Voigtlander 28mm Ultron ASPH Type II

28framelines

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Echo & The Bunnymen in West Flanders, Belgium. M10-R & 28mm Voigt Ultron ASPH II (coded as Leica's own).
PS. The singer Ian McCulloch stays dim and unlit during the entire concert.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• Like 14

Hi friends, quick update: I received the 28mm Ultron II yesterday. Gorgeous little lens, smooth well dampened focus and solid reliable aperture ring. Looks promising, need to put it under decent real life testing but this will ad versatility in my documentary and personal projects. Couple of test shots on M10M and M240 (yeah, still works!)...

• Like 8

Some from this afternoon...

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 10:37 AM, sergiomarried said:

Hi friends, quick update: I received the 28mm Ultron II yesterday. Gorgeous little lens, smooth well dampened focus and solid reliable aperture ring. Looks promising, need to put it under decent real life testing but this will ad versatility in my documentary and personal projects. Couple of test shots on M10M and M240 (yeah, still works!)...

Your cameras may say the lens is fantastic. But let's see what your beloved Nokton says :lol:

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 6:37 AM, Dennis said:

Your cameras may say the lens is fantastic. But let's see what your beloved Nokton says :lol:

Nokton says “I miss you, why?” 😅damn… This 28mm is a great lens (too sharp and contrasty perhaps!) but I’ve been using 35mm as my daily/go-to for years… I’ll play a bit more with 28mm and will be a valuable addition for indoor/tight scenes but 35mm will always be my natural view of the world and how I love documenting…  

Edited by sergiomarried
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While I also see the world a little more in 35mm, the 28 Ultron is so nice that I'll make it work over the 35 Ultron.

No buyers remorse on this one... :) 

• Like 17

On 6/22/2022 at 8:36 AM, 28framelines said:

So, I ended up selling my Ultron II for the Elmarit for this reason, and one other, and I want to ask you specifically Lars, as I know you sing high praises of the Ultron. The other reason I sold it was it was near impossible to mount the lens on my MP properly; the lens wouldn’t seat (click into place) without twisting very, very hard on the lens to the point that I was worried about the mount. I thought I was crazy, but had someone else try it as well at a camera store. I sent it back and received a new copy; same issue. So I simply gave up on the lens. Have you experienced this?

I have an MP and got the lens two weeks ago and have had no issues whatsoever. The lens is stunning on film and looks great on the MP BP also. Like many have said before  the only thing I'd change is the chrome on the front of the lens. I'd bet sales would jump if they got rid of the chrome on all their lenses!

• 3 weeks later...

Started up filling my flickr album on the lens with trips to Lisbon (loaner SL2-S), NYC and Japan (both M10-P).

I'm on the verge of switching to the SL2-S - for now I'm gonna keep both systems, to replace the 28/2 will be tough. But fokus peaking with a 28/2 isn't ideal and I need to magnify too often to be certain.

• Like 10

28 Ultron, M10R

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 10:59 PM, insomnia said:

The lens is sharp corner to corner, it does not flare, it has a decent bokeh, it vignettes and it is somewhat small. It costs SIGNIFICANTLY less while build quality is equal and optical quality is better. Just do it, unless you need the Leica stamp of approval.

Images on M10-P, wide open or close to it, mildly cropped.

You can also have a look here, it will begin to fill up after my NYC trip (just came home):

Flickr Album - Voigtländer 28/2 Ultron ASPH

Love this last picture. Are you using any lens coding/profile?

• Like 2

Yeah I like the depth as well - only a fast wide-angle lens on full frame will give you this!

I use it as 28 Summicron in the camera, I'm changing the Exif-Data with a small script to correctly mark it as Voigtländer. In Lightroom I don't apply any corrections unless I need 100 % straight lines, then I apply the profile. I don't do this automated because most of the time I like the natural vignetting it produces.

This shot specifically was cropped, colored and exposure lifted by about 2 stops, I attached the original for you consideration. With the M10 I'm always a bit cautious of my highlights, I could have easily recovered more cloud structures, but I didn't want it too look too HDR-ish.

Edited by insomnia
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, timo01 said:

Guys, short question :)

That one or the elmarit 28 2.8? 

Between the Ultron 28/2 ASPH II and the 28mm Elmarit I would pick the Ultron in an instant. I don't even need to think about it. 

I had the Elmarit 28mm ASPH I, and I was quite disappointed with it on the M10M and M11, even at f/8. The Elmarit is more compact and lighter to focus. 

Optical performance of the Ultron is miles ahead, but it's biggest negative for me is the vignetting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, timo01 said:

Guys, short question :)

I went the opposite route as the above post. I had multiple copies of the 28 Ultron ASPH Type II and it didn’t mount on my camera properly (I wrote about it a couple pages back) and it frustrated me that it focuses down to 0.5m when my MP is only coupled to 0.7m. I sold it and bought a 28mm Elmarit ASPH II used from the Leica shop in Montreal. That being said, nothing really to complain about image quality wise on the Ultron; in fact, after looking through my photos I took with the lens, the vignette it produces on digital is much less noticeable on film.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timo01 said:

I have no experience with the v2 version of those lenses, only the v1 of them but i'm not good at comparing lenses of different apertures sorry. All i can say is the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph is my favorite compact 28 on M cameras but i have a Summicron 28/2 already so the Ultron 28/2 has little use there but its vignetting is not a problem on the digital CL and thanks to its compact size i tend to use it on the latter exclusively. I bought it for the CL to be honest but if i were on a budget i would use it with pleasure on M cameras too.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its pretty much stuck on my M11 these days for casual walk around happy snap purposes - razor sharp , great contrast...I find that the 35 Ultra and 50 APO I picked up to try out - good as they are have become redundant for my street shooting purposes ...

• Like 5

• Like 1

Leica MP Kodak Vision 3 250D

Great lens! I find it a perfect combo with the MP for street photography around London

• Like 1