Whats next for the SL System? End of the Road Already.....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...two more wide angle APO Summicrons left to introduce and then?

What else is there other than the SC primes to differentiate the SL from the competition?

How does Leica keep interest and competitive for this product line in a sea of better performing AF bodies and with MF costs being continuously driven down? Not to mention the M10-R/M10-M are nearly on par with the SL2 IQ-wise.

As someone that has invested in the SL2 and numerous L primes from Leica, I'm a bit concerned what the next L body will look like....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am kind of curious as to what the problem is outside of AF? The SL2 is one of the best cameras I have ever used, and the L mount summicrons ARE the best lenses I have ever used. I understand a lot of people dislike contrast detect AF and I can certainly see that that is an important area for improvement in a future body. As for how it compares to the competition, I think Leica leads the way in interface and ergonomics, as well as having superb integration with M and S lenses, which no other co

+1  ...and we should be happy that Leica's product cycles have been always somewhat longer than competition where esp. new bodies are thrown on the market at rapid pace. This is - in my view - a more sustainable approach in general and a more relaxing approach to my bank account in specific. 

I find the title of this thread quite weird. I get the impression someone tries to impose his (negative) view of things upon us. I weathered the three bad years after the announcement of the original SL and see currently no reason to think pessimistically. The offerings are great and abundant. I actually do not need most of the new products (SL2-S or 2.8/24-70) but I can understand if some want them. Maybe I would buy some native macro lenses from Leica, maybe also a 4/400 or 4/300 len

I too am wondering? What's taking so long for the L alliance to come out with some long telephoto lenses (above 200-280mm) in the L mount? There are enough wide angle, 50mm, 75-90mm lenses to fill a truck. Other than the Leica 90-280, Panasonic 70-200mm (not counting the Sigma 100-400) where are the long telephotos? 

Some of us nature and bird photographers are impatiently waiting for the promised long telephotos.

I guess in 1958 when leica brought out the amazing 35mm summicrom people thought the same thing.

What is there left for the m system?

As long as the L alliance hold there nerve and promote the high quality available from this system and steadily improve it why worry?

I am an M user because i like small cameras and optical viewfinders but i want leica to succeed as a business because i believe they are a special company.

I think generally they seem to be fine operating on lower volumes after launch.

I would expect them to focus on midformat and maybe come up with a cheaper electronic viewfinder S3 version.

Cheers

JK

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Robert E said:

I too am wondering? What's taking so long for the L alliance to come out with some long telephoto lenses (above 200-280mm) in the L mount? There are enough wide angle, 50mm, 75-90mm lenses to fill a truck. Other than the Leica 90-280, Panasonic 70-200mm (not counting the Sigma 100-400) where are the long telephotos? 

Some of us nature and bird photographers are impatiently waiting for the promised long telephotos.

I agree : the L mount alliance seem to be going around in circles .

Leica have a medium tele ,so do the others and then Leica offers a another version of the Sigma medium tele .

The lens line up appears a little constipated to say the least .

They seem to have mistaken movement for action .

Edited by Michael Markey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I suspect that the lens lineup reflects potential sales volumes. After all, it would not be difficult for Sigma to add an l mount version of their existing long lenses if they thought they’d sell. 

1 hour ago, jrp said:

I suspect that the lens lineup reflects potential sales volumes. After all, it would not be difficult for Sigma to add an l mount version of their existing long lenses if they thought they’d sell. 

Sigma has released 5 primes, the 28-75 and the 24-70 rebadged for Leica in less than a year, that's 7 lenses. These lenses have been redesigned from scratch, giving us better lenses, and more compact than their predecessors. I'm sure they have more lenses in the pipeline and that we'll see some new ones before the end of the year. Give them some time

12 hours ago, jplomley said:

...two more wide angle APO Summicrons left to introduce and then?

What else is there other than the SC primes to differentiate the SL from the competition?

How does Leica keep interest and competitive for this product line in a sea of better performing AF bodies and with MF costs being continuously driven down? Not to mention the M10-R/M10-M are nearly on par with the SL2 IQ-wise.

As someone that has invested in the SL2 and numerous L primes from Leica, I'm a bit concerned what the next L body will look like....

Hi Jeff,

I would not discount ergonomics, software as well as physical.  

I don’t need a camera that is world leading in low light, auto focus, high speed (of course improvements in all those things would be a plus), essentially I just ‘need’ a camera which meets my needs in those criteria AND is a joy to use.

I use both my L lens’; and M lens’ on the SL2 via the Leica adapter, it is a combination which is very well thought through, the SL2 reacts beautifully to swapping over to using manual lens’.

