Elmar 2.8 in both ltm and M mounts, but both had the "Elmar" model name. The designation "Elmar-M" is for a much later lens with different mechanics and optical formula. I have both the '60s Elmar and the later version, and generally prefer the older Elmar, but the Elmar-M has more modern rendering.

Your instruction manual will tell you which lenses you cannot collapse on your camera.

You can of course use any lens if you don't collapse it but I think the Elmar is fine. Don't be too amazed that it makes pictures, even a pinhole will work for that purpose!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/10/2021 at 8:59 PM, rcusick said:

It should be fine to collapse.  I had a more modern elmar M which worked fine.  Image quality on the modern version was contrasty and sharp - but not as subtle as the summicron.  Hope that helps...

The latest version, Elmar-M can be collapsed. The old versions, Elmar (no —M) should nit be collapsed!

On 6/10/2021 at 2:55 PM, TomB_tx said:

If this is about a 1963 lens it would be an "Elmar  50mm f 2.8" in M mount.  Leitz made the 50mm Elmar 2.8 in both ltm and M mounts, but both had the "Elmar" model name. The designation "Elmar-M" is for a much later lens with different mechanics and optical formula. I have both the '60s Elmar and the later version, and generally prefer the older Elmar, but the Elmar-M has more modern rendering.

It is not an Elmar M but an M mount lens and was looking at an older Elmar for the same reason you mentioned. Reading through the responses, the safest thing is not to collapse the lens once on the M10-R.

Thank you for your reply.