Leica Noctilux-m 50mm f1.2 ASPH black version is it limited run?

JimmyCheng

4 hours ago, Steven said:

How did you think I ended up with this purchasing power ? 

I'd like to think that you are the Man who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo......but I'll spare you all the youtube link.

:)

Philip.

Edited by pippy

34 minutes ago, farnz said:

How so?  (Just curious and please ignore at your whim.)

Pete.

When I was younger, I actually studied cinema and fell in love with photography very quickly. But I got married and got kids and it didn’t financially cover the lifestyle I wanted. So so far from it. 

So I did other things. From the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep, all I do is make money. 

Photography and cinema have become an escape. Not the place where I make money, but rather the one where I spend my money. I invest in films, I buy expensive cameras. I prefer it this way. I live it like a passion and it’s a privilege. 

another reason why selling photos has always been out of the question, is because of judgement. I don’t like people judging me (in good or in bad). Not because I get embarrassed, but because someone it influences what I do. 

i used to take photos to please people, feel proud in front of friends and family. So I did what I thought they would like. And when they didn’t like it, it hurt. 

One day I decided to stop showing my work to people I knew to liberate myself from their judgement. I became “anonymous” on Instagram … I did what I liked, without caring what people thought. And I started feeling great. 

To some extent, I think that I would feel arrogant if sold photos. I mean I like my photos and I’m proud of them, but who am I to say they’re worth money ! 

Many people ask me to buy some prints on Instagram. I usually ask for their email, send my photo in high res, and let them do whatever they want with it. 

if photography becomes a business, it’s over for me. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Problem solved. 

I was too curious, I opened the paper box. Inside I found a beautiful plastic case. 

I was too curious, I opened the case. Inside, I found a gorgeous lens. 

I was too curious, I mounted it on my camera. Damn it takes nice photos. 

I'm not a huge fan of the 50mm, but I got very quickly attached to that lens. In a couples hours only. It's all I love in a lens. Sharp, but with character. Good ergonomics, and a very vintage feel. The swirly bokeh makes foliage background look amazing. 

I am keeping it for sure. It's my third 50mm lens, and 50 is my third focal length, I suppose. But funny how you can go into the store, buy something you don't know about or don't even need, and end up with an inseparable gem.

If they ever make this in BP.......

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In case you care to learn more about the lens you ‘accidentally’ bought…

https://www.slack.co.uk/leica-noctilux-f1.2.html

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2021/01/leica-noctilux-m-50mm-f-1-2-asph-an-icon-returns/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4C6ngV_UTvM

Of course you could find a silver version (100 copies… so far). About $17k at release.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Steven said:

Problem solved. 

I was too curious, I opened the paper box. Inside I found a beautiful plastic case. 

I was too curious, I opened the case. Inside, I found a gorgeous lens. 

I was too curious, I mounted it on my camera. Damn it takes nice photos. 

I'm not a huge fan of the 50mm, but I got very quickly attached to that lens. In a couples hours only. It's all I love in a lens. Sharp, but with character. Good ergonomics, and a very vintage feel. The swirly bokeh makes foliage background look amazing. 

I am keeping it for sure. It's my third 50mm lens, and 50 is my third focal length, I suppose. But funny how you can go into the store, buy something you don't know about or don't even need, and end up with an inseparable gem.

If they ever make this in BP.......

good choice, it's a great lens, I think you will love it

2 minutes ago, Fedro said:

good choice, it's a great lens, I think you will love it

Already do. It's a mix of my other two 50s. For sure it will be my favourite. The only reason I could see to use the other two is size. 

6 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

In case you care to learn more about the lens you ‘accidentally’ bought…

I like the way you put it. Such a happy accident. Life is not easy everyday, it's good to have moments of joy like this...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steven said:

When I was younger, I actually studied cinema and fell in love with photography very quickly. But I got married and got kids and it didn’t financially cover the lifestyle I wanted. So so far from it. 

So I did other things. From the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep, all I do is make money. 

Photography and cinema have become an escape. Not the place where I make money, but rather the one where I spend my money. I invest in films, I buy expensive cameras. I prefer it this way. I live it like a passion and it’s a privilege. 

another reason why selling photos has always been out of the question, is because of judgement. I don’t like people judging me (in good or in bad). Not because I get embarrassed, but because someone it influences what I do. 

i used to take photos to please people, feel proud in front of friends and family. So I did what I thought they would like. And when they didn’t like it, it hurt. 

One day I decided to stop showing my work to people I knew to liberate myself from their judgement. I became “anonymous” on Instagram … I did what I liked, without caring what people thought. And I started feeling great. 

To some extent, I think that I would feel arrogant if sold photos. I mean I like my photos and I’m proud of them, but who am I to say they’re worth money ! 

Many people ask me to buy some prints on Instagram. I usually ask for their email, send my photo in high res, and let them do whatever they want with it. 

if photography becomes a business, it’s over for me. 

