Voigtlander 28mm Ultron ASPH Type II

28framelines

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, wojtek_87 said:

Was the 35mm ultron II that bad and is the difference so big comparing to 28mm Ultron II?

I am thinking of adding either the second 35mm (to pair with 35 Nokton 1.2II) or 28mm.

The Ultron 35mm ASPH II isn't a bad lens, and it certainly was better than the new Summicron 35mm ASPH II I purchased end of last year and subsequently returned for a back focus and asymmetric optical performance.  

I just found the Ultron 35mm ASPH II underwhelming and frustrating up until around f/5.6 after which it was great. My biggest gripes with it are as follows;

A harsh focus transition with a mid zone dip that had a double edged nervousness (presumably astigmatism) that didn't go away until f/5.6. It was very sharp at the centre, messy in the mid-zone, and sharp again at the edges. This really annoyed me. 

Also, the background OOF areas were not pleasant at all, and the secondary chromatic aberration can take on an ugly or sickly shade of yellow/green. 

The Ultron 28mm ASPH II doesn't have much of a mid-zone dip at all. It's pretty even in rendering on the M11 throughout the frame from f/2 already. Focus transitions and background out of focus areas - while not award winning - are certainly much nicer than the 35mm Ultron. Especially in the greater central area. The 28mm has less chromatic aberrations. 

If you want to choose between the Ultron 28mm or the Ultron 35mm I would definitely, without hesitation, recommend 28mm even if the the 35mm focal length is preferred. Not even the same ballpark on the M11. If you want a better behaved 35mm choose the Color-Skopar 35mm f/2.5, but even then the 28mm is worth twice the price. 

Edited by hmzimelka

1 hour ago, wojtek_87 said:

Was the 35mm ultron II that bad and is the difference so big comparing to 28mm Ultron II?

I am thinking of adding either the second 35mm (to pair with 35 Nokton 1.2II) or 28mm.

Tell you what, it's probably better if you look at some images... PM me and I can then send you some M11 DNG files from the Ultron 35mm ASPH II. 

I shoot nature and landscapes, so my criteria from this lens might be vastly different from yours or others here.

4 hours ago, Musky said:

Instagram 😀 

It’s the only thing I use. 

Taking it out again this weekend. tiny powerhouse 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

it was the any in the sentence that threw me off the instagram answer. 

Nice looking kit you have there 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice lens! I used it for the first time today, on an M9-P.

Spiderman Unmasked.

Boston, Mass 

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

M11 + CV28

1600 iso, F8

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I like this lens so far, big fan of the 28mm size. We had a snowstorm yesterday and then this, very unusual for the area.  No abuse of the saturation slider occurred, just a mild curve, all credit to mother nature. Leica M11 Voigtlander Ultron 28/2 1/60s ISO 64 f4.

• Like 11

• Like 9

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The black version looks really "cheap" to me (the actual lens, not the images). Is it because of the super glossy black paint and the somewhat sloppy lettering? Or maybe the really shiny chrome front ring. It just screams plastic cheap to me for whatever reason. I'm most likely getting the silver version because of how it looks.

2 hours ago, kinetic said:

The black version looks really "cheap" to me (the actual lens, not the images). Is it because of the super glossy black paint and the somewhat sloppy lettering? Or maybe the really shiny chrome front ring. It just screams plastic cheap to me for whatever reason. I'm most likely getting the silver version because of how it looks.

Ever held/owned one? It is all brass and will patina over time just like the black MP. The lens feels very nice in the hand and the black paint looks great in person.

Most of us do wish the chrome ring wasn't there, but the retro hoods hide it completely.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Ever held/owned one? It is all brass and will patina over time just like the black MP. The lens feels very nice in the hand and the black paint looks great in person.

Most of us do wish the chrome ring wasn't there, but the retro hoods hide it completely.

Honestly no I haven't seen one in real life, I'm just going off the photos, so I may be completely off-base for sure. I think it's fair to add that my comment wasn't from real life point of view. That being said, seeing this in photos and videos have always given me the same thought, whereas something like the Leica black lenses have never from photos/videos.

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

It doesn't matter - I have the same problem... :lol: 

You should see how ugly it looks when mounted to the SL2-S 🫠

It's not the friend you want to be seen with at a fancy event, but it is the friend you want to have with you in the apocalypse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kinetic said:

Honestly no I haven't seen one in real life, I'm just going off the photos, so I may be completely off-base for sure. I think it's fair to add that my comment wasn't from real life point of view. That being said, seeing this in photos and videos have always given me the same thought, whereas something like the Leica black lenses have never from photos/videos.

In person the lettering, paint, finish, etc. look top notch. I would have preferred matte black like their recent 35 1.5 and 75 1.9, but they didn't ask me :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kinetic said:

the full chrome is the best offering.

The lens is fantastic, better than the submicron. My favorite 28 is the summilux.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

the full chrome is the best offering.

The lens is fantastic, better than the submicron. My favorite 28 is the summilux.

My favourite is the Summaron, then the summilux. I’m looking for something in between and the Elmarit and summicron aren’t it. So I’ll try the silver ultron v2, hoping it can give me some more character than the cron. 
i don’t know well the 1.9 version, but that one did look good to look at !