Voigtlander 28mm Ultron ASPH Type II

28framelines

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, hmzimelka said:

Do you remember the last time you tried to make this point with lct? You'll be arguing in circles again 😆

If you mean about the merits of pieces of plastic on lenses, i think I was very careful not to say anything about this 😇. 

Edited by lct

M11 with Ultron 28mm ASPH II at f/4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Like 4

M11 with Ultron 28mm ASPH II at f/2.8

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Rabunmoss said:

This lens is the best 28f2 money can buy right now. It’s amazing it exists. The size. The build. The IQ. The colors. The rendering. The smooth focus and aperture. Takes beautiful portraits too wide open. It’s perfect. 

You are forgetting the fantastic reduction of CA and tiny field curvature. I think it is Voigtlander's parade horse in 28mm segment M lenses.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

52 minutes ago, Rabunmoss said:

This lens is the best 28f2 money can buy right now. It’s amazing it exists. The size. The build. The IQ. The colors. The rendering. The smooth focus and aperture. Takes beautiful portraits too wide open. It’s perfect. 

Works great for any camera. Film or digital no matter the megapixels. 

The focus tab isn’t brass, and I don’t care. It’s typical of other brass Voigtlander lenses. The focus tab wears to a white color. 

I can’t find fault. It’s the last 28f2 you’ll ever buy. 

Indeed. 

I purchased the Ultron 35/2 ASPH II at first, which I regretted almost instantly. The Ultron 28mm APSH II is just on another level in image rendering and also build. 

While I miss the 35mm focal length a little, the 28mm is so good it has cured any want for the new Nokton 35/1.5 ASPH. 

I would say very few lenses have ever done that for me...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

M11 + CV 28 Ultron II 

Deauville - France

Edited by romaing
  • Like 8

On 11/30/2022 at 6:09 AM, hmzimelka said:

Indeed. 

I purchased the Ultron 35/2 ASPH II at first, which I regretted almost instantly. The Ultron 28mm APSH II is just on another level in image rendering and also build. 

While I miss the 35mm focal length a little, the 28mm is so good it has cured any want for the new Nokton 35/1.5 ASPH. 

Interesting. I sold my Ultron 28 II as fast as I could. I think I might have liked it if I still had the M11, but on the SL2-S, it didn’t stand out to me in any way over any other f/2 wide angle. At the time, I was also using the LLL 35mm 8-element (collapsible), and I was much more impressed with that lens: color, contrast, sharpness, it sang on the SL2-S sensor.

Edited by hdmesa

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Interesting. I sold my Ultron 28 II as fast as I could. I think I might have liked it if I still had the M11, but on the SL2-S, it didn’t stand out to me in any way over any other f/2 wide angle. At the time, I was also using the LLL 35mm 8-element (collapsible), and I was much more impressed with that lens: color, contrast, sharpness, it sang on the SL2-S sensor.

I can't talk much for the SL2-S and M lenses, but in the very short time I had with the camera it really didn't give me much to chew on compared to a Z6ii I used in parallel. The EVF was so hyped up that I was really expecting something magnificent compared to the Nikon Z6ii, but I was ultimately very unimpressed by the marginal improvement, to my eyes... The optics Leica put in from of the EVF is fantastic, but I still can't focus most M lenses accurately with the SL2-S without zooming in and focusing. Besides, the most annoying feature of the SL2-S' viewfinder is that if set to 120 fps, there is some line skipping that decreases fine detail. Its hard to see at first, but I cannot un-see it.

With regard to the Ultron 28mm ASPH on the SL-2, or even the Z6ii, the lens isn't as impressive as on the M11. The Ultron 35mm had a nervous and ugly mid zone with a notable drop in resolution, which was far less obvious on the SL2-S and Z6ii than compared to the M11. The Ultron 28mm has a little field curvature and an almost imperceptible mid zone dip, which isn't disrupted by astigmatism inducing double edged detail like with the Ultron 35mm ASPH. The little fall-off of detail from centre to edges is quite smooth and the changes are very subtle. The Ultron 35mm ASPH went from very sharp centre to a softer jaggery nervous mid-zone, to sharp edges and corners, and only from f/5.6 did this lens really get good. The focus transitions were also harsh. The only lens that was worse for me than the Ultron 35mm ASPH was the Summicron 35mm ASPH II .
The Ultron 28mm APSH is far less schizophrenic, has a smoother focus transition, with fantastic performance from f/2 even on the M11. With exception of the excessive vignetting wide open, I have no complaints. 

