Whats next for the SL System? End of the Road Already.....

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Sigma has released 5 primes, the 28-75 and the 24-70 rebadged for Leica in less than a year, that's 7 lenses. These lenses have been redesigned from scratch, giving us better lenses, and more compact than their predecessors. I'm sure they have more lenses in the pipeline and that we'll see some new ones before the end of the year. Give them some time

5 primes? https://www.sigma-global.com/en/magazine/m_series/l-mount/l-mount-lineup/

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, oldwino said:

I wouldn’t take the 24-90 hiking. The 28-70, yes. 

Dont know what hiking you are talking about and what type of hiker you are.

I can see when SL is a no no regardless the lens. When SL is OK, 24-90mm is no big deal. If you can differentiate 24-70 and 24-90 in terms of carrying for hiking, you must be good at hair splitting. 

Edited by Einst_Stein

27 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

Dont know what hiking you are talking about and what type of hiker you are.

I can see when SL is a no no regardless the lens. When SL is OK, 24-90mm is no big deal. If you can differentiate 24-70 and 24-90, you must be good at hair splitting. 

24-70 is ~350g heavier than 28-70.  So you probably can feel the difference between 28-70 and 24-90.  I notice that 28-70 is tangibly lighter than an APO prime of the same size (they are almost exactly the same barrel size and both take 67mm filters).

Leica 24-90: 1140g

Sigma 24-70: 835g, Leica 24-70: 856g

Sigma 28-70: 470g

Leica SL APO 50mm: 740g, SL APO 35mm: 750g

Panasonic 24-105: 680g

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, setuporg said:

24-70 is 400g+ heavier than 28-70.  So you probably can feel the difference between 28-70 and 24-90.  I notice that 28-70 is tangibly lighter than an APO prime of the same size (they are almost exactly the same barrel size and both take 67mm filters).

Granted. I am just speaking from hiker’s coomon sense. SL or not is likely to be the decision point.  

I am not saying that lens difference is a twrong criteria, I just see that critera is hair splitting, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom0511 said:

For Hiking I take the 24-105 Pana, even lighter than the 2870 Leica

Lighter than the 24-70 Leica/Sigma, but not the 28-70 Sigma.

I've not tried the Pana, how's f/4 affect the style?  I guess you can't do as much bokeh as we all seem to like here?:)

I’m not even slightly interested in some ever expanding roadmap for the SL……the native SL lenses available are already enough to take a lifetime of wonderful pictures - a pursuit that the endless merry go round of chasing new toys seems to undermine for many photographers 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, trickness said:

I’m not even slightly interested in some ever expanding roadmap for the SL……the native SL lenses available are already enough to take a lifetime of wonderful pictures - a pursuit that the endless merry go round of chasing new toys seems to undermine for many photographers 

It wasn`t a case of chasing new toys more a case of no toys .

The original post was a plea for longer focal lengths for birds and sports .

Leica`s longest is 280 which falls way short and the Sigma offering would appear to have issues at the longer end .

• Like 1

400+ mm in L-mount has been mentioned since the start of the L-system. Leica has made several outstanding long lenses in the past (280mm f2.8, 280mm f4, 400mm f2.8, the modular system, etc.), but the market is likely too small. And the cost would (likely) be very, very high... But in addition to make an optically fine long lens, many/most customers also require a lens with fast & reliable af. Personally, I think the latter is the main challenge, at least with the current state of the L-mount af. But I also guess that things will eventually  converge, and that Sigma will offer long lens(es). 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 2:42 PM, Stuart Richardson said:

I am kind of curious as to what the problem is outside of AF? The SL2 is one of the best cameras I have ever used, and the L mount summicrons ARE the best lenses I have ever used. I understand a lot of people dislike contrast detect AF and I can certainly see that that is an important area for improvement in a future body. As for how it compares to the competition, I think Leica leads the way in interface and ergonomics, as well as having superb integration with M and S lenses, which no other company can claim. The SL system gives you access to a huge selection of the world's best glass, which is only getting better as Sigma and Panasonic flesh it out with high quality, lower priced lenses and camera bodies for special use. Personally, I am very optimistic about the future SL cameras, but I have to admit that I find very little lacking in the SL2...

So true.  And to emphasis this I did a quick run through the list of Leica's lenses that are beautifully integrated and work sometimes even better on an SL than on their native camera system :

• >80 M lenses
  • 10 S lenses
  • 68 R lenses
  • 30 LTM lenses

All from Leica alone.  I did not count the M mount lenses from Voigtländer, Zeiss, Minolta, 7artians and the like.  Or the LTM compatible Canon, Nikon etc from the past.  And I forgot probably the R compatible lenses from other manufacturers. 

The L system is indeed a breakthrough platform that has no equivalent and was build from the ground up with the idea of lens mount compatibility.  No other platform does this so good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Michael Markey said:

It wasn`t a case of chasing new toys more a case of no toys .

Leica`s longest is 280 which falls way short and the Sigma offering would appear to have issues at the longer end .

Then the thread is mistitled, isn’t it? “End of the road”  is a bit melodramatic 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael Markey said:

Not the original post from this thread, which expressed much broader concern about the SL line and its market position/competitiveness.  Lens-wise, the OP (Jeff) has been most vocal about the long delay for his desired wide angle Summicrons. The second post raised the concern about long lenses. Which reminds me, we haven’t see @jplomley since the opening post.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Not the original post from this thread, which expressed much broader concern about the SL line and its market position/competitiveness.  Lens-wise, the OP (Jeff) has been most vocal about the long delay for his desired wide angle Summicrons. The second post raised the concern about long lenses. Which reminds me, we haven’t see @jplomley since the opening post.

Jeff

Just reading the many opinions with much interest as i contemplate my own needs for the SL2 in lieu of the 40 MP capabilities of the M10-R and M10M as being now viable for landscape applications. When I purchased the SL2, it was for the MP boost in order to print landscape images closer to what I was used to from my 4x5 drum scans. At that time, I never would have imagined the M10 series bump in MP. I am now simply over-equipped....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jplomley said:

Just reading the many opinions with much interest as i contemplate my own needs for the SL2 in lieu of the 40 MP capabilities of the M10-R and M10M as being now viable for landscape applications. When I purchased the SL2, it was for the MP boost in order to print landscape images closer to what I was used to from my 4x5 drum scans. At that time, I never would have imagined the M10 series bump in MP. I am now simply over-equipped....

Choices abound, across brands, as the MP race and improvements in technology and lens design continue.  On the Leica side, the M11 will no doubt introduce more considerations.  And probably more at some point for the SL and/or S systems, plus any other surprises.  I’m content for now with SL2 (and 3 lenses) and M bodies (M10 and M9/M10Monochroms and 5 lenses) for my picture and printing needs. I’ll probably sell the M9M and one or two of my 35mm M lenses at some point.  No other significant needs, or excuses, gear-wise for me, except for upgrades on the back end to computer/printer in the next year or two.  The biggest obstacle is time to shoot and print.

Jeff