Photography has been a business for me and the passion was completely gone after a while, although the customers where quite satisfied with the results. Then I started another career and the passion came back after 10 years or so.

21 minutes ago, Gobert said:

Photography has been a business for me and the passion was completely gone after a while, although the customers where quite satisfied with the results. Then I started another career and the passion came back after 10 years or so.

I know exactly what you feel. 

The real freedom of photography is when you don't have a predefined mission when you pick up your camera. That's when you let your eyes see what they want to see. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steven said:

I know exactly what you feel. 

The real freedom of photography is when you don't have a predefined mission when you pick up your camera. That's when you let your eyes see what they want to see. 

It has become a hobby. I don’t want to be it more than that.

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Already do.

Please don’t take this badly but sometimes I find it really hard to understand you. Like in other threads where you ask about a lens then 3 weeks later tell us that you’ve already been using it for a month. In another you mention having two m10rbp sitting in your lap only to say after that you are getting the second one a few days later. Here you “love” a 50mm lens just a day after telling us that you don’t like 50mm much. It’s all so inconsistent sometimes it’s difficult to understand.

2 hours ago, ianman said:

Please don’t take this badly

I don't

Like in other threads where you ask about a lens then 3 weeks later tell us that you’ve already been using it for a month.

I have NEVER done that. 

In another you mention having two m10rbp sitting in your lap only to say after that you are getting the second one a few days later

I did buy two. I like to buy things twice, in case I break one. I have two of my favourite lenses. Two steel rims, two 35aa. A well known and respected member of this forum has told me that he really wants this camera. I actually owe him a service. It also turns out we will both be in saint tropez next week so I proposed to give it to him... because I know I can get a third one at the end of the month. Just trying to be nice to a guy who's been nice to me before. You probably know him. 

Here you “love” a 50mm lens just a day after telling us that you don’t like 50mm much.

I know what I want in life. If you look up my previous posts, you'll see that I started my photography life with a cheap Nikon 50 1.4, which I've used for five years before knowing my D90 was an interchangeable lens camera, and that other lenses actually existed. I discovered 35, fell in love, never looked back. 

This year, I got an MP3 that came with a 50. I also bought, for collecting purposes, a 50 pre asph E46 BP which I've used once only. Yesterday, I was in a shop and bought a Noctilux for no good reason. Just because it was there and I could. I tried it and loved it. So much that I think this summer I will give a chance to 50mm, at least when I'm just hanging around with family. If I went on a proper photo trip, visiting a new country, id leave it home and travel with my 28 Lux only. 

But I really loved the rendering of the Nocti. Sharp, 3D pop, funky swirly bokeh. Balances really well on my SL2S. I'm happy. 

It’s all so inconsistent sometimes it’s difficult to understand.

There's only one thing you need to understand. I'm on a journey. I know the answer to nothing. I'm discovering, experimenting, being curious and happy. I am not inconsistent. I just change my mind sometimes. Only idiots don't. There is a learning curve to lenses. There is a learning curve to life. 

Edited by Steven
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Steven said:

How did you think I ended up with this purchasing power ? 

I suppose i was thinking you were at heart a romantic camera enthusiast who just loved his hobby and spent money he had earned in his professional or business for the sheer joy of it.

I know the wal-mart founder joe walton or something like that would always pick up a dime or whatever if he saw one on the floor which i found a bit bloody stupid when your worth billions but maybe thats why he was rich and not me?

1 hour ago, Steven said:

I have NEVER done that. 

Mmmm

june 8 - Start of thread "Choosing a compact 28mm lens"
june 10 - "I will get the Summaron."
june 30 - "I got the Summaron, I tried it for a month."

if you’ve been trying it for a month, you got it end of May.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

I am not inconsistent

june 27 - "I got the Summaron, and saying I am underwhelmed by it would be an understatement"
june 28 - "I do like it."
june 30 - "I hated it."

Underwhelmed, like it, hate it? Quite inconsistent I’d say.

in your post above you say you have fallen in love with 35mm and never looked back but go on to mention that going on a photo trip you’d take a 28mm only. That is inconsistent.

Like I said, don’t take it badly but yeah, sometimes things don’t quite add up.

• Haha 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb ianman:

Like I said, don’t take it badly but yeah, sometimes things don’t quite add up.

Do we really need to understand, what Steven does ? He is free to do, whatever he wants, no matter if it makes sense to us or not. I bet, there are lots of other forum members practicing similar behavior, the only difference is, that they don`t communicate als freely as Steven does. He has opened up a few threads, which are quite interesting and entertaining. This is all that counts for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No I don’t need to understand what he does and neither do I care. But I would have liked to know that when I spend my time sharing experience when a user is choosing a lens, that he already bought the thing weeks earlier. See dates above...  

Anyway, no prob, case closed. :)

10 hours ago, ianman said:

june 30 - "I got the Summaron, I tried it for a month."

Oops. My bad. Typo. I meant for a week. If needed, I can post the invoice of the lens with the purchase date to prove that I'm not wasting you guys' time. Honest typo. 

• Thanks 2