Voigtlander 28mm Ultron ASPH Type II

28framelines

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The new voigtlander lens uses a very small filter, and I only have the 46mm filter that Leica sent me decades ago.  I was supposed to get two of them.  Regarding the above image, the two things I was curious about were resolution, and what the out-of-focus areas might look like.  My original purpose for buying a 28mm lens was for the M8.2, but I can see now that it will be even more handy on my M10.  With Nikon, I have zooms the cover everything I could ever want.  Not so much with Leica.  

Mid-morning tomorrow, if it's sunny, I'll take a photo with both cameras and my new 28, using the IR cut filter held in front of the lens for the M8.  For all these years, I haven't been all that concerned about the IR "issues" with the M8.  I can always correct the colors in PhotoLab.  Actually, other than for taking real IR photos, I have no real reason to be using the M8 at all, except that I'm stubborn, and just enjoy doing so.  It needs to go off to Leica to correct some blown pixels, and I guess they'll clean and lubricate it at the same time.

Back to the new (to me) 28mm lens, I expected "small", but I didn't expect it to be so compact when I opened the box.  To me, it is very light.  I read somewhere that the focusing was "tight", but on my lens it is perfectly smooth and easy to adjust.  I don't know why the font for all the lens markings is so much smaller than on my 24 Color Skopar.  To be honest, I prefer the design and style of the Color Skopar, but it's not any big deal.

Along with the lens hood, I think I need to buy an appropriate ND filter, so I can open up my aperture to get out of focus backgrounds.  What strength filters do you guys recommend?

......and if I haven't already said it, thank you VERY much for all the advice.  I was minutes away from ordering the used 28 Color Skopar from B&H, before I read up on this better lens.  

M11 + CV 28 Ultron II.
At F4 if I remember...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

As I see it, I need to see two things, both the full image, as in the beautiful image up above (in so many ways) and also to see part of the image at 100% size.  I check all my images in DxO PhotoLab while editing them, and I'm always curious to see how much the sensor & lens captured.  It's not fair for me judge my M8 photos the same way I do for an M11 photo, but maybe that's not really true at 100%.    If I were to cut out a one inch square of image from both of them, and compare them side by side, I suspect that the M8 image might look just as good as the M11 image - but at 100% size the M11 image would be huge!  On the other hand, comparing those two 1" images, the quality of the lens would might make a huge difference, but vintage lenses capture a different kind of quality than the very latest designs.

From what I can see in the image up above, you, the M11, and the lens all did their part beautifully, and the composition certainly helped a lot.  Beautiful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeMyers said:

As I see it, I need to see two things, both the full image, as in the beautiful image up above (in so many ways) and also to see part of the image at 100% size.  I check all my images in DxO PhotoLab while editing them, and I'm always curious to see how much the sensor & lens captured.  It's not fair for me judge my M8 photos the same way I do for an M11 photo, but maybe that's not really true at 100%.    If I were to cut out a one inch square of image from both of them, and compare them side by side, I suspect that the M8 image might look just as good as the M11 image - but at 100% size the M11 image would be huge!  On the other hand, comparing those two 1" images, the quality of the lens would might make a huge difference, but vintage lenses capture a different kind of quality than the very latest designs.

From what I can see in the image up above, you, the M11, and the lens all did their part beautifully, and the composition certainly helped a lot.  Beautiful!

Thank you!

A bunch of pictures ( 5 ), 100% size here :
https://we.tl/t-Lx1ALQEOKX

(it looks like I can't send mp)

Edited by romaing

21 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

and if I haven't already said it, thank you VERY much for all the advice.  I was minutes away from ordering the used 28 Color Skopar from B&H, before I read up on this better lens.  

You are very welcome. Hope it brings you as much joy as it does to me.

M10R

• Like 12

2 hours ago, otto.f said:

This image deserves more than just being an illustration of some 28 lens

You like it? He was flying up and down with his buddy

They’re growing their feathers back. I didn’t know they lost them every year. There are a bunch at the park here. 

• Like 4

Back to my lens testing.  I only used my M10, as that's the best that I've got.  Photo was taken 8:30am from my balcony in Miami Beach, aimed at the city of Miami and the cruise ships.  Camera was on a tripod, and I tried to use the built-in tool to position the camera "level".  Just in case, I took 5 bracketed photos, but the one I selected was the "middle" setting, what the camera thought was best.  The histogram is centered, so I think that confirms the exposure.  

I edited the images in the latest version of DxO PhotoLab, version 6.  The only editing I did was to add my watermark and apply the noise removal tool.  Everything else is SOOC.   I don't know how to post a full-size image in this forum, so I set the jpg quality setting to 90%, and exported it as 2400 pixels wide.