With regard to OOF rendering, the Ultorn 28mm APSH is a fair amount smoother without that sickly shade of yellow/green secondary CA that the Ultron 35mm ASPH has...

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 7:27 AM, hmzimelka said:

With regard to the Ultron 28mm ASPH on the SL-2, or even the Z6ii, the lens isn't as impressive as on the M11. (...)

Hmmm. This seems to suggest that the sensor glass thickness in the SL2 isn't that much thinner than other cameras. My experience is that the 28mm Ultron II is nothing short of impressive when used on cameras with thin enough sensor glass (digital M cameras and modified cameras like Kolari Vision UT mod.). On my Nikon Z7, there is notable outward / reverse field curvature, which makes the lens perform poorer than it can.

1 hour ago, LarsHP said:

Hmmm. This seems to suggest that the sensor glass thickness in the SL2 isn't that much thinner than other cameras. My experience is that the 28mm Ultron II is nothing short of impressive when used on cameras with thin enough sensor glass (digital M cameras and modified cameras like Kolari Vision UT mod.). On my Nikon Z7, there is notable outward / reverse field curvature, which makes the lens perform poorer than it can.

I think my experience was more a factor of the 24MP imager in the SL2-S and 24mp that just lowered the playing field for other lenses that were compared to the Ultron 28mm ASPH. On the M11 the differences were much more pronounced. 

• Like 1

To all you Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2 ASPH shooters, I wanted to ask…

(1) Is there an updated lens correction profile for LR or do you use the one of the non-ASPH version? 
(2) Which lens profile do you have enabled in the in-camera lens detection (M246/M240/M240-P)? Do you have it turned off, or is, for instance, the Leica Summicron 28mm f/2 profile a proper workaround?

P.S. Hello! I am new to the forum.

1 hour ago, Garry. said:

(1) Is there an updated lens correction profile for LR or do you use the one of the non-ASPH version? 
(2) Which lens profile do you have enabled in the in-camera lens detection (M246/M240/M240-P)? Do you have it turned off, or is, for instance, the Leica Summicron 28mm f/2 profile a proper workaround?

Hi Garry, welcome :)

1) I only see the older Ultron 28mm f/2 profile in LR... 
No, I use manual vignette correction if I need to correct for it.

2) I have the Ultron coded to the Summicron 28mm ASPH. 011010
Seems sufficient for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JuveFC said:

I'm in the market for a 28mm and the Ultron II seems very appealing. Unsure between that and the Elmarit 28mm ASPH. I've always been a Leica only guy then I purchased the CV 50mm APO and that kind of changed my perspective on things. 

You may want to look at the review thread on FredMiranda. I have the Voigtlander and love it, excellent lens. 
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1704868

On 12/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, Garry. said:

I use the Zeiss Biogon 28mm ZM lens profile, since I haven't seen a profile for the Ultron II in ACR.

• Like 1

M11 with Ultron 28mm ASPH II at f/5.6 and locked to MFD

• Like 6

On 11/30/2022 at 1:09 PM, hmzimelka said:

Indeed. 

Was the 35mm ultron II that bad and is the difference so big comparing to 28mm Ultron II?

I am thinking of adding either the second 35mm (to pair with 35 Nokton 1.2II) or 28mm.

1 hour ago, wojtek_87 said:

Was the 35mm ultron II that bad and is the difference so big comparing to 28mm Ultron II?

I am thinking of adding either the second 35mm (to pair with 35 Nokton 1.2II) or 28mm.

Neither are bad in my book. The way i use them i see the Ultron 35/2 asph as a smaller Summicron 35/2 asph with more busy bokeh while the Ultron 28/2 asph would be a sort of Elmarit 28/2.8 asph + more than decent f/2 capabilities.

• Like 1