Graham

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Simone_DF:

Sigma has released 5 primes, the 28-75 and the 24-70 rebadged for Leica in less than a year, that's 7 lenses. These lenses have been redesigned from scratch, giving us better lenses, and more compact than their predecessors. I'm sure they have more lenses in the pipeline and that we'll see some new ones before the end of the year. Give them some time

These are only the Sigmas from the last months. Totally there are much more L-mount lenses (Leica has not) - from 14mm to 400mm, Macro, f/1,2, f/1.4, Tele-Converter, Yes, they are not from Wetzlar but they are useable (and not bad, sorry I mean they are great). Leica is still a medium  player in photography - so let them time to develop their lineup. And yes, on the long sinde they are no high speed lenses. I use my old 400 Telyt from the early 1970. And it works still great and it's not heavy. A pendant to the Nikon PF lenses (300/500mm) would be nice. But think how long does take to come to market. And I remember the price ftom the later Leica modular system (no chance for me to buy it)

In the mean time we can use the Sigmas. They are as good as Nikon, Canon. So why change the system? A Nikon/Canon with Nikon/Canon lens ist not better than a Leica with Sigma. And many uses their canon or Nikon with Sigma lenses. So a change system makes no sense to me.

I am kind of curious as to what the problem is outside of AF? The SL2 is one of the best cameras I have ever used, and the L mount summicrons ARE the best lenses I have ever used. I understand a lot of people dislike contrast detect AF and I can certainly see that that is an important area for improvement in a future body. As for how it compares to the competition, I think Leica leads the way in interface and ergonomics, as well as having superb integration with M and S lenses, which no other company can claim. The SL system gives you access to a huge selection of the world's best glass, which is only getting better as Sigma and Panasonic flesh it out with high quality, lower priced lenses and camera bodies for special use. Personally, I am very optimistic about the future SL cameras, but I have to admit that I find very little lacking in the SL2...

vor 1 Minute schrieb Stuart Richardson:

Personally, I am very optimistic about the future SL cameras, but I have to admit that I find very little lacking in the SL2...

+1 

...and we should be happy that Leica's product cycles have been always somewhat longer than competition where esp. new bodies are thrown on the market at rapid pace. This is - in my view - a more sustainable approach in general and a more relaxing approach to my bank account in specific. 

Let's see. Over the past year, the L mount has had the most new bodies and new lenses of any full-frame mount. Furthermore, we enjoy the widest variety of cameras. Canon Nikon and Sony seem to turn features on and off, but keep them in the same-sized box, but L-mount users have access to very different types of cameras from Leica, Sigma, and Panasonic. same thing with lenses: we get a huge variety of different lens "looks", compared to other mounts. We also get access to the very best/expensive Leica primes and to very affordable Sigma and Panasonic lenses. None of them are stinkers, frankly. Even the various kit zooms are great.

I agree that Sigma could offer more long lenses in L-mount, if they thought that the market was there. The reality is that ultra-long lenses are prestige items in most camera-brand lineups. Only Canon and Nikon sell them in significant numbers. Leica learned that lesson: their R-mount modular telephoto system is still considered to be the best ever available, and is highly sought-after in the cinema world. Even with all that, I'm sure it was a money loser.

I can’t speak to the commitment of other companies in the alliance, but by Leica standards, the the SL lineup has seen steady growth.  The SL2 was released only a year and a half ago and, within a year, the SL2-S variant already appeared.  The Summicrons keep coming, even if not yet the 21/24, and we have a stellar array of native zooms, including another smaller mid-range option, which could signal other compact zooms.  Apart from AF complaints (of which I have none), the SL2 offers top notch ergonomics, performance and EVF, and has delivered for me as advertised. 

I’ll be curious to see how Leica navigates the future S system, or not, and how it might intersect with the SL path.  In the meantime, the continued integration of control interfaces, lens adaptation, etc, across product lines has been steady and impressive.  Choices abound. 

Jeff

And then, the eternity of taking excellent photos, making beautiful memories, and shooting both videos and photos of your kids with the optics you can enjoy.  Plus no need to come back to this forum, allowing for even more photo time.:)

I feel that the SL system is the most active Leica system. The new small Sigma primes are an excellent addition, and the new Panasonic S 70-300 is exciting. I imagine that SL2 will have a successor that will use the same sensor technology as SL2-S and thus reduce the noise and increase DR.

I don't see anything to be wanted from the new 24-70mm over 24-90mm. Fixed f2.8? big deal !? so what! speed? bokeh? 

It seems to me the problem is that the current SL offering are good enough that left very little to be desired. The SL primes are soooo good that left even Hasselblad X family not shining. If any, may be the weight of the lens. But, would I get 24-70mm f2.8 to replace 24-90 just for the weight? not for me. And it would be stupid to carry both 24-90 and 24-70.   

What about 16-35mm f2.8~4? I doubt it. Maybe.