Leica Noctilux-m 50mm f1.2 ASPH black version is it limited run?

JimmyCheng

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, pedaes said:

There is some very subtle double bluff going on if this is true, as when I was last there the lady working on this clearly was not comfortable being watched. Agree this was surprising as the work stations next to the visitor corridor are a bit of a goldfish bowl!

I think we stared at the same lady lol....  

10 hours ago, pedaes said:

There is some very subtle double bluff going on if this is true, as when I was last there the lady working on this clearly was not comfortable being watched. Agree this was surprising as the work stations next to the visitor corridor are a bit of a goldfish bowl!

The people you can see working in the "Goldfish Bowl" are actually working on lenses and lens assembly. It is a very limited view, and I have been there when some of these windows were covered. On my tour in 2019, we were taken down a completely different hallway. It is to the left of the Goldfish Bowl and behind a locked door. Beyond the locked door, there is a hallway with windows on your left, and workstations on your right. That is where I witnessed actual lenses being ground, one by one. We were not told what lenses these elements were being used for. They might even have been for Cine lenses. Hoya, Schott and others are major suppliers to Leica for glass. Many come in the form of for lack of a better term, blanks, that are roughly the size of the element to be ground. They look like hockey pucks. We were also taken into the repair facility which is very impressive, with a lot of the old tools (hand tools) and lathes, etc that they still use if they need to make a part. We also saw the parts stores. It was truly a behind the scenes tour for my group.

FYI, I am taking another group to Leica Portugal and Wetzlar the first week of November. We will be given a tour of Leica Portugal, which is very rare. Also more behind the scenes tours in Wetzlar, the Oskar Barnack Awards, the Opening of the Museum and a major product launch. Jim Lager will be with our group, and we will see the old factory at Hausertorwerk, the old Leitz Hochhauser, Barnack's and Bereck's houses in town, Haus Friedwart and the cemetery in town where the Leitz family is interred as well as Oskar Barnack and his wife.

If you are interested, please send me a PM and I will send you the details. I have 10 slots and three are taken already. The other seven spots will go quickly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thank you guys for all your replies (although it driftted a bit to other topics at the end lol, I like it nonetheless).

I've decided to put it up for sale and wait for the right time and right price to get one. But after brief testing, I gotta say it really surprised me. wide open at infinity it is sharper than f1 noctiliux and even my pre-a lux 50, that I did not expecct. It is almost on par with the summicron at f2 as for as center sharpness goes (at infinity, at mfd, the modern 50 cron is a bit sharper). I think it is quite a bit sharper than the original one. But the fast fall off is still there to create the unique redering of this lens. 

I am so sad to have to let it go, but rationally speaking, the price I paid for it is way to much unless it is a limited run.

For those of you who are looking into buying this lens, if you can get it for the retailed price, I say go for it. It is truly a lens which inspires you. It is not too big and it handles well. I would pick this lens as my favorite 50mm m lens so far (having used all the 50s except for the apo), it's much more portable than the 0.95 and f1 noct, which is the biggest advantage of the lens.

Edited by JimmyCheng
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, JimmyCheng said:

thank you guys for all your replies (although it driftted a bit to other topics at the end lol, I like it nonetheless).

I've decided to put it up for sale and wait for the right time and right price to get one. But after brief testing, I gotta say it really surprised me. wide open at infinity it is sharper than f1 noctiliux and even my pre-a lux 50, that I did not expecct. It is almost on par with the summicron at f2 as for as center sharpness goes (at infinity, at mfd, the modern 50 cron is a bit sharper). I think it is quite a bit sharper than the original one. But the fast fall off is still there to create the unique redering of this lens. 

I am so sad to have to let it go, but rationally speaking, the price I paid for it is way to much unless it is a limited run.

For those of you who are looking into buying this lens, if you can get it for the retailed price, I say go for it. It is truly a lens which inspires you. It is not too big and it handles well. I would pick this lens as my favorite 50mm m lens so far (having used all the 50s except for the apo), it's much more portable than the 0.95 and f1 noct, which is the biggest advantage of the lens.

This post just cost me $8000!

• Haha 1

If you have a spare €88,000 under your mattress, there's a 'new new' silver chrome 50/1.2 Noctilux asph for sale at Schouten.  That's an impressive return on the list price of £13,000 and makes Jimmy's black one appear quite affordable. 

There must be a further 99 silver chrome ones 'in the wild' if Leica's statement about restricting it to 100 pieces worldwide is correct.

Pete.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rtai said:

This post just cost me $8000!

Omg! Congrats! You won’t regret it. If I have to choose between this and any other 50s including apo and 0.95, I’ll pick this one without a second thought, it’s truly a modern vintage, very very special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JimmyCheng said:

I just heard from a friend of mine from EU that Leica have indeed stopped supplying this lens and it seems it will indeed be a limited run. Can someone confirm this?

I doubt it. I think we have ti wait for things to settle down and get near to the new normal. There are clearly problems with production of new 35mm APO, so who knows (apart from Leica who aren't saying) what issues they have.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:49 AM, rtai said:

Even assuming it is a limited run which we don’t know, 1800 units is not “rare” in the Leica world especially when most people buying it will let it remain in mint condition for decades. It is now possible to buy this lens at normal retail price you just need to have patience. 

1800 is the amount of 35AA around.... It's rare enough to cost 25K... 

I have in my procession a 50 1.2 reedition, unopened box, which I bought because I could, but I dont intend to keep it. I dont like 50mm that much. 

My question is, should I sell it now around 10K (paid 7k) for it, or should I hang on to it and the value will keep going up if they stop production ? 

18 minutes ago, Steven said:

if

That is a big if 'ing risk. If they are inflated price now its because they are new and scarce, and other Stevens 'must have one now' or they will hold their breath and die.. If you can sell for 10k I would do it and not be greedy (and make someone happy).