Framing a shot with a 21mm lens on a Leica M10

1 hour ago, steve 1959 said:

voigtlander metal 21/25mm viewfinder.

When you use it with a 21mm FL, do the 25mm lines are in the way, like the 75 frames lines are for the 50mm? I would mask my frame lines tomorrow. 75 and 135, bye bye.

That's my only concern about this VF. I would love just the 21 frame lines, but not so expensive as the Leica

12 minutes ago, Ray Vonn said:

You most certainly need the OVF with a 21mm, no matter how familiar you are with the lens.  So much so if I take the 21mm out and realise the OVF isn't in the bag, I don't bother.  Leica OVF's can be had for dirt cheap too if you look around and are a bit patient. 

Thanks, Ray.

When you say dirt cheap for the Leica OVF, how low have you seen them and where?

Steve

36 minutes ago, Dennis said:

When you use it with a 21mm FL, do the 25mm lines are in the way, like the 75 frames lines are for the 50mm? I would mask my frame lines tomorrow. 75 and 135, bye bye.

That's my only concern about this VF. I would love just the 21 frame lines, but not so expensive as the Leica

The extra frame lines do not bother me but neither do the extra frame lines on the leica m finder.

The 21mm view in the external finder is actually quite close to the 25mm when you deliberately compare them as i just have in response to your post.

The voigtlander 21/25 VF is  a high quality piece of kit without a shadow of doubt.

One thing to keep in mind with external viewfinders is it is possible to lose them,,,,i was at gloucester docks in the uk the other night and dropped the finder on the floor about 1 metre from the waters edge!  lucky escape.

I really enjoy using the finder though,its lovely,,,,,,,,,,,,,,im a leica fanboy but also a cosina/voigtlander fanboy.

I use a 21mm as my primary lens for street photography and I don’t use an external viewfinder because I have a pretty idea the coverage of the focal length. The most important part is to keep the camera level so the OVF is useful for that not so much the 28mm framelines. For more precise framing I can use the rear LCD which is what I do for static subjects. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, rtai said:

I use a 21mm as my primary lens for street photography and I don’t use an external viewfinder because I have a pretty idea the coverage of the focal length. The most important part is to keep the camera level so the OVF is useful for that not so much the 28mm framelines. For more precise framing I can use the rear LCD which is what I do for static subjects. 

I agree.  My experience as well.

Edited by m410
vor 2 Stunden schrieb david strachan:

It's been mentioned a couple of times...use live view;  perfect composition, exposure and focus. So why is this thread still running for viewfinder discussions, in fact why at all...😑

. . . because some disagree 😇 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Steve Miller said:

Thanks, Ray.

When you say dirt cheap for the Leica OVF, how low have you seen them and where?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I’m speaking from my own experience and after spending a day or two searching on and off on eBay, managed to snag a Leica one for approx $100. That surprised me to the extent I considered it “dirt cheap” (Leica tax n’all that). Maybe one day someone will appear next to me with a Voigtlander OVF and I can let off some sort of knowing smug smirk.

Edited by Ray Vonn
8 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

The extra frame lines do not bother me but neither do the extra frame lines on the leica m finder.

The 21mm view in the external finder is actually quite close to the 25mm when you deliberately compare them as i just have in response to your post.

The voigtlander 21/25 VF is  a high quality piece of kit without a shadow of doubt.

One thing to keep in mind with external viewfinders is it is possible to lose them,,,,i was at gloucester docks in the uk the other night and dropped the finder on the floor about 1 metre from the waters edge!  lucky escape.

I really enjoy using the finder though,its lovely,,,,,,,,,,,,,,im a leica fanboy but also a cosina/voigtlander fanboy.

I have tried Voigtlander 21/25mm external OVF and noticed its loose fitting into the camera's hot shoe. it was the deal breaker. 

Leica's latest 21mm (and presumably 18mm and 24mm) OVF have a slit running parallel to the edge of the foot so it can be adjusted to increase grip when inserted into the hot shoe, picture to follow.

7 hours ago, david strachan said:

It's been mentioned a couple of times...use live view;  perfect composition, exposure and focus. So why is this thread still running for viewfinder discussions, in fact why at all...😑

Because the lens is being used on a rangefinder camera. If you use live view there is no point shooting on a rangefinder. In fact it might be as cheap to buy a different camera and lens than a suitable rangefinder lens if you are happy to use live view.

10 hours ago, david strachan said:

Because Live View is clunky AF.

Thanks everyone for your help. Yesterday, I bought a used CV 21/3.5 in mint condition from Camera Quest and will try it out when I get it over the weekend. I'll see if the combo of getting a feel for the composition from the 28mm frame lines in the M10 VF supplemented by LV meets my needs. Otherwise, I'll try to pick up a used copy of either the Leica or Voigt 21 mm OVF.

Thanks again,

Steve

14 hours ago, mmradman said:

I have tried Voigtlander 21/25mm external OVF and noticed its loose fitting into the camera's hot shoe. it was the deal breaker. 

Leica's latest 21mm (and presumably 18mm and 24mm) OVF have a slit running parallel to the edge of the foot so it can be adjusted to increase grip when inserted into the hot shoe, picture to follow.

That's a fair critical comment on the finder although i actually dropped mine out of my hand and its never fallen off the camera but interesting to hear the adjustment option on the leica finder.