Voigtlander 28mm Ultron ASPH Type II

28framelines

6 hours ago, Chimichurri said:

Yea mine is black paint. It’s white underneath like yours. Focus tab may be metal but it’s probably not brass. Only the body is brass. 

look at this worn out Skopar. Everything looks brassed except the focus tab (and the hood?). It’s like ours.

That old focus tab looks way better than the photo of the worn 28 Ultron tab. The Ultron tab's paint looks like it's completely pealing off once it's chipped, which is either due to lack of surface prep, inferior paint formula, or both.

Edited by hdmesa

8 hours ago, Chimichurri said:

Yea mine is black paint. It’s white underneath like yours. Focus tab may be metal but it’s probably not brass. Only the body is brass. 

look at this worn out Skopar. Everything looks brassed except the focus tab (and the hood?). It’s like ours.

What lens is this, btw?

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

The Ultron tab's paint looks like it's completely pealing off once it's chipped, which is either due to lack of surface prep, inferior paint formula, or both.

You are correct, it will just advance with slightest friction. Could be any or both. Cosina acknowledged it under warranty yet I wonder if it will happen again once I get it back.

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

You are correct, it will just advance with slightest friction. Could be any or both. Cosina acknowledged it under warranty yet I wonder if it will happen again once I get it back.

Maybe a batch of the tabs missed a surface preparation step, and the replacement tab will be ok. If not, they will need to come up with a fix.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10-P Reporter + Voigtlander Ultron 28/2 II

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

M10-P Reporter + Voigtlander Ultron 28/2 II

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 1:36 AM, romaing said:

M11 + CV 28 Ultron II.
At F4 if I remember...

Did you add vignetting to this pic or is it really that heavy from the lens?

4 hours ago, Huss said:

Did you add vignetting to this pic or is it really that heavy from the lens?

The vignetting at f/4 is about the same if not a little less than the Summicron 28mm ASPH II. This image either cannot be f/4 or the vignette was added in post.

The Ultron just vignettes objectionably at f/2. Even at f/2.8 it's a lot better. 

On 11/26/2022 at 5:24 AM, hmzimelka said:

The vignetting at f/4 is about the same if not a little less than the Summicron 28mm ASPH II. This image either cannot be f/4 or the vignette was added in post.

The Ultron just vignettes objectionably at f/2. Even at f/2.8 it's a lot better. 

I can confirm that the Ultron II vignettes less at f/4 than the Summicron Asph II (but more at f/2).

On real world photos i can't seem to see differences between Summicron 28/2 v2 and Ultron 28/2 asph v1 re vignetting at f/4. Comparisons are not very easy though as the actual focal length of the Ultron is slightly longer than that of the Summicron which FoV is a bit wider accordingly. F2 is another story as mentioned above but the Ultron is significantly smaller.

Several photos made with a Leica M10 and the 28mm Ultron II during a recent trip to Greece.

• Like 2

Euphorbia Virosa growing on a Granite mountain.

M11 with Ultron 28mm ASPH II

• Like 3

On 11/27/2022 at 7:10 PM, lct said:

On real world photos i can't seem to see differences between Summicron 28/2 v2 and Ultron 28/2 asph v1 re vignetting at f/4. Comparisons are not very easy though as the actual focal length of the Ultron is slightly longer than that of the Summicron which FoV is a bit wider accordingly. F2 is another story as mentioned above but the Ultron is significantly smaller.

I am referring to Ultron II, not the first version. That said, while the difference is there, it is not a big one. I had both lenses at the same time and put a thin, white piece of plastic on the lenses (using an adapter ring) and took test shots in a very evenly lit condition, so I can confidently say that the less vignetting is real. See the results here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17lD1EHQUpqPKRzU1hHIbNhlCpNGjI32w/view?usp=share_link

Whether that is of importance in practical use is another matter. However, since the Ultron II has clearly more optical vignetting than the Summicron Asph II (both) shot wide open, I think it is worth noting that this disadvantage changes to a slight advantage at f/4 and f/5.6. I speculate that the Ultron II has a longer exit pupil than the 'cron.

Edited by LarsHP

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LarsHP said:

I am referring to Ultron II, not the first version. That said, while the difference is there, it is not a big one. I had both lenses at the same time and put a thin, white piece of plastic on the lenses (using an adapter ring) and took test shots in a very evenly lit condition, so I can confidently say that the less vignetting is real. See the results here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17lD1EHQUpqPKRzU1hHIbNhlCpNGjI32w/view?usp=share_link

Whether that is of importance in practical use is another matter. However, since the Ultron II has clearly more optical vignetting than the Summicron Asph II (both) shot wide open, I think it is worth noting that this disadvantage changes to a slight advantage at f/4 and f/5.6. I speculate that the Ultron II has a longer exit pupil than the 'cron.

Do you remember the last time you tried to make this point with lct? You'll be arguing in circles again 😆