Voigtlander 28mm Ultron ASPH Type II

28framelines

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL2-S -|- f2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 11

• Like 9

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

The only "fault" with the 28mm Ultron II compared to the Summicron Asph II is optical vignetting IMO. It is clearly visible even in the mid-frame. However, I speculate that it has a markedly longer exit pupil, since the loss of illumination outside the center isn't as strong as the optical vignetting suggests (compared to the 'cron).

I have added this to the folder I already have shared:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ngYCuU1OzRZVbnbjGtwge1Mx78vuUp8q

5 hours ago, otto.f said:

I don’t see what you mean here, I see  no relevant differences between the lenses? And the Leica a bit more disturbing at 18mm off centre

OK. I should perhaps point out that the images show a halogen spot out of focus, and that the interesting part is how the bright part (the halogen bulb itself) looks.

3mm off center crops shows practically no difference, but in the two others shows obvious differences between the two lenses. The Ultron II has markedly more truncation, both 10mm and 18mm off center.

Regarding the Leica 18mm off center, you are right. It has a bit of a nervous bokeh tendency outside the center.

• 3 weeks later...

Very happy with this lens! I got it in July and used it a lot with my M6. Here's a few shots.

• Like 2

And

• Like 2

I just read all the way through this long thread.  Perhaps I should have done so before ordering the lens yesterday, but now I'm even happier with my choice.

I bought it for the wrong reason.  I wanted a sort of more wide angel-ish lens for my M8.2, where my 35 behaves like a normal lens.  I bought a Voigtlander 24mm Color Skopar years ago, which works great, but it's much wider coverage than I wanted, not to mention with my glasses I can't see the full image in the viewfinder.  The 28 seemed like a perfect choice.  At the time, I wasn't thinking much about my M10, but from everything I've been reading, I'm going to enjoy this lens even more on my M10.

It seems to be a Leica quality lens, at one fifth the price, and for bonus points it is very small and compact.  

I used to wonder what the perfect lens size would be for walking around looking for photos.  The 50 is the obvious answer, but to me it "feels" like a telephoto lately.  I guess I switched to 35 long ago for when I go off on "photo walkabouts".  Seeing all the lovely photos you all have posted, I'm starting to think that the 28 might be the best choice for me, for when I'm walking around with only one lens.

Not sure if I need a lens hood or not - if so, the "LH12 CV" seems to be what I ought to buy.  Anybody here have a better recommendation?

• Like 4

18 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

the "LH12 CV" seems to be what I ought to buy.  Anybody here have a better recommendation?

Get the LH4n, it has a lot less viewfinder blockage. 

I have no understanding why on earth anyone would design, let alone buy, a hood like the LH12 on a rangefinder camera: on the 28 in question, when you focus a bit closer, it blocks so much of the frame! Not that the LH4n is no offender at all, but a cut-out is fundamental in my opinion. And that makes the vented LH4n a much better option:

first one no hood, focus at 2m. Second is the LH12, third the LH4n

Edited by Harpomatic
  • Like 4

First photo taken with my new (used) lens, still using my M8.2 - tomorrow I'll shoot with my M10.  Minimal editing.  This probably isn't a fair test of the lens, and I really ought to shoot using a tripod for testing.  Will do so tomorrow.