This is the best I know how to do - to my eyes, the Voigtlander 28mm Ultron ASPH type II is as perfect as I've ever seen (but I've never seen results from the new multi-thousand dollar Leica lenses, as I can't afford them.  I'm viewing the image on both my 21" iMac, and my 27" ASUS high res display, and the image (at 100%) is certainly better when viewed on my ASUS.

This gives me three lenses that look "perfect" to me, this lens and my 50mm Voigtlander f/2 APO-LANTHAR, and my very old Leica 90mm f/4 TELE ELMAR.

I've also got a 1960's 35mm Leica Summilux, which I have always considered to be sharp, but people who know far more than I say it is "vintage".

Back to this lens, the only thing I see that I might need to correct is a little vignetting; If I can get PhotoLab to recognize this lens, maybe they have a correction for it, not that I mind.  I'm happy with the image straight from the camera.

Edited by MikeMyers

Just for comparison....    I replaced the Voigtlander with my 35mm Summilux, same settings, same exposure, same-same, and took a comparison photo.  Maybe this will show me what people refer to as "vintage".  Maybe I should buy a 35mm Voigtlander?

2 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

This is the best I know how to do - to my eyes, the Voigtlander 28mm Ultron ASPH type II is as perfect as I've ever seen (but I've never seen results from the new multi-thousand dollar Leica lenses

Well. I own this 28 and the Summicron 50 v5 that costs 3x the price.

As far as IQ the Voigtlander is as good as a Summicron.

The 50 Cron has its own rendering and personality and I love it more. There is something to be said about Leica 50 Cron glass mated to a Leica sensor… the magic glow is real ,

but I’m pretty sure if you compare this Ultron with the 28 Cron there won’t be much difference at all. And the Ultron is smaller. 

The best guy to watch is MrLeica aka Matt Osbourne on YouTube. He has all the comparisons there. 

Edited by Chimichurri
  • Like 1

@Al Brown,and @lct, I looked over those three lenses:

http://gear.vogelius.se/-reviews/leica-summicron-40/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1626710-REG/voigtlander_ba351c_ultron_vintage_line_35mm.html

https://jacktaka.com/voigtlander-35mm-f2-apo

Quoting from that last link, "If you don’t need extreme performance in your 35mm lens, the most sensible option is probably the Voigtlander 35mm f/2 Ultron. It’s extremely compact yet delivers great image quality..."  I enjoy the compact design of the lens I just bought.  I guess I'll just think about this for a while, before I consider buying anything, and in the meantime I've got my 35mm Summilux.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll stop typing, and just sit back and read for a while.

Edited by MikeMyers

9 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

@Al Brown,and @lct, I looked over those three lenses:

http://gear.vogelius.se/-reviews/leica-summicron-40/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1626710-REG/voigtlander_ba351c_ultron_vintage_line_35mm.html

https://jacktaka.com/voigtlander-35mm-f2-apo

Quoting from that last link, "If you don’t need extreme performance in your 35mm lens, the most sensible option is probably the Voigtlander 35mm f/2 Ultron. It’s extremely compact yet delivers great image quality..."  I enjoy the compact design of the lens I just bought.  I guess I'll just think about this for a while, before I consider buying anything, and in the meantime I've got my 35mm Summilux.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll stop typing, and just sit back and read for a while.

I have the 40/2 Summicron and it is one of my fav 3 Leica lenses. Find some interrsting threads on these two on this forum here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/334772-ultron-35-vs-summicron-c-40/#comment-4475172

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/324524-leitz-summicron-c-40mm-f2-a-little-hidden-gem-appreciation-thread/#comment-4275121

Edited by Al Brown

• 2 weeks later...

I really love my Voigtlander 28mm Ultron ASPH Type II. Its focusing tab’s paint suddenly started chipping though. Professional use. It is getting worse with time.

Strangely, there is no brass underneath. Must be some cost saving thingy.

Cosina has informed me that this will be fixed under warranty and that the lead time is up to 12 weeks.

Sending in today.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I really love my Voigtlander 28mm Ultron ASPH Type II. Its focusing tab’s paint suddenly started chipping though. Professional use. It is getting worse with time.

Strangely, there is no brass underneath. Must be some cost saving thingy.

Cosina has informed me that this will be fixed under warranty and that the lead time is up to 12 weeks.

Sending in today.

Mine has 2 very small chips too. After 1 year. I don’t mind it. It’s just the way it is. It would be better if it was brass though. 

3 hours ago, 28framelines said:

It’s certainly supposed to be brass if it’s the Black Paint option.

Yea mine is black paint. It’s white underneath like yours. Focus tab may be metal but it’s probably not brass. Only the body is brass. 

look at this worn out Skopar. Everything looks brassed except the focus tab (and the hood?). It’s like ours.

Edited by Chimichurri