Leica Noctilux-m 50mm f1.2 ASPH black version is it limited run?

JimmyCheng

5 hours ago, jakontil said:

I took the plunge and man, was surprised with this heritage noctilux… hope everyone is a happy camper by now

a noctilux that can be carried all day

Congratulations on your new 1.2! I too purchased it and compared it to all of my Noctilux's and completely agree with you about its lovely size as well as a much better than expected build quality as it feels wonderful in the hand, but in the end I did not keep it. as I shared in a previous thread I found the wide open performance to be exaggerated and too swirly, then at f2 on up it changes into a nice, sharp and contrasty modern lens whereas my original 1968 copy is smoother with a more controlled artistic look wide open along with a more pastel color palette. My f1 Noctilux is my character lens and cost me a fraction of the new remake 1.2 price. It is a neat lens but for me there was more to its appeal than just its wonderful small size as its performance left me a bit underwhelmed overall, yet for those with no Noctilux's in their quiver it could very well make for a wonderful and useful 50. 

Edited by insideline
grammer

12 hours ago, insideline said:

Congratulations on your new 1.2! I too purchased it and compared it to all of my Noctilux's and completely agree with you about its lovely size as well as a much better than expected build quality as it feels wonderful in the hand, but in the end I did not keep it. as I shared in a previous thread I found the wide open performance to be exaggerated and too swirly, then at f2 on up it changes into a nice, sharp and contrasty modern lens whereas my original 1968 copy is smoother with a more controlled artistic look wide open along with a more pastel color palette. My f1 Noctilux is my character lens and cost me a fraction of the new remake 1.2 price. It is a neat lens but for me there was more to its appeal than just its wonderful small size as its performance left me a bit underwhelmed overall, yet for those with no Noctilux's in their quiver it could very well make for a wonderful and useful 50. 

Hi mate, exactly what your thoughts are, considering u have the original and f1 noct, I’d probably stick with ‘em too

but what i have is the 0.95, despite being a beast of its own, the 1.2 is a nice addition that i’d keep

9 hours ago, jakontil said:

Hi mate, exactly what your thoughts are, considering u have the original and f1 noct, I’d probably stick with ‘em too

but what i have is the 0.95, despite being a beast of its own, the 1.2 is a nice addition that i’d keep

Hello Jakontil, I would make the same choice as you as I sold my .95 as it simply was too large to be considered a regular use lens regardless of how beautifully it renders. The new 1.2 is the perfect size to be used all of the time, and as I said previously to me the build quality feels superior to my other modern Leica lenses. Enjoy the lens!